New hybrid atty instantly collapsed my spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
I just put a new 1.5 ohm "hybrid atty" in my Reo Mini (14500 high drain batt) , primed it, waited for a few minutes & hit the button.

Instantly my battery spring collapsed. I opened it and it smelled like burnt electricity. It appears to have caused a direct short. Now my Reo needs a repair. My mini is months old & has run many atties. Frankly, it (and my other two) has always been a little beast, never a problem with any of em... But the mini's dead now though.

Did I do something wrong? Has this problem been reported before?

(I also asked this same question in the atty seller's subforum. Not quite sure which is the correct one.)

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I haven't heard of it before, but it can happen with any atty. You should always check a new atty with a multimeter and look at the centerpost before you put it on the first time.

As long as it didn't melt your firing button and nothing is catching when you press it, you only need to replace the spring. You can order one from the REO site, or you can send it into Rob.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I doubt you did anything wrong....unless you over tightened it. This is a new atty and hasn't been widely tested on the REOs yet. We're testing one on a Grand. The few who have been using the hybrid atties have not reported a short yet. I'm sorry this happened to ya. Be sure to contact Rob about repair or replacement spring and button if you need one. :(

tierrataz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
soCal
I have been using a 2.0 ohm BF hybrid for almost 24 hours/6+mls of juice. The center pin on mine is quite high. I choose not to adjust because I have a Vmod coming (Vapage, same manu). I was not able to screw it in like most attys. Made contact and at most 1/8 turn more and I was golden.

So sorry this happened to you.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I've got a 1.5 hybrid atty going on my Grand & so far so good. Actually, it's great! The first one I tried I somehow killed. After the first hit it died & I tried it on both Grand & Mini. I feel for you! What causes the battery spring to collapse? I thought that was a safety precaution for batts. Can an atty do that?
Yes & atomizer can short a mod. A short is caused when the positive and negative make contact ether the mod or the atomizer

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Thanks all. I notice the center pin does stick out much further than any other atty I've seen. I bought 5 hybrids & they all look the same. I just checked & the atty does fire on my Provari. ??? (1.5 meters at 1.8)

Like this one?
018.jpg

003.jpg

MAlzado

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2011
USA
Yes RF, like that one.

Update:
I have 3 Reos. (1 grand & 2 minis) After it worked on the Provari I started playing. It fired on the other 2. Then, I stretched the collapsed spring back out on the fried one & screwed the same atty back in til it barely bottomed and now it does fire in that same mini. In fact... it's great.

I maybe should have mentioned that I have used a few 306 LR atties in the past that required some screwing in and out and in because of thread resistance/mismatch. There is some chance I altered the Reos threads a tiny bit? I don't think so, but it's possible. No other atty has done this though, 510 or 306. I sure am glad that spring is a great safety feature.

This could be operator error. I gotta go order some springs.
Thanks all.
Rob, PM me if you still want me to send it so you can see it.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
For the folks that wanna try the Hybrid atty from COV and not short their mod:

Feel free to post this anywhere applicable:

Something was just brought to my attention. The BF Hybrid has an interchangeable center pin. It was designed that way, so the venturi could be changed to adjust the draw. On some of the BF Hybrids, the center pin may not be completely seated. This is probably due to vibration during shipping. Before installing it on your mod, press the bottom (threaded end) of the BF Hybrid firmly on a hard surface to ensure it is seated all the way inside the atomizer. This is ONLY on the BF Hybrid. The Standard Hybrid does NOT have this feature.

I believe that both the BF (bottom feed) and standard versions can be used on Reos Mods.

kirst310

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Marina del Rey
I would like to see the mod and the atomizer .I haven't had a chance to look at the new atomizers yet but this is not a good sign.

This just happened to me too. Brand new 1.5 BF atty and two seconds after pressing the button, smoke came out of the body of the Reo and then found the spring had collapsed. I just sent COV an email about what would cause it. UGH! Now I gotta order new springs.

Tried stretching the spring and then pressing the button again and there was an official spark.

proggieus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
minneapolis
i have also cooked a spring with a the new Hybrid Atty from COV in my grand although my grand needs to go into the shop since it appears that the center pin is not quite centered in the connector and it cooked a spring with a dual coil carto as well.

Luckily my extra springs showed up the day before the Hybrids did.

i am just waiting for the next batch so i don't have to be without my grand

Has anybody else had a really hard time NOT flooding these Attys. If i use the normal sqonk method i end up with all kinds of juice in my mouth after the first 4 or five vapes.

it appears that the center pin on these will kinda of collapse (almost as if it is spring loaded)into the atty as you screw it on. i have been leaving it rather loose but i am going to try and tighten it down a little to see if this helps with the flooding. It might make it easier for the vacuum of the bottle to draw excess juice out of the Atty and less likely to just draw air back

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
So...just wanted to let you guys know that we've been checking this out...just sent one of these atties to Rob so he can play with it and we're still testing another on our mods. We'll keep you posted if we find anything that is useful. In the meantime, when this happens, be sure to let Rob know via PM. Please include information in your PM like your email address used with your order so he knows who you are, when you bought your mod and what your setup is.

MXBNW

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2010
NW Washingtion
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
For the folks that wanna try the Hybrid atty from COV and not short their mod:

I believe that both the BF (bottom feed) and standard versions can be used on Reos Mods.

Thanks for posing that Mudflap.

I did PM AG when I got mine and need to make sure I did not have a bum atty I did get mine to work on my grand but was not comfortable in doing it. It seamed to fit better on my Woodvil but stopped using it on my REO's. The set up for the HB atty just reminded me of a bad adapter set up.

The reply he posted was in response to my PM's to him. AG is a good guy and very helpful in giving me the info I needed on this atty.

I told Him I wold start a thread here in the REO fourm that explains how the atty is built and how it can be adjusted. I will do this over the weekend.

I will test out the non bottom feeder this weekend, the one I have dose not have the center pin that extends out like the bottom feeders. I will also post a few more photos so people can see what we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread