Help, Gotta have a dental implant and supposed to quit smoking ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoAnna1010

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Knoxville TN, USA
Been vaping for about 18 months. Still have 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. Don't know why. Just still like it.

Anyway ..... I'm going to have a dental implant in mid-october. The Oral surgeon says to minimize the implant having problems and "not taking" I should STOP SMOKING. This apparently includes ALL NICOTINE. He was not impressed with my ecig's and stated that nicotine in any form was as big a problem with the implant as the other bad stuff in regular cigarettes.

Anyway.....I'm gonna switch to zero nicotine. Couple of questions;

I read somewhere that zero nicotine actually still has some nicotine. Is this true??

Did any of you who switched to zero nicotine have terrible nicotine withdrawal?
I used to think my "habit" was more about the process of smoking/oral fixation/handling, ect as much as nicotine. But 4 or 5 years ago when I quit smoking cold turkey, I had some terrible withdrawal. Depression, panic attacks, just generally feeling crappy for the 3 or 4 months while I quit.

Anybody had a dental implant and any smoking issues?
Anybody have anything to say about going to zero nicotine ??

Thanks for the input

JoAnna

starrynight

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
the galaxy
Hello, I had a dental implant and smoked during the whole process (for those not familiar it takes months from start to finish). I was told over and over by the dentist not to smoke and would light up before I left the parking lot. I never had any problems, and now I vape with nicotine but it's a risk. I have read/been told that the implant can fail but back then in my "smoking thinking" mind I didn't listen.

Alac

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
<snip>
I read somewhere that zero nicotine actually still has some nicotine. Is this true??
<snip>

If it is a tobacco flavor there will be a trace amount of nicotine, it happens becouse of the process of takeing the flavor from tobacco plant.
Personally, I don't think this would be enough to worry about.
Or, you could use any juice that is not a tobacco flavor.

aziffel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2010
nc
I had some oral surgery a few years back and was told to stop smoking so it would make healing easier.Three weeks after the surgery,the
doctor said"you heal so good,you must have stopped smoking",wrong,the only time I didn't light one in the parking lot was after surgery,but
I don't remember anything after"count backwards from one hundred".Of course it might not work like that for everyone.

dberkham

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2011
Surprise, AZ
I had 3 implants done in Feb., when I was still smoking. I cut back but never really stopped until I found e-cigs in July. Since I have been vaping no problems but today, one of my implants is loose. I go to the dentist tomorrow to see if its the crown or the implant. I hope to God its only the crown. I'll let you know what the verdict is tomorrow.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
First of all, I'd go to a different dentist!

Second, yes tobacco smoking can/will impede complete healing.

Next, I severely broke my ankle (left toes pointed north, right toes aimed east with both knees pointing north!) while still smoking. As of this day, my healing is complete, but my ankle/foot looks bizarre.

Lastly, I don't believe your dentist; ergo, get another opinion. When I told my dentist I quit 'bakky and was vaping, she day-um near had another baby (she's a new Mom) and gave me a huge hug.

I think you may have an ardent anti-smoking activist (AAA) dentist that is ignorant of the diff twix smoking and vaping.

BTW, I did stay at the Bryon Inn Best Western in Mt. Airy, NC, last week...
7142971-crazy-dentist.jpg

Taniger1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2011
Pasco, Washington
After oral surgery the reason we are not supposed to use straws, smoke etc is the "sucking in" motion ie the pressure created in our mouths from using a straw or drawing on an analog. Sounds weird but think about it. If your mouth has placed a "scab" into/on the wound, sucking can actually pull it out/off. Dry socket anyone?

I would ask the surgeon his reasoning. If it's the nicotine, smile and nod. Then teach yourself to draw as GENTLY on your e-cig as you can. After all, it wouldnt' be the FIRST time ANY of us have smiled at our healthcare proffesional about our smoking (now vapeing) and nodded.

I would suggest however stopping the analogs completely before surgery. The withdrawls you felt could very possibly have been the OTHER chemicals in the analogs, so you might feel nothing. Now would be a good time to find out!

Saddly many healthcare proffesionals are anti smoking and refuse to take the time to learn about e-cig's. I find when I speak with my coworkers I do NOT use the term e-cig. I use the term personal steamer or personal vaporizer, saves me a lot of hassle.
Good luck with your surgery. Take care of your body and it will take care of you.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
Nicotine restricts the blood vessels. You want a strong blood supply while you're healing. If you want the best possible outcome I would take his advice and stop using nicotine for at least a few weeks before and several weeks after each procedure. I have an implant, I've also had it the gum opened up twice around it in order to deal with infection. It's up to you, but you're spending thousands of dollars and you should probably do your damnest to make sure it heals properly. I've gone down to zero nic a few times due to necessity, and it's not as bad as quitting analogs cold turkey. Regarding the sucking action, I found that manual batteries with a drip tip on a carto or atty allow me to get a really decent vape with very little sucking.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I would think that vaping would be preferable to smoking. Your dentist is being a bit of a jerk, IMHO, and doesn't understand addiction. If he did, he would admit to you that smoking is far, far worse than vaping to your healing. Granted, no nicotine is ideal as it does constrict blood vessels, but all of the nastiness in cigarettes and their smoke is far worse than simply plain old nicotine.

So would he tell someone to go off the patch if they had quit smoking and were going in for the same procedure? Even if it meant that they may possibly relapse and start smoking again? I highly doubt it. My advice? Keep vaping and try your damnedest to stop smoking cigarettes completely before and after your procedure.

JoAnna1010

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Knoxville TN, USA
Hey Everyone. You have all made some great points.

I wish I could say my dentist was being a jerk. But......I did some research online about implants and the ALL SAY that the biggest threat to successful/permanent dental implants is smoking. This is because of the "sucking" interfearing with clotting/healing and because nicotine and all the other crap in an analog cause lack of good blood flow/oxygenation to the site of the implant.

Like someone said.....this damn implant is gonna cost me around $5000 bucks and I am neurotic as hell about loosing teeth.

It is good to know some of your had NO problems in spite of smoking.
This helps me is a big help because my plan is to go to zero nicotine and not smoke analogs at all.
BUT........if I get to crazy and have to cheat a little...........my $5000 implant is probably not gonna fall out of my head !!

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Pheisty has a very good point. Ask your dentist if it's ok to go on the patch so you can stop smoking.

If he says yes, one could assume that vaping, even with nicotine would be ok.

Very good idea.

Then point out to him how his extreme and emotional anti-smoking attitude is hindering his professionalism and ability to reason.

CGlassford

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
The Woodlands, TX
I used chantix. I had never had any kind of suicidal thoughts in my life - and I have had one hard life up until I met my Hubby 5 years ago. The doctor puts me on that poison and within 2 weeks (before my quit date even) I was feeling like I was losing my mind, treating my children horribly and then feeling so guilty for that that I actually thought they would be better off without me. THANK GOD I spoke with my Hubby about what I was feeling! He threw the pills away, had a talk with my kids, and in a few days I came out of my bedroom feeling like myself again.
I would not wish chantix on my worst enemy. I know they say "It's not for everyone" but why take the risk?

Reactions: Amber Glines
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread