Darwin asthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
I am interested in buying a Darwin, probably in September when I get back from a trip. I've read everything about it and watched the videos, so I am aware of the technical aspects and the possible negatives. However, I have 2 questions which I haven't seen addressed.

The first is how durable is it? By this I mean, how does it operate after being dropped, say, 1 meter onto a hardwood or concrete floor? Will be break open or be destroyed?

The second is about aesthetics. It seems a bit unwieldy in the video. How do people vape it? Is it comfortable to use? How do you carry it around? How do you put it on a desk? It doesn't seem like it can stand stably on its own.

Thanks!

iball

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
The Desert
I find mine very comfortable and easy to use, no issues there.
As for durability I haven't had to test that yet but it's built SOLID - more so than any other mod I've seen yet. Other mods have little battery doors/plates, exposed buttons, fixed atty/carto plugs, and are made out of plastic or thin metal - all things that could easy break or dent. The Darwin is built like a friggin' tank. I would know - I was a tanker for 10 years.
Out here in the desert I just drop it into a pocket on my uniform and don't worry about it. The 126+F ambient temps here during the day don't heat it up that bad as long as you keep it out of the sun and I'm not seeing anywhere where dust from the storms have gotten into it.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
I actually love the shape-I have been known to drop a round pv from time to time and have yet to do so with the Darwin. It feels awkward at first (because we are used to round), but I quickly found that it has a better feel to it in the hand.
It fits better in the pocket than a round object, also-when you do so-put it upside down so any juice in the atty/carto stays in the atty/carto. Another aspect I like is that I can use it with the atomizer in a standing position for atomizers, I find this keeps more juice in the cup.
I have a drip shield on mine with a 510-510 stealth adapter to keep any over dripping off the mod-just for a precaution.
If you want to use a tank on the Darwin, the Gooseneck (mention that it will be for the Darwin-1.5 in length) will make it so you can shut it off with a tank installed. Won't be pocket friendly with a tank installed-unless you have cargo pants!

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
Thanks guys! The main reason I find the Darwin so compelling is that its not a pipe bomb mod and I don't have to carry any of the crazy batteries or their chargers, but I was a little concerned that the shape/form factor would make it hard to use or get used to.

All right, I'm getting one when I get back :). I will also look into the gooseneck. I haven't used any of the tanks yet, but I am always interested in new things :).

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Thanks guys! The main reason I find the Darwin so compelling is that its not a pipe bomb mod and I don't have to carry any of the crazy batteries or their chargers, but I was a little concerned that the shape/form factor would make it hard to use or get used to.

All right, I'm getting one when I get back :). I will also look into the gooseneck. I haven't used any of the tanks yet, but I am always interested in new things :).

When you have it in your hands it all kind of makes sense. It doesn't really look like it would be comfortable to use if you're going by the pictures, but I'd be surprised if it didn't feel perfectly natural in your hands almost right away!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
For other who might find this thread via search.

I've had a Darwin for almost two weeks now. Before that I used EGO 1000mah batteries for 6 months. I've dropped the Darwin several times even from my lifted jeep to the cement, I can't even find a scratch on it.

I was in the car today and had left the Darwin behind, since it was a quick trip I decide to use the backup EGO I keep in console. Wow the round battery felt so wierd and hard to hold. This was a complete suprise since I'd used this battery for 6 month and have had the Darwin for less than 2 weeks.

Last edited:

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Ditto all that, had a darwin for a little over 2 weeks now and love the aesthetics of it and also I can flip the arm down and put it in a pocket without any worry like I did with the Ego.

Filthy-Beast...nice ride, I just traded in my TJ for a 09 Sahara Unlimited. Sucks to be starting from scratch again but there's better options now. Thinking 4" lift, 35's and somewhere down the road a Hemi conversion. Lots of playground here in CO.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
debook & Chinner,

Congrats on the new toys! I'm so jealous of you location. I've got to drive for hours to get to any kind of good wheeling. The Beast is an 06 LJ Rubicon running 35s on 3" of lift with MetalCloak fenders. Since only a little over 12k LJ Rubicons were made I'm keeping it. The JK done right is one sweet rig to drive.

Here's what it looks like now.
1069450779_fDrJM-M.jpg

It was so nice to take the Darwin wheeling last weekend, just put in a pocket and go. It had always been a challenge with the Ego worrying about the multiple batteries, charges etc.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY

Just got my Darwin recently and still evaluating everything... also got a gooseneck for possible future tank use. I opted for the 4" version, which comes down to within 3/4" of the bottom of the Darwin with the arm in the Off position. If I had to do it over I think I'd get the 3" gooseneck. Being flexible either would work, but the 3" version should pocket better with a regular carto or atty/drip tip attached.

Don't know if that will help or hinder your decision, but good luck. :) Either way you'll enjoy the Darwin.

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
I actually love the shape-I have been known to drop a round pv from time to time and have yet to do so with the Darwin. It feels awkward at first (because we are used to round), but I quickly found that it has a better feel to it in the hand.
It fits better in the pocket than a round object, also-when you do so-put it upside down so any juice in the atty/carto stays in the atty/carto. Another aspect I like is that I can use it with the atomizer in a standing position for atomizers, I find this keeps more juice in the cup.
I have a drip shield on mine with a 510-510 stealth adapter to keep any over dripping off the mod-just for a precaution.
If you want to use a tank on the Darwin, the Gooseneck (mention that it will be for the Darwin-1.5 3 in length) will make it so you can shut it off with a tank installed. Won't be pocket friendly with a tank installed-unless you have cargo pants!

My bad-I was going by the actual tube length and not adding in the top and bottom caps.:blush: 1.5 in marked out and 3 in added

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
Beast - that's awesome, it is a beast. I am loving the JK so far, I put some 33" Hankook ATM's on it as the stocks were needing replacement when I got it as a patch until I lift it and ran some class 2/3 trails a few weeks ago. Surprised at how well it did stock, but I wouldn't go crawling until some mods are in place. It will be a long road to get it where I want, but that's half the fun right?

Vapian - Just noticed your sig, what boats were you on? In a former life I used to be known as an ET1(SS), fast attack coner for over 10 years. Recognize the picture in my avatar (think 666)? Anyway, I am able to use a VPX tank without a gooseneck with no problem as well. I only use the VPX at home and there's no battery drain when the arm is open and the D isn't being used. I just put it in a cupholder on my desk or gently lay it down to prevent it from falling. If I used a tank when out and about I'd probably look into a gooseneck, but it hasn't been a limiting factor for me yet. Really just pointing out that the Darwin enable so many options due to its versatility and ruggedness, its not hard to find something that works for each of us pretty quickly.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
Vapian - Just noticed your sig, what boats were you on? In a former life I used to be known as an ET1(SS), fast attack coner for over 10 years. Recognize the picture in my avatar (think 666)?

Sorry, I don't recognize the avatar but if "666" is preceded by "SSN" I can probably look it up. I started out RM on the 614, shifted to boomers and toured on 731, 730, 739 and 742 with some teaching, DISA and NAVSEA time in between. Retired as an ETC all the retirement papers sported RM. :)

After a bit of time with the big D, I'm thinking tanks will have to be a home/office thing. Right now mine is sporting a Stainless Mega 510 DC carto and I think that's close to as big around (10mm) as will fit and lever down without spreading the arm outward. Something GoGo-sized might work, though (11mm). I'd love it if this type of carto was available in a bottom coil 3.5 - 4.5 ohm. ...

Chinner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Wow nice truck! I'm a long way from that. I just picked mine up cheap as a toy lol.. Only has a 3" skyjacker to clear some 33's but good enough for some good old Canadian trails! Thanks for sharing!

debook & Chinner,

Congrats on the new toys! I'm so jealous of you location. I've got to drive for hours to get to any kind of good wheeling. The Beast is an 06 LJ Rubicon running 35s on 3" of lift with MetalCloak fenders. Since only a little over 12k LJ Rubicons were made I'm keeping it. The JK done right is one sweet rig to drive.

Here's what it looks like now.
1069450779_fDrJM-M.jpg

It was so nice to take the Darwin wheeling last weekend, just put in a pocket and go. It had always been a challenge with the Ego worrying about the multiple batteries, charges etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread