Status
Not open for further replies.

derekmeow

Oct 2, 2010
Malaysia
For VV mods, I was told that the following mods are the BEST choice: -

Provari as tube mod.

MonkeyBoxx VV as box mod.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this choice or you have better choice? :confused:

Your valuable feedback are most welcomed, hopefully this thread will help all newbies for choosing their very BEST variable voltage mods. :2cool:

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
There are tons of VV choices that are good, these days. I personally own a provari, and like it a lot. I'm sure other people prefer what they have. I think it almost comes down to looks, personal preference and what you're looking for it to do, now.

The good thing is, there are tons of options, and there are no longer the huge waiting lists that used to exist.

Jebus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2011
NSW, Australia
My votes go to: Buzz Pro (tube mod), and ali'i (BF mod). Good luck.

The buzz pro allows you to adjust voltage easier to find the voltage you want to vape at. along with awesome battery life and much less expensive as the provari.

The ali'i, though also not having the display is slimmer than the monkey box and is more carry friendly.

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
There is no best, it's what's best for you. The Provari is a great choice and if you're looking at tubes also check out the Buzz Pro and Darwin although it's not really a tube. Those would be my top 3 to look at in a tube and personally I'd go for the Buzz Pro, It's a lil cheaper should have longer battery life and I already have a screw on meter and don't care about the extras but any of those three would be a good choice in a tube.

For a box check out the Grip, Monkeybox, Mark V From Redsky and Ali. I've got a Grip and Mark V, like them both.

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
I'd go for the Buzz Pro, should have longer battery life

Not to nit pick, but doesn't the buzz pro use a 16340? The provari can hold an 18650 if you get the extended cap. I still think the buzz pro is a great option though. Personally, I rarely sit around checking the resistance of my atomizer over and over, and could do it with a fluke anyways. The spin dial option of the buzz seems pretty convenient as well.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I have read good comments on both. But from a technological standpoint, it have to be the Darwin. No VV PV has ability to sense the resistence change of the atty/carto and automatically adjust the power setting to maintain ultimate consistency, other than the Darwin. I also believe the 21+ hours on a charge is about the best from what I have read.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Not to nit pick, but doesn't the buzz pro use a 16340? The provari can hold an 18650 if you get the extended cap. I still think the buzz pro is a great option though. Personally, I rarely sit around checking the resistance of my atomizer over and over, and could do it with a fluke anyways. The spin dial option of the buzz seems pretty convenient as well.

The Provari uses 1 18500 or 18650 with the extra extension cap which I believe is around $20-$25. The Buzz Pro uses 2 x 16340s which means it doesn't need a booster circuit to achieve the voltage one battery would provide.

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
The Provari uses 1 18500 or 18650 with the extra extension cap which I believe is around $20-$25. The Buzz Pro uses 2 x 16340s which means it doesn't need a booster circuit to achieve the voltage one battery would provide.

Thanks for the correction. My apologies for the confusion.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I love my Provari's and I am loving my Buzz Pro... the internals of the Monkey Box VV look awesome!

There are a few to choose from; do your research if you have time, but imo there is nothing better than a good regulated variable volt pv. (that's my opinion).

btw; Buzz Pro from notcigs is the first of 3 new models with the same technology to come out now... the Infinity Pro and the VVPV (top feeder) all have the same internal boost and vv design.

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
For VV mods, I was told that the following mods are the BEST choice: -

Provari as tube mod.

MonkeyBoxx VV as box mod.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with this choice or you have better choice? :confused:

Your valuable feedback are most welcomed, hopefully this thread will help all newbies for choosing their very BEST variable voltage mods. :2cool:
Being one who actually prefers a multi voltage device that is mechanically sound and without electronics that can go to crap if say dropping in the pool or accidentally going through the wash machine etc... Yes there is a slight hassle and the dangers of stacking batteries... Shouldn't the Title also include these types of devices for the noobs... Just a thought.... I choose my tube mod specifically for that reason... If the switch goes to stink I can replace it for 12 bucks and a simple screw driver and not have to make a trip to Radio Shack... and/or spend another 20 bucks on electronics or ship back to the manufacturer.... Just saying.... lol...

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
Being one who actually prefers a multi voltage device that is mechanically sound and without electronics that can go to crap if say dropping in the pool or accidentally going through the wash machine etc... Yes there is a slight hassle and the dangers of stacking batteries... Shouldn't the Title also include these types of devices for the noobs... Just a thought.... I choose my tube mod specifically for that reason... If the switch goes to stink I can replace it for 12 bucks and a simple screw driver and not have to make a trip to Radio Shack... and/or spend another 20 bucks on electronics or ship back to the manufacturer.... Just saying.... lol...
BTW I do have and use kr808 batts, an Inferno (eGo clone), and my Megalodon with a Cherry Vapes Mjloner (epipe mod) on order.... So I am not opposed to electronics... Just thought I would broaden the spectrum per say....

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
BTW I do have and use kr808 batts, an Inferno (eGo clone), and my Megalodon with a Cherry Vapes Mjloner (epipe mod) on order.... So I am not opposed to electronics... Just thought I would broaden the spectrum per say....

When and if they come out with a all mechanical VV mod I'll be all over it. :)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I was going to say along with my opinion about regulated vv's being my favorite...is that those that can tailor their vape by matching attys/cartos with various pv's and batts, more power to 'em...

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
I am not an expert by any means. It is great that there are devices that have a brain and can self regulate vlts and detect resistance, fluctuations of resistance, and all that.... The thing that comes to my mind is that there is not an atomizer made that does the same thing... What I mean is if you put a lr atty on a VV pv with a brain it will not work any better than what the pv or atty is capable of based on the brain of the pv and vise versa... Ie if you put a standard or hr atty on a pv with a brain you can't turn that atty miraculously into a lr atty by dialing down the voltage.... In the end you still have to switch the atty to optimize performance... Are you not still limited by the capacity of the atty or the lack of... That is basically what I am thinking or is in my own mind.... I hope this makes sense I have a bit of the admiral in me (spiced rum at half the cost of the capt)....

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
hold on... the point is (imo) the best possible vape (based on objective reasoning).
The base criteria: lots of vapor and lots of flavor, and the most efficient use power.

Some of the new rebuildable atty's like the Genesis mod seem to give me that impression (although i don't really understand squat about the technology...) they appear (to me) to bring that optimal vape.
Whether it's an LR or SR or HR, we are after all looking for that OV.

I'll let you know if it is when i get my Genesis, and dial it in with my smart PV.

I am not an expert by any means. It is great that there are devices that have a brain and can self regulate vlts and detect resistance, fluctuations of resistance, and all that.... The thing that comes to my mind is that there is not an atomizer made that does the same thing... What I mean is if you put a lr atty on a VV pv with a brain it will not work any better than what the pv or atty is capable of based on the brain of the pv and vise versa... Ie if you put a standard or hr atty on a pv with a brain you can't turn that atty miraculously into a lr atty by dialing down the voltage.... In the end you still have to switch the atty to optimize performance... Are you not still limited by the capacity of the atty or the lack of... That is basically what I am thinking or is in my own mind.... I hope this makes sense I have a bit of the admiral in me (spiced rum at half the cost of the capt)....

bladebarrier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
CT
If the perfect vape existed, we'd all be using 801's.

Anyways, the device wouldn't matter as much.

A good 801 atty, dripped, will blow away any 306, 510, 808, for flavor. The funny thing is, the 801 never really grabbed on. It's easily the best atty. It's also huge, and maybe people wanted stealth before they stopped caring and started building mods. So, we ended up with 510's, and 306's. Neither can compare to the 801 for flavor, taste, or vapor, but they fit what we use, and as such they became popular. Culture moved on, and accepted the 510 and 306 as standards. Then we moved to high voltage, or bridge-less, or even more obscure designs. Trying to replicate what already existed. It's just that most people didn't realize what it was they were looking for.

The funny thing is, that I went to order a few atty's today, from ikenvape, and low and behold, after all this time, the most respected seller of atty's, now has a hybrid of 801's that fit a 510.

Well, you better believe I ordered some. All of this nonsense of this or that, usually leads back to him as the best seller. And now, an 801, without needing an adapter. My provari is going to be used again. I'm excited. The world has finally figured out what I've been yelling. The 801 is king, in the land of the 510.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
have to disagree... you know ymmv and all that.
I have a Cannon 801 Iken... it puts out lots of vapor, little to no TH (some like that)
The mouth is too wide for my taste as well. Very good atty otherwise.
I also have Provari...

But for me, [and i've just tried the Hybrid (510 with 306 innards)... and i have to totally agree with you on 510 and 306,]
...the regular DSE 901 (2.8 to 3 Ohm) is King... it blows them all away imo.... they last a week at 3.7 to 4.5 v. Just the right amount of flavor, t/h and lots of vapor.

Still, i am looking for the Genesis to top it... if not, i will have a lot of 901's.

A good 801 atty, dripped, will blow away any 306, 510, 808, for flavor. The funny thing is, the 801 never really grabbed on. It's easily the best atty. It's also huge, and maybe people wanted stealth before they stopped caring and started building mods. So, we ended up with 510's, and 306's. Neither can compare to the 801 for flavor, taste, or vapor, but they fit what we use, and as such they became popular. Culture moved on, and accepted the 510 and 306 as standards. Then we moved to high voltage, or bridge-less, or even more obscure designs. Trying to replicate what already existed. It's just that most people didn't realize what it was they were looking for.

The funny thing is, that I went to order a few atty's today, from ikenvape, and low and behold, after all this time, the most respected seller of atty's, now has a hybrid of 801's that fit a 510.

Well, you better believe I ordered some. All of this nonsense of this or that, usually leads back to him as the best seller. And now, an 801, without needing an adapter. My provari is going to be used again. I'm excited. The world has finally figured out what I've been yelling. The 801 is king, in the land of the 510.

Mr. P

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Ga.

I can understand where you are coming from and you want to be able to fix the prob yourself but on the flip side the VV mechanical box mods come with a 30-60 warranty where as the electronic VV ones come with a 1-2 year warranty. Many people like to have that piece of mind as they may not be as mechanically enclined as you.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

I agree. The 801 type atty (BE112 is better than DSE) is just a better overall vape than any 510. My caveat is that they perform much better at 4.5+ volts. If more people tried 801's instead of just moving with the crowd, they would switch in a heart beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread