Is loss of taste normal when starting out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cas713

Jul 22, 2011
Muncie, IN
I've noticed a loss of taste when vaping. Only when vaping; not when eating or drinking. The first day that I started vaping, I could taste the flavors of the cartos very distinctly. However, now, I can't really taste the flavor. At first, I thought that it was the fact that I had taken the cartos out of the blister pack and put them in my pcc. But, I just received some e-liquid and blank cartos from litecig and after filling the blanks I still really can't taste the new flavors very well unless I exhale through my nose (which makes sense with the correlation with smell and taste). Is this due to the type of e-liquid/cartos used or is this a side-effect of quitting analogs? I guess I'm just curious if this will get better the longer I'm off analogs or if I need to look at a different e-liquid?

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
It's normal and it happens to all of us from time to time, but more so during the first couple of weeks of vaping. Your taste buds regenerate about every two weeks or so, so the loss of flavor could last for a couple of days.

You can try eating some crusty bread, drinking more water, rinsing your mouth with mouthwash (Biotene is highly recommended by some members), switching your juice flavors to something stronger such as mints, cinnamon and menthols.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
It can be a variety of things. Loss of flavour from the juices can be fouled cartos/attys (as they get fouled, gunk builds up on the coils which raises the resistance and makes them burn cooler which reduces flavour), in which case give your attys a good thorough cleaning. (Rinse in water or soak in PGA, isopropanol or vodka, go through a few cycles, let sit for 24-48 hours or longer depending on what it is you're cleaning; cartos take longer because of all the filler). Sometimes the juice itself just isn't very strong in flavour, depending on the vendor and the blend. PG-based juices carry flavour better than VG-based. LR cartos and attys can boost the flavour by atomizing at higher temperatures, as can high or variable voltage devices. Also make sure your batteries are good and charged; many batteries have a voltage dropoff curve as you go through them, and as the voltage drops, so does the temperature, so flavour is lost. You could also become fatigued from that particular flavour. Switching flavours or eating something or rinsing your mouth out with something strong like mouthwash can help cleanse the palate and rejuvenate the flavour. I keep a couple of different flavours in different cartos for when I need a change. That definitely helps -- especially when one of the flavours is markedly difference, like chocolate mint in one and coffee or something in another.

However, your sense of taste will perk up after a week or so of quitting analogs, so depending on how long it has been since your last smoke this could make a difference.

cas713

Jul 22, 2011
Muncie, IN
post what pv you are using and I am sure some regs will gladly help you on your flavor quest

I'm using a Volt KR808

Are you vaping the same flavor over and over? Switching them up frequently will help while you're in this phase.

I've been vaping mostly Desert Joe from SI and after about the 3rd or 4th carto, I stopped being able to taste it at all. I also had a sampler pack from them (555, RY4, Cappuccino, Cowboy, Desert Joe). I tried the RY4 on the first day and it had a strong and distinct flavor, but when I went back to it yesterday, I couldn't taste anything! I just got some Dekang e-liquid from litecig (Energy Cow, USA Red Mix, and Djarum Black) and just filled some blanks a few hours ago and still have the same problem.

Been vaping for 2 months now and this evening I am experiencing exactly the same thing, nothing to do with vaping the same juice or anything to do with the juice I reckon - cos I got some new flavours and was going to complain because they taste of nothing, then I realised it was me! Been mostly on VG until yesterday, when I vaped quite alot of PG, personally I think the chemicals are doing it because that's all that I've changed

I'm using a Volt KR808

I've been vaping mostly Desert Joe from SI and after about the 3rd or 4th carto, I stopped being able to taste it at all. I also had a sampler pack from them (555, RY4, Cappuccino, Cowboy, Desert Joe). I tried the RY4 on the first day and it had a strong and distinct flavor, but when I went back to it yesterday, I couldn't taste anything! I just got some Dekang e-liquid from litecig (Energy Cow, USA Red Mix, and Djarum Black) and just filled some blanks a few hours ago and still have the same problem.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
YEah, that's why it's good to have a very different, preferably nice and bold flavour handy to really give your tastebuds a bit of a shake. A strong menthol or mint flavour, or something with cinnamon will definitely provide a nice palate cleanser. I have some cinnamon danish swirl that never fails to awaken the tastebuds if I start feeling like my all-day vape is tasting a little flat. I also have some nice chocolate mint that helps with that too, as well as a stupidly strong extreme mint type flavour. (I don't vape the extreme mint one much though because it has almost zero throat hit.)

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
its kind of a bummer really... in the dawn of enjoying my first few days of vaping then this happens. now i cant taste what im vaping.. i hope it gets better soon.. :(

It does pass. It may take a few days -- commonly I hear 2-3 days before it just starts, but sometimes it can be as much as a week. Once it goes away though, it may come back again at a later date, but for the most part it's gone, and at the other end you'll be able to taste even more than before. Think of it like your tongue molting.

(Er, wow ... that's a surprisingly disturbing thought now that I think about it.)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Entirely normal, in my case the "blahs" only tended to last a day, were much more frequent early on though I had them for maybe the first 7 months of vaping.

Some people use biotene mouth wash/rinse to try and help, others will use a strong flavor like a cinnamon or menthol, others will save their less liked (okay, crappy tasting :) ) eliquids for the blah days (since they can't taste them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread