I'm Sorry, but I have to Say This... Vaping Smells

Status
Not open for further replies.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
This may be Controversial, but vaping does smell. I keep reading here that it doesn't, but vaping does smell. It does. It leaves a smell on clothes, in a room, in your car, even on your mouth. When you vape, others can smell it.

I vape menthol - Nuport Wow juice & carts. I can smell it on my clothes and others can smell it when I vape. Yes, menthol is more likely to smell, and I imagine fruit, sweet & dessert flavours wouldn't be as noticeable.

Even fruit smells can be offensive to some people. (I worked with a lady who had such a thing about bananas that she would insist they not be eaten in the lunch room, and if someone left a banana skin in the rubbish bin she would ask them to remove it and place it in a rubbish bin outside. Yeah, she had a problem.)

I was in a clothes shop, subject of e-cigs came up, I got mine out and took a puff. Lady immediately commented on the tobacco smell - it wasn't the menthol she noticed. And she didn't like it in her shop. My daughter tells me it is like a cross between toothpaste and cigarettes. Clearly the tobacco smell is noticeable to non-smokers.

So, what I want to say is:
if you choose to vape in public places or workplaces where smoking is banned, be aware that some people may object. Not because they think you are smoking, don't get the difference between smoking & vaping, or are jealous that you're getting away with it, but because they object to the smell.
How you choose to react to their objections is up to you. :laugh: Vaping does smell. Just saying.

Lauralie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2010
Here, there, everywhere!
Well I will agree to a point....I have had some juices that my husband immediately comments on the smell but the majority of the time he says it smells like potpourri...lol! I would say menthol might be more obvious but not big on menthol.

I vape at my desk at work and people love the smells in the air:).

I haven't noticed it on my clothes but I have always had a bad sniffer....will have to ask my hubby and daughter about that!

You are right courtesy is big!

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Well, I am sorry, but I agree about being courteous, but if it is just the smell....tough patootie! I smell perfumes that are offensive to me...and body odor....there is NOTHING more offensive than body odor...and if they can be in the workplace...well, you get my issue with people taking issue with these kinds of odors:)

Bananas....lol...that is funny katz:lol:

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I smell perfumes that are offensive to me...and body odor....there is NOTHING more offensive than body odor...and if they can be in the workplace...well, you get my issue with people taking issue with these kinds of odors:)

:laugh: absolutely agree about perfumes. Most perfumes give me a dry, sore throat, so I don't wear them. Some people put perfume or perfumed deodorant on in the bathrooms at work, and it is just awful going in there straight after. The scent even lingers on telephone handsets they use, it's awful.

And B.O. Ewww! Although, I must admit that some body odour can be...sexy... mostly it's just rank. :laugh:

I do agree, the smell from vaping is just another smell in the whole mix.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
I wonder how many people would comment on the smell if they didn't see the vapor. Sometimes when we see smoke, but don't smell anything, our brain fills in the missing information itself. When smelling a food you like to eat, your brain will activate your saliva glands. Now... ever seen a commercial with your favorite food in it and start salivating? Why? You can't smell it.

I'm not saying all people, but I would be willing to bet that a lot of people smell tobacco because that's what they expect to smell.

plantlvr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2009
Northern California
Oh yeah i agree, but vaping odor is NOTHING compared to a burning cig! And even though I don't like blueberries I would rather smell that on my clothes than old cig smoke, yuck! And what is up with all these men suddenly pouring on aftershave? Is it me or do these dudes think it's a turn on?? I sometimes want to whip out my pv and blow some butterscotch on them :D

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
If I blow it right on someone (only tested this with ppl close to me that wanted to see if they could smell it lol) sometimes they smell nothing, sometimes they smell a slight smell. I have been told that my vermillion river minnesota menthol juice smells like coffee by 2 ppl, and that one of my sweeter juices (don't remember what one exactly) smelled like cola. Ppl never seem to smell it tho unless they walk right into the vapor as I'm exhaling lol. As far as I can tell, it's not leaving an odor on my clothes or items around me...

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I'm not saying all people, but I would be willing to bet that a lot of people smell tobacco because that's what they expect to smell.

That is a really good point.

And what is up with all these men suddenly pouring on aftershave? I sometimes want to whip out my pv and blow some butterscotch on them :D

LOL yeah, what's even worse is the aftershave overload to cover the smell of alcohol.

Smells are alot like comedy, someone will enjoy it, someone else will be completely outraged by it....

Another really good point.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
oh...and let's not forget those that just wanna complain...they are not happy till they can make someone else feel bad...they feel like they have the power!

People can just irk me sometimes...lol...sorry;)

And I will admit that every juice is different....some smell stronger than others, some smell worse than others....it's all very individual to the juice makeup;) I do think that mints and menthols do tend to linger a little longer than some others, but hey...they are supposed to. If they didn't vicks would be outta business:laugh:

grandpawrichard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
Burlington, Washington
I totally agree on the smell! I got chewed out by my friend Becky when she tried vaping at first. I told her she could vape inside and not smell up her house. She tried it and said the Menthol Tobacco Cartos left a stale Cigarette smell in her house. :(
I tried it in our house and my wife accused me of smoking cigarettes in the house! And that was 2 hours after I vaped a menthol carto!

There have been several different flavors that my wife has outlawed in the house. In addition to any of the Menthol Flavors there is Vanilla, Orange is another, along with Pineapple and the Coffee Flavors.

She rather enjoys the smell of the Butterscotch, The Chocolate Raspberry, Spearmint, Peppermint, Blueberry and the Strawberry. :)

GPR

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
I totally agree on the smell! I got chewed out by my friend Becky when she tried vaping at first. I told her she could vape inside and not smell up her house. She tried it and said the Menthol Tobacco Cartos left a stale Cigarette smell in her house. :(
I tried it in our house and my wife accused me of smoking cigarettes in the house! And that was 2 hours after I vaped a menthol carto!

There have been several different flavors that my wife has outlawed in the house. In addition to any of the Menthol Flavors there is Vanilla, Orange is another, along with Pineapple and the Coffee Flavors.

She rather enjoys the smell of the Butterscotch, The Chocolate Raspberry, Spearmint, Peppermint, Blueberry and the Strawberry. :)

GPR

Guess it's a good thing she doesn't mind the smell of fish or you'd never make it past the front door!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

GPR you do know why women hate the smell of fish? Who cares? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread