Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetmec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
SC
And here is the bottom line.
"While most devices and nicotine fluids are produced by small manufacturers, Cobb and Abrams note that the fact that leading cigarette manufacturers Philip Morris International and British American tobacco recently purchased sophisticated nicotine inhaler technologies may be an indication that both companies are developing next generation nicotine delivery devices of their own."
Big tobacco will take over and poof e-cigs will be there next cash cow.

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
They can make it their cash cow but I won't buy their product. I'll keep using our smaller, personal vendors (you know, where we talk to the owners here) with great CS. Tobacco industry has a bad track record with the public and their "customer service" and I honestly don't think they'd hack it in the electronic industry.

My fear would be their attempts at undermining the community will turn millions OFF electronic methods with their crap hardware and be just like the things we try to shy people away from (free trials etc)

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The authors are associated with the Legacy Foundation, historically anti-smoker, anti-tobacco, and anti-nicotine. They will do everything in their power to make sure that smokers don't havde safer products to switch to, and if that doesn't work, make sure smokers don't learn which products are safer.

The Legacy Foundation is afraid that if Tobacco Companies get into the e-cigarette industry, the products will become even more popular. That will impact the Legacy Foundation's bottom line. Every time a desperate smoker buys a box of NRT products, a piece of the profits go back to Johnson & Johnson (even if the product was made by GSK). J&J funds the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, which supplies grant money to the Legacy Foundation. Follow the money.

The real issues in this article are the misleading, incomplete, and downright wrong claims by the authors:

• Smokers attempting to use e-cigarettes as quitting aids will most likely find them ineffective.
  • Instructions for filling cartridges with ......... hash oil can be easily accessed on the Internet.
  • E-cigarettes may serve as a "bridge product" that smokers use in places where traditional tobacco smoking is prohibited, thus perpetuating their addiction and use of real cigarettes.
  • Additionally, they may be used as a 'starter' product for young people considering smoking, especially since the cartridges can be purchased over the Internet with tempting flavoring like grape and chocolate.
  • If e-cigarettes are pulled off the market, users won't return to smoking.
  • Clinicians should advise patients wishing to use nicotine to stick to the FDA-regulated forms such as patches, gum, lozenges, nasal spray

See CASAA's News Story:
CASAA.org

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
From linked article:

Currently, three interrelated products are being sold: the delivery device itself; cartridges that can contain up to 20 mg of nicotine; and refill kits that allow consumers to fill used cartridges with replacement nicotine solution. Some refill bottles, easily obtained over the Internet, contain enough nicotine to kill an adult if accidentally ingested.

I have a bottle of drain cleaner in my cabinet that will kill an adult if accidentally ingested.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
In any free society or free market, there are always alternative solutions. These solutions are offered and the people choose which one suits them best. In politics, this practice is exemplified by elections of representatives that share your opinions or ideals. In the market, you can choose which car, clothes, food etc. that satisfy whatever your needs are.

In terms of smoking, countless options other than e-cigs have been made available. There are the precription and OTC methods, councelors, therapists, hypnotists, magnetic ear rings, bracelets, music.... entire industries and practices revolve around the people's desire to change their habits. There are also the supporters of these industries and practices. But at least try and fight with facts instead of conjecture, baseless ridicule, or flat out falsehoods.

The free market of ideas and products have produced victories on both sides. E-cigs help some people quit. So have other methods. What seems difficult to understand is why one singular new method gets positively demonized without remorse on a repeated basis. I have yet to see any news articles blasting away at the fringe wacko methods for quitting like the ear magnet or the laser therapy. I haven't seen the FDA raising much trouble with companies that market these and similar products or services. Many of these methods are no better than snake-oil salesmen. The FDA seem willing to disregard e-cig successes and applaud products with a miserably low success rate.

The free market allows those, whose products or services succeed, to rise and prosper. Those ideas that fail, diminish. Take a hint from those who have or are succeeding. Research and develop solutions that are similar, instead of trying to reinforce a failed idea.

My father always said, "Raise others up to your level and never let anyone tear you down to theirs." Sound advice.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
In terms of smoking, countless options other than e-cigs have been made available. There are the precription and OTC methods, councelors, therapists, hypnotists, magnetic ear rings, bracelets, music.... entire industries and practices revolve around the people's desire to change their habits. There are also the supporters of these industries and practices.

...comparable to the diet industry in many ways.

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
I have a bottle of drain cleaner in my cabinet that will kill an adult if accidentally ingested.

I have a fifth of Bacardi 151 in my pantry that would also probably kill an adult if ingested. Although it burns and tastes awful if you drink it straight... probably much like drain cleaner or e-liquid.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Using the antis logic, drain cleaner and Bacardi should be banned. :D

Better still, everything should be banned and we should all be put in individual, nanny state controlled plastic bubbles, where there will be no danger of us contaminating each other or getting our hands on potentially dangerous substances. :thumb:

To put it plainly. Get out of my life, do-gooders and concern yourselves with your own lives, if you have one.

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I suspect the quid pro quo arugments about other products that might require precautions, while true won't do us well in the face of authorities that might be deciding the future of our interests. Too much of it may seem too argumentative. Some accomodation by the e cig industry of reasonably recognizable concerns might do us better.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
It's frustrating, Cool. We show them facts and they turn a deaf ear and keep spitting out the same old propaganda. I have been following this, since October, 2009 and even though we won in court, those idiots haven't changed their tune, one iota.

It's all about money and control with them and not about people or their health.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Oh yes, I understand. We have to be careful in our approach. They may not want to be confronted with the facts. We are threated by them AND many of them may feel threatened as well. However, if the industry indicates something along the lines of, 'We understand (some of) your concerns and here is what we can do to address them,' we may end up in a much better position than if we continue argument. Accomodation of some sort by the industry may be a lot better for us than 'Winner-Take-All.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread