Can I use my cell phone charger (USB port) to charge my eGo-T Batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
What is the output voltage and ma of your USB charger?

This is a plain auto lighter or AC to USB right? That you will plug a REAL Ego charger cable into?
If its output is 4.2v to 5v and its ma are 420ma or more, it should work fine.

Since the Ego cable can charge on a PC (5v 500ma) can charge on higher ma and just use what it needs, and it usually puts out 4.2v at 420ma to the battery itself, then just make sure it has that much ma or more.

Last edited:

vsinner

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Cyprus
there's a lot of tech data missing here but err-ing on the side of caution: the ego charger works from a 500ma input and converts to 420ma for charging, connecting it to a 1600mah source would probably kill it.. can't be 100% sure for how fast or if it's going to also hurt the battery (or even phone charger) but I personally wouldn't try it.

I would recommend a backup battery and taking the mains adapter with you so you can charge when you get there (2 batteries should give you more than a day's vaping for sure)

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I Googled those numbers and didn't see anything that looked like a charger.

I don't think I would risk your eGo batteries without more information about your charger.

You can get something like this if you have a store in your area that sells stuff for cell phones or computers.

pRS1C-4299484w345.jpg

Lenmar USB DC Car Adapter Charger for MP3 : Portable Music Car Charger | RadioShack.com

You don't have to buy a special e-Cigarette charger. Any "Universal" USB car chrager should work fine.
Just tell them that you need 5v output at 500mAh which is pretty standard for USB ports.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I have used a 2000ma source with no problem at all - more milliamps or amps at the USB are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. If you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.

If you do not have your Ego cable then go to VaporSearchUSA.com and try to find a store that has one.

Last edited:

vsinner

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Cyprus
No - I have used a 2000mah source - more amps are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. if you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.
There you go then a little more complexity than what I though these little chargers had in them! :)

all the usb adapters I've even come across give out 5V (makes sense considering that's usb working voltage) so that should be a safe bet

No - I have used a 2000mah source - more amps are FINE as long as you have your Ego USB to battery cable. The Ego cable will only take what it needs. If you don't have your Ego cable then no, you cannot connect it to a higher amp source.

If you do not have your Ego cable then go to VaporSearchUSA.com and try to find a store that has one.

I have an eGo USB battery cable. To charge on the computer verses electrical outlet. And they will be traveling with me.

I have 2 eGo 900 batteries but I know I am going to be in the car a long time and I got afraid! LOL - I appear to be addicted to vaping now! My husband is questioning how much vaping I plan to do (he sees 2 pink "somethings) and he is still leary that "vapor" is a second hand chemical of some kind.

He is really grateful that it's not going to be bonafide second hand smoke!

I Googled those numbers and didn't see anything that looked like a charger.

I don't think I would risk your eGo batteries without more information about your charger.

You can get something like this if you have a store in your area that sells stuff for cell phones or computers.

pRS1C-4299484w345.jpg

Lenmar USB DC Car Adapter Charger for MP3 : Portable Music Car Charger | RadioShack.com

You don't have to buy a special e-Cigarette charger. Any "Universal" USB car chrager should work fine.
Just tell them that you need 5v output at 500mAh which is pretty standard for USB ports.

It kind of looks like this. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and and has an USB port on the back. I'm torn now. I surely don't want to tear-up my batteries.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I meant 2000ma (2 amps) no mah haha

All the Ego cable needs at USB is 5v and at least 420ma - it can even be 2000ma like my adapter or 18000 ma huge portable camping USB charger someone on ECF got. The Ego cable will take only the ma it needs.

So if your phone charger's USB puts out 5v and 1600ma at a USB port, it should be fine for your Ego cable.

But it's not usable if you don't have your Ego cable

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It kind of looks like this. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and and has an USB port on the back. I'm torn now. I surely don't want to tear-up my batteries.

I'm pretty sure that you arn't going to have a problem but I don't want to be the one to tell you it's ok and then have your eGo batteries fry.

Your husband would shoot me if he had to be in the car with you all day and you didn't have a working eGo ;)

Those "Universal" USB charges are cheap and you can find them in most stores that sell anything computer or cell phone.

I meant 2000ma (2 amps) no mah haha

All the Ego cable needs at USB is 5v and at least 420ma - it can even be 2000ma like my adapter or 18000 ma huge portable camping USB charger someone on ECF got. The Ego cable will take only the ma it needs.

So if your phone charger's USB puts out 5v and 1600ma at a USB port, it should be fine for your Ego cable.

But it's not usable if you don't have your Ego cable

OK. Sounds like the 1600mah will be fine. The eGo USB cord will only draw what it needs.

Are all USB ports 5v? Not sure if it makes a difference but my phone is 3G Droid from Verizon.

Major SWEET if I can my cell phone charger!! :vapor:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Are all USB ports 5v? Not sure if it makes a difference but my phone is 3G Droid from Verizon.

Major SWEET if I can my cell phone charger!! :vapor:

All USB ports are Supposed to be 5 volts.

But some cell phone chargers use non standard ports and weird voltages.

All USB ports are Supposed to be 5 volts.

But some cell phone chargers use non standard ports and weird voltages.

Made in China can be iffy! I would think Verizon would instill the basics?

I am probably going to be just fine with my 2 batteries. I actually wish I had ordered more attys now. Vaping is a bit worrisome!

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
It will work fine.

Anything that has a USB port on it will, 99% of the time, have an output voltage of 5v, because that's what a computer's USB port is, and the whole idea of having a USB converter is to match a computer's USB port.

In addition, if the port is capable of a 1500mAh output (1.5amps) that doesn't mean it's going to be pumping out 1.5a all the time. It simply means that's the max output of that port, it's like a speed limit. If the street sign says 55, that means you can't go over 55mph, but you can still go slower (although you go too slow and you'll still get a ticket, the analogy is beginning to fall apart heh heh)

The circuit in the charger causes the charger itself to put out 420mA. It's not going to draw anymore current than it needs, it will draw the same current on a port with a 500mA output, or a 3000mA output.

No need to worry, charge, and vape away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread