Throat and sinus infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrog

Mar 14, 2010
US
Hi I am brand new to the forum. I have been vaping for about two and a half weeks. I got my starter kit in the hopes that it would help me and my girlfriend cut back on smoking analogs. It has worked wonders for me, but my girlfriend complained that it hurt her throat and would only take a couple drags at a time. I thought that maybe she was being irritated by the pg so I ordered some vg carts. After finding a flavor that she liked, last night she vaped vg on and off for about two to three hours before going to bed. My girlfriend woke up with a really sore throat, fever, headache, stomach pains, etc. She went to the doctor today and the doctor said she has a throat and sinus infection. Has anyone ever heard of ecigs causing infections like this? Or is it most likely a coincidence? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Its really not likely that a mechancial device would cause a bacterial infection unless it wasn't clean to begin wth - but I'm fairly sure bacteria can't live long outside of a host organism.
Did anyone else who used the kit (if indeed anyone did - that includes anyone who handled it - may not have puffed on it) recently have a cold/flu/illness?
Its possible she picked up the bug from another (recent)user who hasn't developed any symptoms or is immune to that strain also if anyone else DID use it prior to her using it.
Moral to others: wash mouthpieces regularly! :)
Other than that, I'd put it down to coincidence or bad luck. Hope she feels better soon - sinus infection is horrid.

A friend back in school said that every time he tried to quit he got a respiratory ailment of some kind (bronchitis was the norm). I don't know the validity of his claim was, but I guess it might be possible. But more like than not it's just a coincidence. No idea on your location, but the transition from winter to spring can bring about all kinds of fun sinus issues.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Hi mrog -

I posted quit a while back with the same issues. I had been vapping for about a month when I got a sinus infection and "pink eye".

After medication, the sinus infection healed. The "pink eye" is another story. (I received drops for this and had been using it for about a month with little improvement.)

What I have noticed, and I believe, at least for me, is that when I vape, and blow the vapor in front of me, most of the vapor goes up inside my glasses. Since the vapor doesn't sting like cig smoke, I never connected the two actions until recently.

Now, since I've been blowing the vapor out the side of my mouth, I haven't had a problem with sinuses, throat irritation. My eyes aren't gunky either and are a lot better than before. Another thing I noticed is that I was getting white heads on my nose from the vapor being blown in front of me. When I stopped doing that, no white heads on the nose.

Check and see if your girlfriend is blowing the vapor in front of her face. If so, try blowing it out the side of the mouth and see if that doesn't help.

dark cobra

Feb 2, 2010
Canada
Theres a strong possibility that she did not even have a reaction to PG or VG but simply started feeling the first signs of the upcoming infection but it is possible that IF she did have a reaction to PG, it helped the infection getting started.
Basically our saliva acts as a mini defense against alot of bacteria and such and if PG did irritate her throat and sinuses, all it did is open the door for a bacteria to set up. They tend to have an easier time finding a home in irritated tissues.
Keep in mind im paranoid so when stuff like that happens to me, i look around for the "why" and "how" too hoping i can prevent it happening again. In this case, there are so few if any reports of things like this happening that i'd probably go with "PG caused irritation, lack of hydration, lil bacteria or what not that simply happened to be around at that time went *ZOMG, PARTY ZONE!* and went for it.
Theres also the possibility that VG is the one she has a reaction to.
A lot of people confuse a PG reaction with the adaptation time. At first it used to itch and burn a bit for me so i dropped pg and went all out VG then tried PG again a couple weeks later and it still itched and burned but hey, i was out of VG juice so i just followed the advices i read here about drinking a LOT while vaping to keep my throat well hydrated and 1-3 days later, tada! Now i do VG/PG mix but the VG is only to get more vapor :)

If there was a big gap between her stopping PG and starting VG (which would most likely mean that IF one of them was to blame, it'd be VG), what you can do if she seriously wants to switch to vaping is try 100% PG again but make sure to tell her to drink alot while vaping and that if it still irritates her throat, to instead of directly inhaling the vapor down her lungs, to drag some vapor in her mouth and THEN breath that mouthfull. This is an AWFUL lot smoother on the throat. Alot of people like that irritation effect but if she's anything like me, she'll prefer the mouth then breath method :)

Hi i just started my e cigarette like a few days ago and 2 days after i get it i wake up with a realllly bad sinus infection. I have body aches right now and just feel sick. When i smoke my e cig i can tell its not right because it burns my throat and just is unbearable to smoke really. I am smokin 12-18 mg of nicotine..maybe its too much? i dunno but a regular cigarette sure does sound good right now.

blue8091

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
Vape Town
I suffered from sinus infections my whole life - and I know they were largely caused by smoking analogs. My water intake was never good. Vaping changed the whole outlook on water intake for me and I'm really focused on getting in at least 8-8oz glasses of water daily and usually more like 70. Drinking lots of water with vaping is hugely important.

For the last year and half I used a neti pot - and have not had a sinus infection since. I've also stepped that up and doing it daily - also helps with allergies. What's really weird - is that it's been 2 weeks since I had an analog and my sinuses - even with the water intake and neti pot - are really dryyyyy. Not sure why - but I've noticed it for sure!

Lambch3p

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Sunny Tampa Florida
It takes about 2 weeks to incubate a sinus infection, cold or flu. If you have only been vaping for a few days there is no way that your e-cig gave you an infection. there are a few reasons your throat may hurt:
1. Your throat hurts because you are sick, not from your e-cig but from germs and your e-cig is exacerbating the problem.
2. You are vaping too high nic.
3. Your juice has too much pg. If you add more vg to your juice it softens the throat hit and keeps your throat from getting all scratchy.

Hope you feel better! :)

sluz

Apr 25, 2011
PA
My girlfriend I had a similar reaction to VG only juices from Blue Mist vaping. I made a mistake in ordering, I meant to get 80/20. They would instantly hurt a bit in the back of our throats, and it was a different pain than the normal throat hit, and would stay for minutes afterward. I think I started to get an infection from them. When I first started vaping, I got a bacterial infection as well. Antibiotics cleared it up even though the test came back negative for strep (though it was only the in-office test, not a lab test, which is more accurate).

Now I have traded those for some 80/20 juices (or at least they vape like them, you know, you can never be absolutely sure) and they don't feel like the VG, but I have another infection. My throat started hurting badly a day ago, and I just took a good look in the mirror, and sure enough, there are white patches at the back of my throat. My girlfriend wants me to quit vaping right now, and while I really don't want to, I'm thinking it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure what's going on, but vaping is having a deleterious effect on my throat. It might simply be the direct contact with the nicotine, somehow the chemicals in cigarettes seemed to shield me from it, because I never EVER had problems like this while smoking.

I really don't know what to do, but I think the best course of action is to chew Nicorette and try the patch. I don't want to screw around with bacterial infections.

sluz

Apr 25, 2011
PA
You can't get a bacterial infection from "vaping" unless your equipment or juice is contaminated. You could potentially be getting some irritation that has become infected, in which case, you need to stop vaping or figure out what is irritating you.

I think it's doubtful too. I think it's the nicotine, though the VG reaction was just weird. Those were only 18mg juices, so it had to have been the VG. I hate to quit vaping, but I don't think I have a choice.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
BTW except in very rare cases, PG does not irritate except for possibly being drying so a vaper should drink fluids. PG is used in inhalation therapies in hospitals, even for lung transplant patients. But nicotine is a skin irritant and PG does little to buffer that. VG is thick and dull TH, irritation, flavor, while adding more visible vapor. It is possible for medium or high nic on 100% PG to irritate the mouth, throat, lungs, nose. What nicotine level were you using? Once your girlfriend feels better try lower nic and at least 30% VG juices. (70pg/30vg from a good juice vendor). But ecigs do not give infections unless somebody with an infection used the ecig first and their germs were on it.

One other thing - when you say she vaped it for hours - hopefully not solid. It's not a toy. You can't use it like a pacifier and expect to not suffer any consequences of irritation or effect of nicotine overuse like headache, dizziness, fuzzy-headed, rapid or irregular heartbeat, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread