How long to charge battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new e-cig owner and haven't found a clear-cut answer to a question I'm dying to know the answer to: How long should I charge a dse901 battery when charging for the first time? I've heard anything from "until the red light turns green" to 12 hours. The light is green now, and I want to start vaping... but I don't want to risk shortening battery life.

What's the real answer?

Kristen

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
I'd highly recommend the first charge being 8 hours. After that, every 3-4 hours is sufficient. I disregard the green light, I don't think it's a good indicator of the charge. Also, never overcharge your batteries or just leave them there, they can explode or even catch fire. Dangerous!

I think you are being too alarmist. A bad charger could cause problems, but that is unlikely............What you are saying is "don'[t drive you car, you may have a blowout and crash." Yes , that could happen, but not all that often to be frightened by it.

An 8 hour charge is not necessary, it just isn't.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
2 out of 5 suppliers I've dealt with have charged the batteries before sending, so don't be alarmed if the green light comes on after 10 minutes or so. I'd still leave them on for a few hours, but that's probably just old habits talking - I agree with Elendil, the green light should be your indicator.

DragoonZeph

May 14, 2009
Apex, NC
With most lithium ion batteries that I have read, they have memory. Much like your cell phone battery or your laptop battery. The new take on those batteries is to run them completely dry and then give them a more than enough time to completely charge. This will allow the battery to have the maximum width of life (might be a little confusing there). Basically allow the battery to feel what completely empty and completely full is like. Now that will allow the battery to perform better according to laptop and cell phone batteries. I would transfer that to the battery here. As for leaving the battery plugged in, that should not have any effect on the life of it unless you have the ability to use (drain) the battery and charge it at the same time.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
Lithium Ion batteries do NOT have memory. Nickel metal hydride batteries suffer from that problem.

Repeat after me: Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory
Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory
Lithium Ion batteries do not have memory.................

Keep repeating until you remember it.

Elendil

Assclown Exterminator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
IL USA
With most lithium ion batteries that I have read, they have memory. Much like your cell phone battery or your laptop battery. The new take on those batteries is to run them completely dry and then give them a more than enough time to completely charge. This will allow the battery to have the maximum width of life (might be a little confusing there). Basically allow the battery to feel what completely empty and completely full is like. Now that will allow the battery to perform better according to laptop and cell phone batteries. I would transfer that to the battery here. As for leaving the battery plugged in, that should not have any effect on the life of it unless you have the ability to use (drain) the battery and charge it at the same time.

You should ask for this post to be deleted, or erase it yourself. It is simply not accurate.

DragoonZeph

May 14, 2009
Apex, NC
Your correct in that it is a memory-free but... Don't know if the digital switch in a e-cig takes into this factor:

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. (Read more in 'Choosing the right battery for portable computing', Part Two.) "

I do apologize but this is what I was referring to.

DragoonZeph

May 14, 2009
Apex, NC
Oh, and li-ion battery care is as follows:

"# Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

# Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

# Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

# Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

# Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

# If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge. "

Would disregard some wrong statements I might have made earlier.

rsngfrce

ECF Veteran
OK, channeling Kate now... :thumb:

battery-level-0.jpg

STILLSMOK9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Esoteric State of America
Elendil, I read this yesterday and now after reading a comment from a Chinese Supplier I am CONFUSED :(

Please advise on below text(bold):

It depends on the right way to use and recharge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPaidToStopSmoking
Interesting,

The secret to extended battery life is not to overcharge, as in, charge before battery is totally depleted. I am on same battery for 8 months, but I wait for it to be dead first before recharging. A friend charges his every night whether needed or not and his went totally dead in 5 months, so it all depends on battery and not overcharging it more than needed.

Success to all,

Yes, i agree with this opinion, gernerally speaking the normal charging time should be 2-3hours. and you shouldnt use it too frequent or recharge it before it is depleted, cause the e-cigarette apply the Li-ion, it has memory, if you charge it before it is depleted or use it before it is recharged fully, it wont be recharged fully anymore, on the market, most of battery has 3-6months warranty. And you should know the ic of battery is not perfect for now, which means it is a little sensitive and weak, so the right way to use is very important!
__________________[/
I]

BardicDruid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2009
Central Texas
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just got my e-cigs today. No instructions on the website, and only an invoice with the cigs themselves. The light is pink, and there's no indication anywhere that it would turn green upon charging. It came with a USB charger, and there's nothing anywhere about how long to charge the battery...
So far all the e-cig chargers I've seen have a red light when charging and turns green when done, if your's doesn't have that I'd suggest looking into getting some better equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread