Heartburn from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfkid

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
San Francisco
Like WoH I also had horrible acid reflex when I smoked. Its actually a common symptom for most smokers. There are many articles on the web that explain the relationship between smoking and heartburn/acrid reflex and other digestive problems related to analogues.

When I started vaping, 2 weeks later all my symptoms disappeared and no more pepcid/tums or any of the other myriad of heart burn medications out there for me.

When I started vaping I also changed up my diet a little (not too drastic) but I would not attribute the disappearance to diet because I changed my diet before when I smoked and still had HB.

Take some over the counter pepcid or other acid reducer and take it when you dont have heartburn for a period of 2-3 weeks and everything will back to normal.

Good luck.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Yeah, I've been taking tums and I'll mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a glass of water and chug it (blech!). I never really NOTICED heartburn being caused from smoking analogs, but that may have been the cause of my long-term heartburn to begin with. I quit analogs for a month and 2 weeks recently, right before swithching to my new e-cig. I still had heartburn every now and then, but now that I think about it, it wasn't as bad when I wasn't smoking. I also stopped drinking as much because i thought that may be the cause. When I got my e-cig, it started getting really, really bad again. Perhaps it will be gone pretty soon. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one experiencing these problems, though

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
Acidity is a problem for me for about 2 years, doc started me on nexium about 10 months ago. Been vaping for a bit over a week (no death sticks) and I have not noticed any increase in acidity. That said, I would give it a little time. I've noticed that there is a definite physical adjustment period to vaping.

I haven't posted anything about it because I am not sure where these little things I experience are coming from. Is it from vaping or because I quit smoking? Vaping or because I was getting less sleep because cravings were causing a bit of insomnia? Vaping or because I was eating less because my hunger has been less since I have a nice flavor in my mouth all day? You get the idea, I can't say if these are directly vaping related or due to other changes that switching and quitting death sticks has caused.

In any event, I noticed most of these things are gone or have tapered off a couple days ago. I chalk this up to an adjustment period.

sfkid

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
San Francisco
Tums doesnt have enough acid reducer have any long term effect. Go to wallgreens or what ever the equivalent store is in MS and get either pepcid or prilosec and take it 2 x daily for 2-3 weeks and you will see real long term results.

Been HB free for 8 months. Serious HB is a ..... and very painful and screw up your stomach lining in the long run.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I've actually experienced some vaping related heart burn. - This is sort of a personal and not-so-pleasant conversation to have with strangers, but... Why not? I'm going to keep it short and sweet without gruesome details, though:

A couple of my mostly or 100% VG juices irritate my sinuses a bit. That generates some post nasal drip. That gives me heart burn. - It is less when I'm working out doors and away from others because I feel free to clear my throat and spit. It's worse when I'm indoors and around others because no one wants to hear or see me clear my throat and spit...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Yes, I get heartburn also. Especially if I had a terrible day and I've upped my nic some. I generally vape 18mg but I keep 24mg around just in case I need it. After a good solid 6 hours with the 24mg, Tums become my best friend.

I would tell you to drink lots of water but that can cause heartburn in me also. I know, I'm strange.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Water causes heartburn for me to. I've been having to avoid all colas, fruit juices, water, and everything to that extent. I can drink water IF I haven't eaten any spicy foods or drank any acidic things. But I'll switch to the pepcid and start using it instead of tums, so hopefully that will kill it soon. Still watching my diet and I've only drank once since I began vaping to avoid the awful heartburn. It seems to be getting better every day, but I'm not going to let my guard down

juicejunky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
gone
I used to get heartburn :evil:from smoking too much especially drinking coffee and then again when I first started vaping. I was using the KR808 system and getting occasional mouthfuls of eliquid. I haven't really had it since I got my REO. Not sure if it's the REO or just adjustment after over 6 months of vaping.

I highly recommend Country Life Cal-Snack wafers as a natural antacid that works like Tums but less nasty chemicals. They are huge chewable vanilla/orange flavored wafers and you can drink water with them-very tasty. Heartburn goes away almost instantly. Usually one will do the trick and occasionally two if it's really bad. Technically they are Calcium with Magnesium and Vitamin D supplements, but they sure do the trick. A Whole Foods employee recommended them to me when I had a serious attack in the store. Don't buy them there though since they are over twice the price as buying online.

Since it feels like you are having a heart attack, instant relief is very reassuring. I've woken up with heartburn and been back to sleep in 5 minutes after eating one.

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
+1. Any juice that is 40% or more VG and my stomach is trashed.

I've actually experienced some vaping related heart burn. - This is sort of a personal and not-so-pleasant conversation to have with strangers, but... Why not? I'm going to keep it short and sweet without gruesome details, though:

A couple of my mostly or 100% VG juices irritate my sinuses a bit. That generates some post nasal drip. That gives me heart burn. - It is less when I'm working out doors and away from others because I feel free to clear my throat and spit. It's worse when I'm indoors and around others because no one wants to hear or see me clear my throat and spit...

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I used to get heartburn :evil:from smoking too much especially drinking coffee and then again when I first started vaping. I was using the KR808 system and getting occasional mouthfuls of eliquid. I haven't really had it since I got my REO. Not sure if it's the REO or just adjustment after over 6 months of vaping.

I highly recommend Country Life Cal-Snack wafers as a natural antacid that works like Tums but less nasty chemicals. They are huge chewable vanilla/orange flavored wafers and you can drink water with them-very tasty. Heartburn goes away almost instantly. Usually one will do the trick and occasionally two if it's really bad. Technically they are Calcium with Magnesium and Vitamin D supplements, but they sure do the trick. A Whole Foods employee recommended them to me when I had a serious attack in the store. Don't buy them there though since they are over twice the price as buying online.

Since it feels like you are having a heart attack, instant relief is very reassuring. I've woken up with heartburn and been back to sleep in 5 minutes after eating one.

I've been using raw almonds as a natural antiacid and it seems to work quite well, but the wafers sound like a better idea. I may try that x) thanks for the advice

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well, I started to get it last summer and going to vaping didn't really help much. Mostly bloating, acid reflux.
    I can use Omeprazole ? Prilosec i think, and that does do the trick- Much better than Tums. I just don't like to stay on that stuff.
    I believe I'm doing better since I've dropped from 24mg to 12. I really do better if I eat dry stuff like ritz crackers or something. Pizza and burgers and greasy chips are bad too.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I had horrible acid reflux while I was still smoking and it went away shortly after I switched to vaping. OTC Prilosec or Tums should help it and it wouldn't surprise me if you stop having symptoms at some point.

I also was having a lot of issues like that. They all just went away as soon as I stopped smoking and started vaping. My wife still has issues like that even though she vapes instead of smokes. She's got it a lot worse than me. She uses OTC Prilosec and it seems to do the job for her.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apple Valley, MN
    I had noticed an increase in heartburn for a while, but it seems to have subsided since I switched back to using cartomizers. As an aside, I've had a lousy stomach for much of my life, and was probably Tum's best customer at one time. I started taking probiotics several years back, and reduced my need for Tums by about 90%.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread