Exhaled Vapor - Safe for kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannja

Sep 17, 2011
San Jose
Well, I bought the Jessy M and got it today. Is the exhaled vapor safe for kids to be around? When I smoked before, I smoke outside away from my kids wearing a smoking jacket. Is the vapor just completely water or does it have nicotine? Regardless, I don't plan on vaporing near them but just want to be careful.

Sorry if this is a noob question.

IB Crow

Sep 15, 2011
DeMotte, Indiana
depends on the nicotine content i feel, and also we still arent 100% sure everything in our vapor is 100 percent safe. i do know that there were tests done on PG vapors and inhilation that proved to have 0 effect on the body in amounts up to 200x what a human would absorb, but there are still a few other additives in these things that nobody is 100 percent sure on the safety of so
keeping it away from kids is a good idea, even a lil bit older ones. even when i vape in public places indoors i always try to keep it on the DL... blowing directly down or into the hood of a hoodie, just because there isnt solid proof these are 100 percent safe for you.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I would love some solid information on this too.

Apparently it's too difficult to measure emissions from vaped 6 ingredient eliquid.
All the big boys say is they don't know what is in the ecigs; then they push for ban instead of research.

Give them a 4000 ingredient nasty stick and they can whip up the ingredient list, no problem.

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Interesting story at VapeFest today about nic being absorbed second-hand. A guy that's been vaping aprox 1 1/2 yrs vapes in his home near his wife. They work from home so it's a significant amount. He had always smoked outdoors only. When the season started to change from Winter to Soring they weren't using heat or A/C. His wife noticed the smell of vapor lingering in the house with no air moving. She has never smoked/vaped. The husband was concerned about exposing her to nic. They went and had their blood tested. He had nic in his system, she had none.

This doesn't prove anything with one situation but it reassured me that my hubby (never smoked/vaped) is likely not getting nic (or any measurable amount) from my indoor vaping near him. It was a cool story from a wonderful couple. Vaping changed his life and the life of their 29 y/o son, both tobacco-free and happily vaping.

Edit: This couple were not vendors. They're vaping enthusiasts like many of us on ECF.

Last edited by a moderator:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
There are studies on what is exhaled from using ecigs the best known is the one from New Zealand by Dr. Laugeson et al It states on page # 20
5. Safety of Ruyan® e-cigarette ‘smoke’ for bystanders.

Method. Analysis of published data on nicotine absorption, and informal comments of
bystanders, and observation of e-cigarette smoking indoors.
Results. Cigarette smoke is a mixture of sidestream smoke and exhaled mainstream
smoke. In constrast, the e-cigarette generates no sidestream smoke from its (artificially
lit) tip. Any exhaled PG mist visibly dissipates to vapor within seconds. Non-smoking
bystanders do not find the mist unpleasant. The mist is odorless, and those close by
quickly realize it does not have the odor of smoke or the irritating quality of tobacco
cigarette smoke.
Comments. Inhaled nicotine in cigarette smoke is over 98% absorbed 6, and so the
exhaled mist of the e-cigarette is composed of propylene glycol, and probably contains
almost no nicotine; and no CO. (see Figure 3.5) Lacking any active ingredient or any
gaseous products of combustion, the PG mist or ‘smoke’ is not harmful to bystanders.
The ‘smoke’ or mist is not tobacco smoke, and not from combustion – no flame is lit –
and is not defined as environmental tobacco smoke. E-cigarette “smoking” would be
permitted under New Zealand’s Smoke-free Environments Act 1990.32

Here is the link to the complete study.
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport21-Oct-08.pdf
Mindful that this is only a single study I will reiterate what I said before "I believe that most of your vapor is absorbed by the lung tissue and poses no health risks to anyone's children or animals". You are of course free to make your own conclusions!
C.B.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree that most of the nic is absorbed. Most is absorbed in the tissues of the mouth and nasal passages (if you exhale through your nose). There can be a certain amount of vapor that escapes if you do primer puffs, I suppose, and I wouldn't expect 98% to be absorbed unless you exhale slowly.

It's certainly a better environment for non-smokers than the side stream smoke from a cigarette. It's a shame that the FDA still publishes the first tests and hasn't done more comprehensive testing since then.

CASAA.org Ecig lab reports

sweetmeat

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
Canada
I don't know for sure but I would probably keep it away from the kids just to be safe. I don't find it as odorless as people claim it to be. My boyfriend is a non-smoker and he can definitely smell it in the air when I've been vaping, if I leave the room and come back in I can smell it too, but it's not at all nasty or objectionable like cigs, more of a faint perfume

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I don't know for sure but I would probably keep it away from the kids just to be safe. I don't find it as odorless as people claim it to be. My boyfriend is a non-smoker and he can definitely smell it in the air when I've been vaping, if I leave the room and come back in I can smell it too, but it's not at all nasty or objectionable like cigs, more of a faint perfume

Flavorless eliquid vapor is odorless as far as I can tell.

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
I don't worry about it...but (thank God) I don't have any rugrats in the home anymore. Even if I did, though...I would still vape in the same room. My wife doesn't vape or smoke, and I vape with her right next to me. She rather enjoys the minimal scent.

Now, what you do is your decision. I don't think anyone is gonna rip on you for NOT vaping with them in close proximity. Do what you feel you need to do...by all means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread