Handkerchief Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoderGuy

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
Washington, USA
With all the talk about how much nic we are getting by vaping, I decided to try the old hankerchief test (they used to use it in the old anti-smoking ads) where you inhale a nice amount, then blow it out through a white hankerchief. With analogs you end up with a nice dark brown spot (which they used to say, "That is what ends up in your lungs after each draw").

So I tried it with my analog and it does indeed leave a nice dark brown spot. I then tried it with my 801 and a nice big draw, and not a mark at all. I even tried it again in the same spot and still no mark.

I would be intereted in other's tests, for those with Prodigys, Screwdrivers, Janty Sticks, you know, the real vapor producers, to see if more vapor would leave a stain.

CoderGuy

CoderGuy

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
Washington, USA
I think the what you're seeing ( or rather NOT seeing) is the tar that you find in analogs but is missing from e-cigs.

Never thought of doing this myself but I do remember seeing it done in old anti-smoking ads.

Not very scientific but an eye opener none the less.

Definitely and eye opener. I always thought that brown stuff all over my walls was nicotine, maybe not? Maybe tar? Which means I guess no more discoloration of walls, electronics, basically anything light, due to vaping (whoo hoo!)

CG

DaBrat

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2009
Back end of GA
www.myspace.com
I have something called a Sharp PlasmaCluster in each room in my home. Basically its a reactive air filtration system that senses the purity of the air and reacts in kind. Ok no big deal BUT this thing is so sensitive that if you shower three rooms over, the indicator turns red and it kicks into high gear. Now if I smoke in the same room this thing turns red and takes some time to transition to yellow and back to green. Heck if the cat passes gas it picks that up within a minute across the room.

That being said, it doesn't react AT ALL when I vape. I walked over to it and blew slowly directly into the front of the unit by the sensor, didn't even turn yellow til the end of the exhale and I think that had more to do with coffee breath than the ecig.

Did I mention, its so sensitive it tells me I need a bath when I come in from gardening?...lol

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
With all the talk about how much nic we are getting by vaping, I decided to try the old hankerchief test (they used to use it in the old anti-smoking ads) where you inhale a nice amount, then blow it out through a white hankerchief. With analogs you end up with a nice dark brown spot (which they used to say, "That is what ends up in your lungs after each draw").

So I tried it with my analog and it does indeed leave a nice dark brown spot. I then tried it with my 801 and a nice big draw, and not a mark at all. I even tried it again in the same spot and still no mark.

I would be intereted in other's tests, for those with Prodigys, Screwdrivers, Janty Sticks, you know, the real vapor producers, to see if more vapor would leave a stain.

CoderGuy

Guy--try the Glass Test. Take a drinking glass and exhale an analog out into it. Smoke the hole analog. Take a look at it and you will see the film build up. Now take your e-cig and vape into another clean on. What are you going to find? Not much---not much of anything. I have not had to clean my computer screen or the inside of my auto windsheild of that nasty film ever due to vaping---------Sun

CoderGuy

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
Washington, USA
Guy--try the Glass Test. Take a drinking glass and exhale an analog out into it. Smoke the hole analog. Take a look at it and you will see the film build up. Now take your e-cig and vape into another clean on. What are you going to find? Not much---not much of anything. I have not had to clean my computer screen or the inside of my auto windsheild of that nasty film ever due to vaping---------Sun

It really is amazing how "clean" vaping really is. I love vaping all morning and in my car on the way to work and getting to work and having someone say, "Still not smoking, cool". I love it!

CoderGuy

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread