Not open for further replies.

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
again solid review, I totally agree, what I do like is the electronics, to set the wattage etc...would like to see a device with that but with a different look and build...

hi mate,

you should consider the Provari........best device ive used so far

i know it varies the voltage rather than the wattage but the vaping results are identical, with both devices creating excellent and consistent amounts of vapour ;)

cheers

scott

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
I have looked at that but it does not take DC LR carto's....ordered the buzz pro ;-)
hi mate,

you should consider the Provari........best device ive used so far

i know it varies the voltage rather than the wattage but the vaping results are identical, with both devices creating excellent and consistent amounts of vapour ;)

cheers

scott

MotoMofo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Maryland
I loved my Darwin. I did a video of it as well. Didn't have any of the problems you're describing with mine. Carried it in my pocket all day and the wattage never changed. My switch was pretty light. The arm wasn't wiggly when it was fully extended. My button did rattle a bit though. And the looks of it grew on me. Plus it fit in my pocket better than any other mod I've used, it being flat and skinny and all. To each his own I guess. Cheers.

sonicares

Mar 7, 2011
london
I loved my Darwin. I did a video of it as well. Didn't have any of the problems you're describing with mine. Carried it in my pocket all day and the wattage never changed. My switch was pretty light. The arm wasn't wiggly when it was fully extended. My button did rattle a bit though. And the looks of it grew on me. Plus it fit in my pocket better than any other mod I've used, it being flat and skinny and all. To each his own I guess. Cheers.

What you said above is what we call "backwards rationalisation" in psychology. You don't want to feel bad about wasting money so you convince yourself that you made the right decision. LMAO.. get over yourself.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I had the exact same experience ... button so stiff it is hard to fire and easy to lose fire with your finger slipping off. You really got to focus on the press every time.
I don't mind the looks myself, but the fact that there is no drip well, and if you drip, forget it... constant leaking right down the side where the gap is on the wheel.
The fact that you have a watt/volt sensor thing if that's what it is, just turns so many people on. it does. Unfortunately it's too hard to use compared to the Provari.

BTW, the new Buzz Pro is easier to drip than the Provari.... just because if you want to change voltage as your juice diminishes in the atty, lower it as the juice volume reduces so not to get harsh taste, the adjust wheel is great!
Whereas you are not likely to do that with the click button voltage adjust of the Vari.

Last edited:

MotoMofo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Maryland
What you said above is what we call "backwards rationalisation" in psychology. You don't want to feel bad about wasting money so you convince yourself that you made the right decision. LMAO.. get over yourself.

What you said above is known as committing the logical fallacy of "ad hominem." You cant make a cogent point to discredit my stance that I ACTUALLY DO like my darwin and do not feel like I wasted my money, so you resort to attempting to make an attack on me. who are you to make such a claim? I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. I've had none of the problems Scott describes in this review. The only problem that I've had with the device is that the button rattles. It doesn't need to be perfect for me to like it. If you dont like the fact that I like it, you can get bent! I did not ask you to attempt to make a half-baked psychological diagnosis of my post or my rationale. so why would you feel the need to put your two pence in about my statement? sounds like you need you get over YOURSELF.

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
hi mate,

im glad to hear that you are enjoying your Darwin, and as long as you are happy with it then nothing else matters ;)

i would like to share this post from a forum member over at UKV:-

"Just an update. Bugger the warranty. I couldn't stand the switch (I was getting callouses on my thumb) so I opened up the Darwin to see why the switch was so stiff. Turns out the the actual switch is a very small microswitch which is very light in action. The problem was with the piece of bent brass sheet that acts as a button. I bent mine slightly, put it back together and what do you know - it now activates with the lightest of touches.

This, to me, is poor quality control on assembly. The switch should activate like it does now "out of the box". Don't they test them? 2 seconds to rectify.

While I had it open, I poked the spring and ball bearing that hold the arm in an upright position. I think the ball wasn't seated correctly. When reassembled, the arm now clicks upright with a satisfying click and doesn't collapse when a tank or something heavy is attached. Same QC problem.

When you make something, you must know what the finished product is supposed to be like, so when each one is made it should be tested against these criteria. It looks like Evolv don't actually do this.

Something else I've got is fingerprints on the finish that I can't remove.
"

now 2 of my main gripes were the stiff switch and the wobbly arm which the above person (and many others) experienced as well.........he managed to fix his issues in a matter of minutes, and if Evolve had done the same thing before sending the device out to the supplier to sell then my review may well have been a very different story

cheers

scott

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
OK so some do not like the Darwin, fine. From the owner of several "high end" Mod's (the Vari included) I can say this is the only $200+ dollar unit I have purchased two of. If you are a fan of "tube" style MOD's then you will probably find this design puts you off. But let's give some credit where credit is do. Evolv has brought a unit to the market that no matter what you put on it the PV will alter the voltage over the batt cycle, atty/carto changes due to heat/aging and deliver the same watts no matter what. They have also been implementing changes based on user feedback (i.e stiff button has been updated) and they have revised the design when they see a need. Additionally I have seen numerous posts that when an issue has occured Evolv has stepped in and taken care of their customer promptly. So while I can vape my Vari, Buzz, Infinity, Reo's, Super-T etc. I find that 90% of my vaping is now done on the Darwins equiped with Iken Fusion and V2 cartos. So pick you VV (or in my case VW) weapon find your happy place and vape away.

MotoMofo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Maryland
hi mate,

im glad to hear that you are enjoying your Darwin, and as long as you are happy with it then nothing else matters ;)

i would like to share this post from a forum member over at UKV:-

"Just an update. Bugger the warranty. I couldn't stand the switch (I was getting callouses on my thumb) so I opened up the Darwin to see why the switch was so stiff. Turns out the the actual switch is a very small microswitch which is very light in action. The problem was with the piece of bent brass sheet that acts as a button. I bent mine slightly, put it back together and what do you know - it now activates with the lightest of touches.

This, to me, is poor quality control on assembly. The switch should activate like it does now "out of the box". Don't they test them? 2 seconds to rectify.

While I had it open, I poked the spring and ball bearing that hold the arm in an upright position. I think the ball wasn't seated correctly. When reassembled, the arm now clicks upright with a satisfying click and doesn't collapse when a tank or something heavy is attached. Same QC problem.

When you make something, you must know what the finished product is supposed to be like, so when each one is made it should be tested against these criteria. It looks like Evolv don't actually do this.

Something else I've got is fingerprints on the finish that I can't remove.
"

now 2 of my main gripes were the stiff switch and the wobbly arm which the above person (and many others) experienced as well.........he managed to fix his issues in a matter of minutes, and if Evolve had done the same thing before sending the device out to the supplier to sell then my review may well have been a very different story

cheers

scott

I can respect your view on this quality control issue. In fact, I agree with it. They should check every one of these things that leave evolv. I just didnt respect that since mine did not have these problems and stated as such, I was assaulted with a fallacious pseudo-psychological claim. I realize that "sonicares" is not you, Scott. And I certainly didnt mean to color your thread poorly, so I apologize for that. I was just shocked at the post of this member of the usually super friendly vaping community, in response to my completely benign observations. I wasnt trying to discredit your review. In short: Scott, love the reviews, keep doing what you're doing. Sonicares, sod off. Cheers.

igetcha

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2008
UK
www.E-Cig-Reviews.com
lol, thats cool mate........i didnt think for one minute that you were having a dig at me or anything like that! :)

i respect that you enjoy the Darwin and am genuinely pleased to hear that you (and many others) are happy with it........just not one for me on that occasion, lol

cheers

scott

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
OK so some do not like the Darwin, fine. From the owner of several "high end" Mod's (the Vari included) I can say this is the only $200+ dollar unit I have purchased two of. If you are a fan of "tube" style MOD's then you will probably find this design puts you off. But let's give some credit where credit is do. Evolv has brought a unit to the market that no matter what you put on it the PV will alter the voltage over the batt cycle, atty/carto changes due to heat/aging and deliver the same watts no matter what. They have also been implementing changes based on user feedback (i.e stiff button has been updated) and they have revised the design when they see a need. Additionally I have seen numerous posts that when an issue has occured Evolv has stepped in and taken care of their customer promptly. So while I can vape my Vari, Buzz, Infinity, Reo's, Super-T etc. I find that 90% of my vaping is now done on the Darwins equiped with Iken Fusion and V2 cartos. So pick you VV (or in my case VW) weapon find your happy place and vape away.

Ski- you make a very good point - if a vaper enjoys a Variable Voltage device there are tons of them out there, BUT, if a vaper enjoys a Variable Wattage (power) device, there is currently only one, and that is the Darwin....

Having used VV and VW, without a doubt, my main vape is the VW device, the Darwin......

So whether it is a VV or VW you like......vape on and enjoy......

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

What do you call in psychology when you thought Londoners were really nice people with cute accents, only to find out that they are just as rudely critical as the rest of the world? Just curious. I'm not a psychologist, but I play one on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread