Not open for further replies.

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
==== on alcohol====

Tim, you ask if alcohol is OK to clean the button. If I may... for what I know, the answer is: Yes and No.

Alcohol solves fat so it's very effective in removing dirt AND greasy deposits. But it does not remove oxide, rather it helps its formation.

This is what I discovered when working in a circuit assembler in an electronic instruments factory during my high school summer vacations (Did a sort of a one-month stage. Building electronics was my hobby and wanted to learn more on the Pro tools and techniques)

All solvents are oxidizers, except one: 1,1,1-Trichloroethan (Chlorothene). So that was the only one we used to clean circuit boards and contacts, as it's the only one that does not oxidize them.

Unfortunately it has since been discovered that it destroys the ozone layer. Production is being phased out, or has already stopped, but what's still in stock can be legally sold.

Probably it's not easy to find and also minimal quantities might be too big and expensive for what you'd need. Yet, if you manage to get some, that's the right stuff.

=== on contact cleaning - removing oxide ===

You can use alcohol to remove dirt, grease and soot, but you're still left with the oxidation to take care of. While metals conduct electricity, mental oxide is an insulant, and if enough of it builds up it reduces or even stops the flow of electricity though the button contact.
To remove that you'll have to use some slightly abrasive thing, like very fine sandpaper as Imeo suggested and did show (The finer, the better. Coarse one will do more damage than good.)

Personally I prefer to follow NASA suggestions. ;) NASA made a lot of tests to discover what was the best way to clean electrical contacts, and they found that erasers for typewriters were just perfect for that (you remember those flat octagonal erasers, with a hole in the center and a plastic insert?). Those are mildly abrasive, just how much is needed, and being a little elastic too they conform better to the irregularities of the surface you're cleaning.

I believe some can still be found today. One will last for the rest of your life, if you use it only for that. Otherwise, erasers for pens or ball-pens will also do fine and might be easier to find. Erasers for pencil work differently and have no abrasive particles inside (or not enough of them), so won't do.

You might even cut out a piece with a small end-point so that you can easily reach small parts, like the center connector in the atomizer-side cap. Use caution, don't cut yourself when preparing that, please.

Just rub, there's no need to use a lot of pressure, until the metal becomes shiny again.

I personally prefer it because it removes the oxidation quite well, but barely any metal, while sandpaper tends to remove a little more of the metal, and could also roughen the surface just a bit more. But if you can't easily reach inside to clean the button with an eraser piece, use fine sandpaper. They both work quite well to clean contacts, use the one that's easier for the part you're cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Great informative post NicoTico and definitely a nice alternative to the sandpaper option. :) I will be sure to try this when my GG starts performing below par. ~~Thanks very much for your input!;)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
hi.

I don't See a Q&A Thread, So I'm Writing On it.

I wanna know There is a non- engraved GGGrant lastest version.

GGlogo and signature is very nice and cool, but I like minimalizm!!

I'm gonna wait Your Answer.

Thanks.

From Korea, srnrok

Hi again srnrok,

Yes there is. Place your order and send an e-mail to Tim for a non engraved version, no problem:)

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
hi.

I don't See a Q&A Thread, So I'm Writing On it.

I wanna know There is a non- engraved GGGrant lastest version.

GGlogo and signature is very nice and cool, but I like minimalizm!!

I'm gonna wait Your Answer.

Thanks.

From Korea, srnrok
lol. . . I agree with you. Imeo, the wings are really nice, but the big "THE GG"? A bit overkill! But, I like everything else about it and I still thank you.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
I am thinking about buying a GG. I need something that is dependable. I have been smoking for 46 years and I am getting frustrated keeping a device working. Should I buy 2 so I can have a backup? How long does it take to get one?

Hi stormy, welcome home:)

I dont think that you need a back up GG, exept you cant use your hands at all!!! I am sure that this is not happening here. So buy one and the second will be for a gift to your lovely person;);)

Fred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Belgium
Hi stormy, welcome home:)

I dont think that you need a back up GG, exept you cant use your hands at all!!! I am sure that this is not happening here. So buy one and the second will be for a gift to your lovely person;);)

heh I thought about that too. As my JStick died I am back to nicorette gums and my 510 USB passthrough (when it accepts to work correctly).
I even thought about analogs at one point yesterday (I never thought I would think about those again).
It's difficult to go back to an old model when you got used to a good one (like the Stick the first days...).

I ordered a 901 USB passthrough and my first GG should arrive anyday luckily.
In the worst case if I have to send back my main device in the future I think that 901 (or 801 if I use the adapter from Imeo) on that direct passthrough should hold me away from analog temptation.

Time for another nicorette... /sigh nightmare days. Come on mister postman.

Last edited:

Fred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Belgium
I received my GG this morning and :hubba: it's really impressive.
Others said it already but I felt like smoking my first ever cigarette with the first try: 6V batteries & 901 cartridge then with the adapter and a 801 atty.
I was craving for two days before: using nicotine gums all the time and not able to focus on anything (2mg gums only...) and now I am fully satisfied.

You saved me from using the "break in case of emergency" pack of analogs I had. I understand why some people really love you here ;)

The 3.7V batteries are still charging so I can't comment on that yet.
I just wanted to say it's indeed a fine art work and wow 6v is strong.

Only small problem: after using a cartridge with the stainless atty without trouble I tried dryed vaping with 2 drops of liquid and... nothing. The atomizer doesn't get hot anymore.
One dead atty but I had 3 spare 901 ones so no problems to continue.

Back to testing and a review to write for the french forums too :)

PS: I understand now why you said it's no use to have a backup device. For me it's more about not being able to use an old model with satisfaction than the GG being immortal. How could I vape those other models before ?!?!

Last edited:

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Others said it already but I felt like smoking my first ever cigarette with the first try: 6V batteries & 901 cartridge then with the adapter and a 801 atty.
I was craving for two days before: using nicotine gums all the time and not able to focus on anything (2mg gums only...) and now I am fully satisfied.

You saved me from using the "break in case of emergency" pack of analogs I had. I understand why some people really love you here ;)

Only small problem: after using a cartridge with the stainless atty without trouble I tried dryed vaping with 2 drops of liquid and... nothing. The atomizer doesn't get hot anymore.

PS: I understand now why you said it's no use to have a backup device. For me it's more about not being able to use an old model with satisfaction than the GG being immortal. How could I vape those other models before ?!?!

Fred,
welcome to the world of total satisfaction.

With your GG in your hot lil' hand,
you will never be craving again,

whenever you feel the itch of the craving,
just reach out for your GG, --
GG will give you total satisfaction every time,
you will be happy now, forever, ---------------
cuddlebunny.gif

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA

It is a marvel, isnt it? Satisfied in only a few puffs. Don't dry vape it! Atom's definitely need the hydration when pumping this kind of power though. Fred, try digging up some old atoms that you thought were dead, hook them up to the GG and viola, may be resurrected. I brought back 2 801's and 3 901's. Glad to hear your loving it, you HAVE to get the 510 adapter, combining the Dura with GG is a match made in heaven and makes it all the more worth it:thumbs:

Fred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Belgium
It is a marvel, isnt it? Satisfied in only a few puffs. Don't dry vape it!
It sure is. I learned my lesson with dry vaping and in fact I don't see the point in dry vaping at this moment but I had to try.

you HAVE to get the 510 adapter, combining the Dura with GG is a match made in heaven and makes it all the more worth it:thumbs:
That, I'm not sure about it. 510 with 6V would be crazy imho. That ato already gets so hot with 3.7V.
I am still testing but currently it's perfect with 6V and for 3.7V the 901 is great for smooth longer vaping, even better than the 801 I would say.

Back to vaping now ! I am trying not to go Nicotine OD but I received also 4 new liquids to review lol. That GG marvel came exactly at the right time.

Fred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Belgium
omg... omg... I just got my GG. There's no instructions 8-o quick someone tell me how the batteries go!!
You got a manual like me I am sure.
It's the white paper inserted in one side of the box that was holding your GG.
Look at the box for "The GG Simple User Guide"! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread