Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
I meant tanks, ce2's/clearos. If a mod would like to fix it for me, I'd appreciate it. This could be a very useful thread.

A lot of us use tanks, ce2's, and clearos. I want to get a list all in one place of juices and/or flavorings if you DIY that cause cracking. Okay, these I am aware of:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types

Let's work on this together and get it all in one place. Let's try to be as specific as possible. This does not mean that these are bad to vape for any reason at all, simply that they are bad fro plastic, or polycarbonate tubing.

Edit by classwife : See last post in thread for list :
Let's make a list of juices/flavors that crack tanks, ce2's/clearos...

Last edited by a moderator:

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I wasn't even aware of this phenomenon. If it happens to me, I will definitely post flavors here. I'll keep an eye out.

Glad I stumbled on this, I vape wintergreen occasionaly but I haven't put it in any of my clearos yet. Thanks!

Yes Baronvoncardo, it is some sort of chemical reaction between the wintergreen flavor and the polycarbonate. That kind of reaction can be extremely dangerous because from what I saw of the Tank Tube it looked as if the Polycarbonate was actually reacting in the same fashion as something would react to an acid. It was like it was eating the material the tube was made of and acting as a solvent which would infuse the liquid with the materials the tube was made of. That in turn would mean you would be inhaling this chemical concoction which would be very very bad I am sure.

Nate aka Darth vapor

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Okay, I just got word on another about cracked tanks with these juices, so they are added to the list:
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake
KBV Hummingbird nectar

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. So far we have:

Any juice that has:
Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay

Any wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA ripe banana flavoring
TPA honeysuckle flavoring
TPA maraschino cherry flavoring
TPA cherry blossom flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake
KBV Hummingbird nectar

With so many folks using tanks nowadays, let's all contribute here!!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
That's interesting. I wonder what the new material is in the thicker ce2's. The "syringe mod" is just plastic, as far as i know.The tanks we're talking about are mostly the liquinator tanks, and they are made from a rather thick polycarbonate. I only use the tanks, not ce2's, but I have heard this applies to them as well, don't know about the newer ones. Thanks for that info.

I haven't noticed any of this with the new tubing on the CE2's or the 'syringe mod'. If that helps anyone who wants to use these juices. I use things with cinnamon,citric and sour flavoring.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Your welcome, we need to keep this bumped up so it gets more attention. It's still a crapshoot, but I'm hoping this will give us some general guidlines.

Big thank you my4jewels for this post! I have been so scared to put liquids into my tank besides the one I know won't crack it. Now maybe I can expand a little more without worry.

Lambch3p

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Sunny Tampa Florida
I know that mimosa and cola e-liquid both etched my genesis tank tubing. I assumed it was the orange in the mimosa and the cinnamon in the cola. The new ce2's that Gotvapes is selling are made out of a different type of plastic, similar to the ego tank plastic and do not react with at least cinnamon. (I have some in one right now. :) )

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
The mimosa I can understand. I have some mimosa from Honeyville. I really like it, but it's a bit tart, wouldn't dare put it in one of my liquinator tanks. I didn't know there was cinnamon in cola e liquid. What brand was the juice, or was it DIY? I was going to try mixing up some vanilla coke juice soon.

I know that mimosa and cola e-liquid both etched my genesis tank tubing. I assumed it was the orange in the mimosa and the cinnamon in the cola. The new ce2's that Gotvapes is selling are made out of a different type of plastic, similar to the ego tank plastic and do not react with at least cinnamon. (I have some in one right now. :) )

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I haven't noticed any of this with the new tubing on the CE2's or the 'syringe mod'. If that helps anyone who wants to use these juices. I use things with cinnamon,citric and sour flavoring.
I don;t know about the new tubing on the CE2's but I don't think anything will crack the syinge mod, it seems to just go and go, and I use cinnamon in it allot.
They are a little pain in neck to make, but with a box cutter (be very carful or you can cut yourself). I used a 3ml syringe and cut it to the same length as the CE2 and use fine sandpaper to take any burrs off the inside edges, then slip in on and your in business, no leaking or cracking.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your tank to crack. I just ordered 3' of polycarbonate tubing. I am going to cut the tubing and use it in my tanks to try out some questionable flavors. This way, I won't be upset if I crack one, but I'll have an answer on some of these variables. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Cinnamon like "atomic cinnamon" types, not warm cinnamon like cinnamon coffe cake, this is okay
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
TPA root beer flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)
Oil based/e liquid that conains essential oils, when mixed with pg/vg, creates esters which will crack plastics
E liquids that contain triacetin, used in vg liquids to carry flavor more effectively
Vapalicious Gooey Butter Cake

I just noticed that Perfumer's Apprentice lists triactetin as in ingredient in some of their flavors, so be sure to check that out.

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems.

Last edited:

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
My aim is to compile a list of juice and flavorings that may cause potential problems as far as cracking polycarbonate tanks. Anything listed here may cause your tank to crack. I just ordered 3' of polycarbonate tubing. I am going to cut the tubing and use it in my tanks to try out some questionable flavors. This way, I won't be upset if I crack one, but I'll have an answer on some of these variables. I am primarily focused on the polycarbonate tanks, although this info can easily apply to other tanks.

I have heard good things about the new ce2's with thicker tubing. I have also heard that the ce2 "syringe mod" can take just about anything. YMMV. Also, bear in mind that different vendors may use different ingredients to make the same flavors. So, a flavored e juice you get from one vendor that is safe for yout tank may not be safe from another vendor, or vice versa. For instance, I have no trouble at all with VaporGod strawberry kiwi, but Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake can potentially crack you tank. Clear as mud, huh?

Some of these are premixed juices, some are flavorings that DIY'ers use. Contributions have been made by myself and other members. So far we have:

Any juice that has:

Sour flavors
Malic acid
Citrus acid
Wintergreen juice or flavoring
Mrs. T's strawberry shortcake, snickerdoodle
KBV Hummingbird nectar
mimosa(because of the orange)
cola(because of cinnamon)?
Vapor Renu Teaberry, cherry vanilla (possibly most of their flavors)

Disclaimer: These are not "bad" juices. They just have the potential to cause cracking in tank systems.
Great list, Thanks for the time you have spent getting all this together. My problem is I have a hard time figuring out if my juice or other factors are cracking mine. I have had a very few that were cracked when I got them. And The tube is smaller than the threaded part that is pushed over the o-ring so its under stress to start with. The only way I know for sure it a juice is cracking it is to take the tube off and soak it in a juice, but who wants to waste that much juice experimenting.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
thats what scares me about ecigs, if this juice cracks tanks what does it do to your lungs

If your lungs are made up of chemical substances, you should be afraid of the interaction between them and your vapor. Fortunately, lungs aren't made up of chemical substances.

Look at it this way: Bleach is a great thing. You can use it to clean and disinfect surfaces and fabric. But if you mix it with other soaps or cleaning agents, you can create very nasty substances that can cause dangerous vapors.

The problem is the chemical reaction between the plastic and chemicals in certain juices...not the juices themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread