Weird eGo batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
This may be confusing, so bear with me please.

A few weeks ago I bought a 650 mah eGo tank starter kit which I love. After 2 days one of the batteries quit working. It was fully charged and the button lit up when you pressed it but it wouldn't fire any of my atomizers. In the meantime I had ordered a few LR attys since the original kit came with regular ones. When the LR attys arrived, they would not work on the battery I had been using for over a week. When I got the replacement for the defective battery, it powered the LR attys. After a few days it also quit working with the LR attys. Today I got my second replacement battery and it is powering the LR attys without a problem. I wonder if it will continue to do so though. I have a 1000 mah eGo T starter kit on the way (from a different website) with LR attys already included so I hope they will work fine. I'm wondering though if the smaller batteries are not meant to run LR attys?

B4DJ1N64N

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
Indonesia
I think your atomizers center pin is not touching the battery, so it won't fire when you pushed the button. All you need is to gently pull the center pin outward with a small flat screwdriver. I had that problem too with my riva (ego clone) batteries. Or maybe your atomizers (standard one) just died. LR atties should have worked with your 650 batteries.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you screw Ego or Riva batteries (or any ecig battery) all the way onto anything (charger, atomizer, carto) the post can get depressed but it is very tricky to raise it (you can slip and pry it up too far and ruin the battery)

Also - Some clone Egos and 510-threaded mods have an extra deep collar around the threads such that real Joyetech or Ego brand attys/cartos and some others will not reach far in enough. In that case you need a shorty 510 extender from Madvapes.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
Are you talking about the center pin on the battery? I was thinking the battery wasn't connecting too. The atomizers aren't a problem since they work with the newer battery, but it's weird because the old battery still works with the original atomizers, just not with the LR ones.

Edit: The battery worked with the LR attys for a few days, but then would only work with regular ones.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Are you talking about the center pin on the battery? I was thinking the battery wasn't connecting too. The atomizers aren't a problem since they work with the newer battery, but it's weird because the old battery still works with the original atomizers, just not with the LR ones.

Edit: The battery worked with the LR attys for a few days, but then would only work with regular ones.

Yes, the center pin. If you get a tiny screwdriver try to raise the center pin very slightly- be careful though! Sometimes that helps.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
No, you said the LR attys aren't for eGo's. I was wondering what you're supposed to use them with. Just mods?

Oh I see. The LR atomizers are sold for use with the eGo batts. From reading the battery section of this forum though, the LR attys don't play well with the eGo batts and kill them. I'm hoping that is a rare occurance exageratted by the internet, since I love the LR attys and have 6 on the way!!

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
I think the eGos are 3.3v or 3.4v. The Madvapes table recommends 3.7v or more for under 2.0 ohm LR attys - Why resistance and voltage is important!. If that is true, either you have to return the LR attys or try a 3.7v Riva 510 kit for your next batt purchase, $30 at Liberty-Flights.

I thought I read someone was using LRs with eGo, but...

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Oh I see. The LR atomizers are sold for use with the eGo batts. From reading the battery section of this forum though, the LR attys don't play well with the eGo batts and kill them. I'm hoping that is a rare occurance exageratted by the internet, since I love the LR attys and have 6 on the way!!

See, I don't understand this. They sell them to use with ego batteries and then they say you can't use them with ego batteries. Same with dual coil cartos. They're sold with ego batteries and people tell you not to use them with ego batteries. Makes no sense.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
See, I don't understand this. They sell them to use with ego batteries and then they say you can't use them with ego batteries. Same with dual coil cartos. They're sold with ego batteries and people tell you not to use them with ego batteries. Makes no sense.

Yeah, they're an option you can swap in place of the regular attys that come with the kit. I'm hoping since my new kit will have 1000 mah batteries that it won't be a problem. A friend of mine is using the bigger battery and has had no problems with his LR attys.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You can use 2.2ohm LR attys with the Ego batts. The reason that failure is possible with the Ego is that it uses a MOSFET chip to drive the atty with a pulsed voltage. The LR attys pull more current from the battery. Riva batteries don't use the MOSFET to pulse the output. They are direct application of 3.7vdc whereas the pulsed voltage from the Ego produces a 3.4vdc output when measured with a meter.

If you use LR attys all the time, then you might want to look at some of the Riva ego style batts for that. Personally, I haven't had that problem.

I agree with everyone that the center post may be driven back on your attys. When you screw an atty on the battery, do it with light finger pressure and stop when it bottoms out. Don't force it or our you will force the center post up into the battery. When you look at the end with the small hole, you should be able to see that the center part with the hole and a slot across it is slightly extruded from the outer threaded part. If it's flush, you might be shorting the center to the outside ring when you screw the atty onto the battery or not making contact at all. There's an insulator between the center post and the threaded outer part. You can work it out slightly with a tiny screwdriver or a paper clip bent at a right angle on the very end.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I think the eGos are 3.3v or 3.4v. The Madvapes table recommends 3.7v or more for under 2.0 ohm LR attys - Why resistance and voltage is important!. If that is true, either you have to return the LR attys or try a 3.7v Riva 510 kit for your next batt purchase, $30 at Liberty-Flights.

I thought I read someone was using LRs with eGo, but...

Someone ought to mention that to all the people selling egos. They say the working voltage is 3.3-4.2v

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Someone ought to mention that to all the people selling egos. They say the working voltage is 3.3-4.2v

I was just about to reference DaveP's post in another thread and here he is. I'll defer to him, who obviously knows more about batts than I do. :laugh:

Edit: not all LRs are the same, some say 1.5 - 2.0 ohm, others?

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
From reading the battery section of this forum though, the LR attys don't play well with the eGo batts and kill them. I'm hoping that is a rare occurance exageratted by the internet, since I love the LR attys and have 6 on the way!!

I call BS on DCs killing eGo batts... maybe early on... but not recently. There are a few folk here that continue to drive new vapers away from DCs on eGo batts and, frankly, it really ticks me off.

Without taking a bunch of forum 'space', just do a search of my posts with 'eMDCC' in the body.

Bottom fracking line... if you have eGo batts, use the eMDCC and vape your azz off for the best vaping experience for da buck with minimal co$t/maintenance!

(OK, where did I put my 64mg nicquid...?)
looking_around.gif

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I was just about to reference DaveP's post in another thread and here he is. I'll defer to him, who obviously knows more about batts than I do. :laugh:

No, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. But it's sort of frustrating when they sell this stuff together and then you find out you shouldn't be using it. Or maybe you can, then someone else says you shouldn't.

Sort of like batteries. When I started there was a big post here about how you shouldn't recharge your battery until it's dead. Then there's another newer post that says to recharge them before they die.

The whole battery thing makes me a little crazy.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I call BS on DCs killing eGo batts... maybe early on... but not recently. There are a few folk here that continue to drive new vapers away from DCs on eGo batts and, frankly, it really ticks me off.

Without taking a bunch of forum 'space', just do a search of my posts with 'eMDCC' in the body.

Bottom fracking line... if you have eGo batts, use the eMDCC and vape your azz off for the best vaping experience for da buck with minimal co$t/maintenance!

(OK, where did I put my 64mg nicquid...?)
looking_around.gif

You're funny Iffy! 64 mg nicquid- that'll give some people nosebleeds when they read that. :laugh:

Frack? You aren't a Battlestar Galactia fan are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread