The Canon line - in review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I was a little late out of the gate with testing these, as I only received them on Monday afternoon. But these are my first impressions of the 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3.5Ohm Cannons.

What are the Cannons? The Cannons use a similar technology as the 801 minis, but with a native 510 connection. They are powder coated not painted and therefore should wear nicely. They come with a gold etching with regards to their resistance. They look well made and to me anyway look very classy.

The test equipment used for this review was Caramel tobacco at 16mg 100% VG from BlueMist vaping. The consistency is similar to a 70/30% PG/VG mix on the following devices:

• Omega firing an AW 18650 2600mAh battery for 3.7V;
  • Omega firing 2 x AW LifePo batteries for 6V;
  • Omega firing 2 x AW RCR123A batteries for 7V;
  • 3.7V box mod firing a UF 14500 battery 900mAh;
  • 5V box mod firing 2 x TF 14500 batteries 900mAh; and
  • GLV2 firing 2 x AW 16340 IMRs @ 550mAh
Priming
As with all 801s or similar atties, I add 8 drops, dry fire (without inhaling) 2 x 1 sec pulse, add 2 more drops and vape away. This is pre-warming the atomizer which pays large dividends on the 306s and I have become accustomed to doing this with all my atties of late. My beliefs, if it works for the 306s, it can't possibly hurt anything else.

I did this for the 1.8Ohm only. I fired it on the Omega with the 18650 and could immediately feel on the pull it was not sufficiently primed. I remembered what I believe 5Card mentioned (excuse me if it someone else) that they prime right to below the top of the bridge. So I added more drops to the top of the bridge, and subsequently primed the others in this fashion.

I now prime to 12 drops, 2 x 1 sec dry fires, and vape away replenishing as required. Unlike many atties, these will definitely tell you when they require a topping off. Without trying to sound conceited here, if you cannot distinguish when they need to be dripped, you should not be dripping IMHO.

Testing
The first unit tested was the 1.8Ohm LR Cannon. It was tested on the Omega firing the 18650. Woa! Too much heat. I could actually taste it. Like all IKV atties, they do not come with any primer, so it wasn't a funky taste or whatever, it tasted hot. That combo should be producing in the vicinity of 7.1W, very respectable for most vapers. I have vaped higher wattage in the past and never received this kind of hit.

So I changed devices and fired it on the 3.7V box mod. Ahhhh, bliss! Vapour production was great and as expected for a full VG liquid. Flavour came through as expected, the TH a nice thump in the back of the throat and the vapour was cooler than what is to be expected from an 801. Not surprising because the atty is not an 801 but does indeed vape like the eGo Mega atties ;)

The specs for this test as well as the 2Ohms are as follows:

• 1.8 on the Omega with 18650 3.9V and 3V respectively unloaded and loaded;
  • 1.8 on the box mod, 3.9V and 3.1V;
  • 2 on the Omega with 18650 3.9V and 3.1V; and
  • 2 on the box mod 3.9V and 3.2V.
Vaping perceptions
Both atomizers provided an airy vape, not something that I particularly like. Vaping in air takes away from enjoying the selected liquid to its full potential as you are drawing in too much air in comparison with vapour. This to some is preferred, but to me a bone of contention.

Vapour production was fantastic with the 1.8 winning over the 2, however not by a large margin and if I was to score the delta, the margin would 0.1-0.2 only.

Throat hit is a factor of PG content, nic level and vapour production. With 100% VG liquids the TH is somewhat subdued, compounding it with lower nic levels should negate TH no, one could easily sense the TH using these atties. They are not reckless but do provide the sensation we seek, especially with VG liquids that provide clouds of rich vapour.

Flavour was readily apparent and the vape cool and wet – this is a characteristic of this particular atomiser. Folks that vaped extensively the variety of 801s on the market should be able to determine what I am talking about.

The next one tested was the 2.5Ohm on the 5V regulated box mod and the GLV2: The specs are as follows:

• 5V box with dual TF 14500s, 5V and 4V (loaded and unloaded respectively); and
  • GLV2 with dual AW 16340 IMRs 4.8V loaded. The GLV do not produce an unloaded battery voltage as it will give you the state of the battery charge only. Once loaded it produces 5V or close.
As expected the TH increased at this voltage and both the flavour and vapour was somewhat diminished. Of course this is to be expected, they are not LR atomizers but provided a pleasant 5V vaping experience. The GLV2 performed the best in this test and provided a true 5V vape :) I was surprised with the loaded voltage on the 5V box mod as it normally will provide 4.5-4.6 volts loaded. Nonetheless, that was the figure the meter provide with a couple of checks and hence the figure reported here. The unit has been permanently attached to the GLV2 both for aesthetic reasons and performance. The GLV2 is providing me with 9.2 watts of vaping bliss.

Because of the “cool” factor this atomizer offers, at 9.2 watts this puppy delivers. It is seasoning extremely well. Albeit the atty delivers more watts than my preferred wattage of 7 and sometimes 8. The higher wattage is not decreasing the satisfaction, it enhances it.

Another important note here, the 2.5 was not as airy as both the 1.8 and 2Ohm. It was just right. Does voltage play a role in this? I don't know I only provide vaping perceptions.

The last unit tested was the 3.5Ohm fired by both dual AW LifePo4s and RCR123As, and provided the following results:

• 6V with dual LifePo4s, 6.7 and 4.6V respectively unloaded/loaded; and
  • 7V with dual RCR123As 8.1 and 7V.
As with the 2.5, this atty's draw was not airy, it was just perfect. @ 6V it delivered clouds of vapour and a decent TH. Flavour was not diminished too much. It is to be noted that flavour is a factor of liquid more than the atty itself. It is the liquid's ability to withstand higher voltages, not the atty providing the flavour at higher voltages.

Pros

• They are powder coated not painted;
  • They are easily identifiable with the large gold etching;
  • They have a native 510 connection, which in turn will provide a similar to 801 mini experience without the use of adapters for those who do not have 801 gear;
  • As the 801 minis, these are vapour production machines; and
  • They season extremely well when properly primed and the break in period relatively short compared to some atties.
Cons

• The 1.8 and 2Ohm variety are airy. This could be a welcomed addition to some but a negative to others. OTOH they do tighten up with use;
  • They are juice hogs, and I mean juice hogs. Think a 426 Hemi with dual quads :) ;
  • They tend to leak until they are broken in in the beginning. More predominant on the 1.8 and 2Ohm than the 2.5-3.5. However they tighten up as they become seasoned.
Conclusion
A welcomed addition to the IKV stable. Because of the 510 connection, this offers vapers without an 801 native connection to experience what folks that do, have experience with the 801 mini line. They are a pleasure to vape and produce as expected for this type of atomizer.

In my review I mentioned a cooler/wetter vape, please do not read more into this than what has been written. The atty can be compared to the eGo Mega atties, which in turn burn slightly cooler than standard 801s. The delta however is minuscule, therefore do not let this be a deciding factor. But to someone who is used to vaping the gamut of 801s out there, the delta is indeed noticeable albeit subtle.

The fact that Isaac placed these on the shelves before all the results were in proves that he has another winner on his hands. :thumbs:

Addendum: I would be remiss if I didn't state I did not test these units outside of their designed norm (read voltage) with the exception of the 3.5's trip to 7V. It performed well and delivered nicely. However, continued use at XHV with this low a resistance will lead to premature failure of the atomizer. To some this is a moot point, performance over longevity, but a point that is worthy of mention.

I did not test the LRs on eGo batteries either. Why? Because I do not believe in stressing my eGo batteries. With the myriad of devices I own I do not believe I need to test them on the eGo. Furthermore as I prefer my vape on the eGo with a cone, these would not fit.

Last edited:

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
Excellent and well written review as always, Switched. I don't know if I remember you having an Omega. Is this a recent addition to the stable of mods you own?

One suggestion, correct the spelling of Canon to Cannon. :)

Keep up the good work, chief!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Great review in the usual Swithed informational way. You leave no question unanswered Switcher.

1211829588I19ntm-1.jpg

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey Switch, thanks for covering different configurations. I've been doing the 5v (HV) and 3.7v (LR) tango for a while now, and playing with 801s and 306s... At the very least I won't have to put up with an annoying 801 to 501 adapter anymore.

How do these *taste* compared to let's say, an IKV 801 of the same resistance. Is it in essence, the same?

aur1640

Feb 14, 2011
Alhambra, CA
I've only tried one 3.5 ohm Cannon at 6 volts with my Omega. The draw is a little on the lighter side for me. However, the flavor is excellent. The vapor is very smooth and rich. Just like the 801s, I like using tobacco flavors on these wide atomizers. I don't know if its the wide bridge but I enjoy the combination of a variety of flavored tobaccos with these animals. I like the slightly stiffer draw on the 801's even with the 510 adapters. I used to enjoy smoking cigars since the late 80's. I guess the overall experience brings me back to that special place. Goonie, you enjoy, you can't go wrong with the IKV Cannon or 801 at high voltage

jkoppk

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2011
hanover,PA.
I have the 1.8's and have found that I like them a lot more when one of the small holes in the threaded area are blocked off to decrease the air flow.I accomplish this by putting a very small piece of a toothpick in the hole.It's temporary so you can remove it if the draw becomes to tight as the days/weeks go by.It gives better flavor and a better overall vape this way i think.Try it and let me know what you guys think.Later.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Hey Switch, thanks for covering different configurations. I've been doing the 5v (HV) and 3.7v (LR) tango for a while now, and playing with 801s and 306s... At the very least I won't have to put up with an annoying 801 to 501 adapter anymore.

How do these *taste* compared to let's say, an IKV 801 of the same resistance. Is it in essence, the same?

.... about the same, slightly cooler.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I've been using a 2.0 Ohm 510 cannon stealth, on a 3.7v ICR123 AW battery for the last couple of days.

The draw IS easier than a typical 801, but I see this as a good thing down the road when it begins to "clog" (like all attys). The death of my previous 801s almost always had do with the draw becoming impossibly heavy/clogged.

I don't mind the lighter hit, considering I don't have to put up with 801 adapters that only work half the time.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I think it is really subjective of who may like what with this Atty and any other as well as the airflow on the 1.8-2.00 ohm Cannon goes and all Cannons, No two Atty's ever have the exact same air draw it seems to me. I find there is no 2 exactly a like I have some that have an airy draw and some that have a much tighter draw to them. The 1.8 ohm on the Reo Grand is a super vape with an 18650 and if you use my O-Ring trick that I found it will turn this into an Auto feed with the Grand, Danco #83 O-Ring over top of the Atty and push it down to the catch cup and push in to your desired draw, the tighter the more Auto feed the loser a bit less, I'm finding the 1.8 with the O-Ring is a super vape on the Reo and the Auto feed works perfect with an occasional Squank with this set up, it also stops any liquid from coming back out of the catch cup as well as creates an adjustable draw to a point, if you haven't tried this yet it works well give it a Go ! Also as I have always said to Prime these Attys up over the Bridge with liquid and let it sit for a while to get to the internal and give them a good soak. Reo owners should really like this set up !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread