GLV-3 review by War Mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Mouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Bay City MI
Welcome to my written review of the Great Lakes Vapor GLV-3.

A little about myself to give you an idea of my credentials. I quit analogs over a year ago, and in that time have become a forum dweller, as well as local advocate in my hometown. I enjoy people asking me about my vaping when I'm at work. I don't buy tons of mods, and this was my first pre-order, but I have been to many gatherings including Midwest Vapefest and have tried many different mods. I am by no means an expert, and this review is purely my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

(This is a review of the 5v version.)

Initial impressions: I convinced my boss to give me a quick break to run home and grab my new GLV-3 after my wife called and told me it had arrived. I raced home with that odd excited/apprehension you might feel on a first date. Is this THE ONE? Did I waste my money? Once I arrived home I ripped open the packaging and stared at my new mod. I liked the look, but knew I would from the pics/vids I had already seen. Was smaller than I was expecting in a good way. MUCH heavier than I was expecting, but not in a bad way. All pieces were included in the shipment including a juice sample bonus and extra empty bottle. There were even pieces I didn't have an immediate use for in my mind. (I later realized what the little orange ball and threaded screw thingy were for.) There were no directions with the unit, and this is probably the one knock I will give under first impressions. Having stalked the GLV-3 forum area, I know how to find the how to videos, but if someone ordered one today and did not know about the forum, they might be a little confused by everything. Forgivable as a pre-order issue, but I would recommend to Jay and Sarah that moving forward you include a directions sheet, including the silly stuff like battery orientation and specs, as well as feeder swapping information, or at least a links sheet to the videos because they are not easy to find anymore.

Overall: First impressions can be everything and the GLV-3 does not disappoint. I loved everything about its looks and style. The unit feels extremely well put together and gives one the sense that not only is it truck proof, but would probably ward off small arms fire as well. It arrived with extras and goodies I did not expect but do appreciate. If it had directions it would have gotten a perfect score in this category. 4.5 out of 5

Functionality: This is the easy part. Does the mod do what it says and how well does it do it. The GLV-3 claims to be the first "Hybrid box mod", and from what I can tell it is. It is essentially a PV and a manual tank mod in one. It is a resisted 5v device, and can be used as a top feed or bottom feed box mod. By itself the PV portion is essentially a GLV-2 that has been slightly modified to allow for bottom feeding. There are lots of reviews for the GLV-2 so I wont dwell here, but will say it is as good as everyone says as a stand alone PV. The bottom feed system works as advertised, and is surprisingly easy to pick up. As a carto only guy for a long time, it only took one review of Jay's video and one flooding accident to pick up bottom feeding. (Now if I could only figure out WHEN to do it so I don't get that one half burnt vape before feeding. This is my issue not the units.) Top feeding is just as natural as dripping and I would say has the same learning curve. Since you don't get the gurgle when loading with the top feed you may consider a drip shield. Not because you're no good at top feeding, but because they look and work awesome. Wish I had one. Switching between the two the first time is a little odd and time consuming, but after switching back it had gotten much easier. Two or so runs through it and it will be second nature and take very little time. "On the fly" as Jay says will be very possible. Changing flavors will be as easy or as hard as you make it. Since I can no longer stand tobacco smells or flavors I have moved into the fruits/candies/sweets realm. Switching between some of these will only require a bottle switch which is extremely easy and finishing off of the previous flavor in the tube. Switching from somthing like mint chocolate chip to grape would require a hose change, (my GLV-3 came with extra) and a quick blow out of the bottom feed needle and atty. Cleaning is straight forward for anyone who regularly uses a mod.

Overall: The GLV-3 does what it says it can do and does it all very well. After a small user break in period to dial yourself in, this PV can be exactly what you want it to be and you may be surprised. I saw myself as a top feeding carto guy, but after trying different things have become, (for now), a bottom feeding atty guy. Who knew? 5 out of 5

Intangibles: (Some tangibles as well) This is a mod that is built for military duty. There are some other rugged mods out there that come to mind but this is their Commander In Chief. The last mod I bought was specifically purchased for field use. It's my wife's now. With enough room inside the box portion to hold at least a spare atty this is a grab and go mod without equal. I would go so far as to say that this is the only mod I will be recommending to military personnel until there is an aluminum, rubber and neoprene water proof mod. Don't let all of this dripping machismo deter you though. It's a great looking, comfortable mod as well. It can get a bit big in some very small hands, but even my wife can one hand the device. If you have small hands and don't mind the move from 5v to 3.7v, you may feel more comfortable holding a mini or the future super mini. The fact that there are options out there keeps this from becoming a negative. My customer service experience has been second to none. Not once did I have to call Jay, but I can't think of any other internet business that puts a personal phone number on their web page. I had several email conversations with Sarah and always received a prompt response. When I did have an issue, (a small one involving my powder color choice), they offered a solution that was well beyond what was strictly necessary and made me a GLV customer for life. I hope I get a chance to meet them when I move to Michigan. I would like to shake their hands and extend my thanks personally.

Overall: This is a great looking, and performing mod. It is extremely well designed and thought out. 5 out of 5

Conclusion: If you're in the market for a new mod, and have the money, put the GLV-3 on the top of your list to research. As a hybrid mod this piece is currently in a league of its own, literally. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helped,

War Mouse

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Great review sir!:thumb:

I'm getting my feet wet with a Super Mini (military issue flat black) and then we'll see about a GLV3...

How was your paint job? I've heard these things are hot, and have only seen about a dozen so far... Remember, pics or it didn't happen!

Very well thought out review, an easy read and very informative. If it had pics it would have gotten a perfect score, I give it a 4.5 out of 5

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
Very well written, War Mouse. "Commander In Chief" indeed!

I agree about instructions for those who may be infrequent forum visitors but on the other hand, every time someone asks about the orange ball I fondly recall the "three seashells" scene from Demolition Man and chuckle aloud.

When instructions are written, IMO a simple diagram would be best.

jaybird

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
MI USA
www.greatlakesvapor.com
Dayumm Jay, that's quick!

Your simple but effective GLV-2 component drawing has been an excellent tool to satisfy incredulous TSA agents and it''s awesome to know I'll be able to travel with my GLV-3 without raising any unreasonable suspicions.

A customer made that drawing for us...did a very good job too.

War Mouse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2010
Bay City MI
It makes me exceptionally glad to see that some directions will be added in the future. Nothing, (not even a military field manual), is idiot proof, but some "slower than average" diagrams will save you a lot of headaches. "Aim at enemy" may seem like common sense but it's written in a lot of places leading me to believe......

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
OK I have a GLV 3 mini. It came setup for bottom feeding with the tube attached. It was kinked. It almost seemed as if the tube was too long. Since I don't think I will use the top feed, I cut another link of tubing the same size. It kinked too. So I cut one a bit shorter, however it is too short for me to connect it, the tubing is long enough, just not long enough to work with. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread