Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padre

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Maryland
It's coming!! Anyone in the path should be ready by now.
K Space, I see you are in the path, hopefully all will be ok.

I haven't run my generator in a few years and what do you know, it started on the first try!
I am probably safe in the DC area, but better to be prepared now then when I need it. It seems the power goes out if you just say hurricane in the Mid Atlantic. The last time one came even remotely close, we lost power for 4 days, and this one is stronger and larger than that one!

I should probably head for 'The Basement' again.

Geez, first an earthquake, now a 'cane. What's next?

tgcrna

Tink
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Hey Padre
I'm in the Piedmont region of North Carolina (center, near the Virginia border) and it has been a little breezy here, but nothing major. I would love to get some good storms out of this. We need the rain and I love a good storm! Of course, I don't want anyone to have injuries or property damage! But some good thunder, lightening, and rain would be fabulous :)

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
The weather report just said the Nations Capitol was right in the path of the hurricane. Sure glad to hear you have a generator and I'd load up on some extra fuel for it ... enough to last you several days anyhow. Please keep yourself safe and check in with us as much as your able to. I sure hope it swings out to sea and away from you though.

Here in East Texas they just said that we're at day 56 with temperatures over 100 degrees.

Take care of yourself and be ready to hunker down.

TT

Padre

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Maryland
The weather report just said the Nations Capitol was right in the path of the hurricane. Sure glad to hear you have a generator and I'd load up on some extra fuel for it ... enough to last you several days anyhow. Please keep yourself safe and check in with us as much as your able to. I sure hope it swings out to sea and away from you though.

Here in East Texas they just said that we're at day 56 with temperatures over 100 degrees.

Take care of yourself and be ready to hunker down.

TT

we are under a tropical storm warning, but my daughters home is under a hurricane warning!

Good thing she is coming here this weekend...speaking of... I get to babysit my baby grand daughter by myself tomorrow! Daughter will be out and my wife is out until tomorrow night, so it's me and the baby for the day! I can't wait!
Don't know what I am going to do if she gets a dirty diaper, but the rest will be great!

tgcrna

Tink
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Greensboro, NC
we are under a tropical storm warning, but my daughters home is under a hurricane warning!

Good thing she is coming here this weekend...speaking of... I get to babysit my baby grand daughter by myself tomorrow! Daughter will be out and my wife is out until tomorrow night, so it's me and the baby for the day! I can't wait!
Don't know what I am going to do if she gets a dirty diaper, but the rest will be great!

You'll change it, silly!! :p

tat2d4life

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
somewhere NY
Well NYers get it easy ... We take it for granted ... Gloria was a Category 3 which was back in 85, so we know what can happen, but every other storm that has hit here was a small tropical storm...The people on Fire Island( a Barrier island to Long Island) are mandatory evacuation , but I have seen on new that a few refuse to leave... Fire Island gets the worst of every storm, and sooner or later it will be washed away ... I hope this isn't the time to say goodbye to fire island =/

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I hope not too tat. Thats the way it always goes though. Everyone prepares, not much happens so the next one they take with a grain of salt and thats the one that devastates them. You really just have to prepare for the worst with every one of them. We learned the hard way too. We evacuated for so many storms before Hugo and pretty much everything was fine. Went through the hassle of trying to get back to our home after the storms passed and would curse that we even left. So we stayed for Hugo.
HUGE mistake.

I think that everyone that is taking this serious and is prepared will be OK.

tat2d4life

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
somewhere NY
Hugo was bad.. It was up there with Katrina..I can honestly understand people don't want to give up their homes... I know I can and will survive,but my biggest concern is my mother.. she is in Vermont and the path is projected right in here area , and if NY doesnt take a storm serious, Vermont,Mass and RI will brush it off and it will be a hugo katrina worst case scenario

DeXTeR

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2010
Valley Head, Alabama
www.vaporjunction.com
Everyone in Irene's path is in our prayers. Please be prepared and not to stubborn to leave if need be. Ya'll keep safe and keep us updated. We were right smack in the middle of all the Tornadoes that hit earlier this year. A lot of damage done and a lot of lives lost. We hope the lord keeps everyone safe during this time.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I was in Charleston, SC (ground zero) for Hugo. We had 4 adults, 1 child and 2 gerbils stuffed into a small bathroom of our single story home. After we had our roof blown off and very large pine trees in our house through the first half of the storm :( Really did not think that any of us were going to survive it. You are right many beaches like Folly and Isle of palms were just gone. I remember listening to our battery operated radio the next morning after the storm and they were announcing that if you live in North Charleston you now own ocean front property.
I can't say that I have ever been as scared in my life as I was that night.
But I guarantee you that I would never ride another one out. :)

PS In the end your personal property is not as important as you think it is :)

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Everyone in Irene's path is in our prayers. Please be prepared and not to stubborn to leave if need be. Ya'll keep safe and keep us updated. We were right smack in the middle of all the Tornadoes that hit earlier this year. A lot of damage done and a lot of lives lost. We hope the lord keeps everyone safe during this time.

Thats a good point too DeXter. These hurricanes spawn many tornadoes :(

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I was telling a few friends today , that if I survive this storm, I am moving to Az where the only real threat is a cactus.....after this past year of record snow , a partial earthquake and now a hurricane, I want out =/

You know I have thought that way too :) We lived in Charleston for more than 30 years. Even though the hurricanes were not why we moved to the foothills in the upstate I was so freakin glad not to have to be stressed during hurricane season anymore :) But now we have to worry about the darn tornadoes :( I think that anywhere you go you will have some type of disasterous weather to deal with.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I remember Hugo. My family, friends and I stayed at a condo at a beach in SC one year, the next it was gone! We still see pictures of the damage done by Hugo when we go to the beach!

I think that you are talking about Myrtle Beach. If you think those pictures were bad you should see them of Folly Beach :( It was literally leveled. MB took a good hit too though. The poor people in McLellanville got the storm surge and most of those people that were in 2 story homes had to kick holes in their ceiling and ride out the storm floating around in their attics :( Worst part was the school that they used as a shelter was the worst place that they could have picked. It was completely under water and people were on the roof hanging on for dear life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread