What is the Best Way to Store E-Liquids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
I have heard "put in fridge!" to "don't put in fridge!" or "try to store in a cool, dark dry place.". Which I do believe, so that being said I would like a few more opinions from those forum members in the know. :confused:

I'm down here in Florida and its very hard to find a cool, dark dry place with a constant cool temperature. Anyone who lives or visits here knows this, so can you help this southern boy out? ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
Ask Sun about keeping liquid in the frig! Sun lost hundreds of dollars worth of juice keeping it in a regular frig. It went rancid after 3 months! Could even see that it was bad, it got all cloudy, if I remember the details correctly. I am in AZ so know what you are talking about. Leaving it out at room temp is not an option. I have found a compromise that seems to be working. I keep mine in a wine frig set at 60 degrees. The little frig actually shorted out, so I now put a fresh ice pack (gel block) in it every night which seems to keep it at the 60 degree temp. I also put my juice in sealed glass canning jars which helps keep any air out. I have juice that is 6+ months old (over Sun's 3 month time frame) and is still just fine, though I didn't start using the wine frig until it started to get hot here. Good luck, think this is still a very open question.

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
Ask Sun about keeping liquid in the frig! Sun lost hundreds of dollars worth of juice keeping it in a regular frig. It went rancid after 3 months! Could even see that it was bad, it got all cloudy, if I remember the details correctly.... Good luck, think this is still a very open question.

Seems I'll need it!
I think that was the "don't put in the fridge!" story I heard by a friend of a friend that read Sun's post. :(

CaSHMeRe's assessment of the situation:

"us southern boys need to stick together !!!

my juice stays hidden under my mattress, along with a shotgun, shotgun shells, and a bass pro fishin hat
;-)"

I'll have to count as a "no way suh", but I like the way he thinks! ;)

So, so far we have 3 yays and 2 nays when it comes to fridge storage, (at least under 60 degrees), that is.

Thank you all for your input! :)

Any and all members that may also have experienced storage dilemmas, good or bad feel free to chime in on this! Thanks! :)

I have been keeping mine in a nice box and had no problems. Then I read this thread and decided maybe I should keep them in the fridge. The next day the juice was thick (not like frozen) just thinker in substance almost gooey. Taking them back out for a few hours made them liquid smooth again.

So I guess I will leave mine out and hope they last. I like the idea of juts putting the extras that maybe I don't use that often in the fridge and use later.

Megumi

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Ask Sun about keeping liquid in the frig! Sun lost hundreds of dollars worth of juice keeping it in a regular frig. It went rancid after 3 months! Could even see that it was bad, it got all cloudy, if I remember the details correctly. I am in AZ so know what you are talking about. Leaving it out at room temp is not an option. I have found a compromise that seems to be working. I keep mine in a wine frig set at 60 degrees. The little frig actually shorted out, so I now put a fresh ice pack (gel block) in it every night which seems to keep it at the 60 degree temp. I also put my juice in sealed glass canning jars which helps keep any air out. I have juice that is 6+ months old (over Sun's 3 month time frame) and is still just fine, though I didn't start using the wine frig until it started to get hot here. Good luck, think this is still a very open question.

That is correct, Emsmom, I did lose hundereds of dollars by putting it in the refig. It went rancid after 3 months. The e-liquid was from Totally Wicked, Puresmoker, E-smokeytreats, and JC. The reason why I lost it was that the tempeture was to cold in the refig at 40 degrees and the refrig is not a dry envoirment with the door opening and closing.

I have e-lquid that I have stored in my closet that is almost a year old and is still as good as when I got it. The key is Cool, Dark, and Dry place. I do not post this to tell people anything else put my experience. If you feel for some reason that the refig is the place for your e-liquid---then go for it. I can only tell you is my first hand experience with loosing e-liquid.

Sun

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
That is correct, Emsmom, I did lose hundereds of dollars by putting it in the refig. It went rancid after 3 months. The e-liquid was from Totally Wicked, Puresmoker, E-smokeytreats, and JC. The reason why I lost it was that the tempeture was to cold in the refig at 40 degrees and the refrig is not a dry envoirment with the door opening and closing.

I have e-lquid that I have stored in my closet that is almost a year old and is still as good as when I got it. The key is Cool, Dark, and Dry place. I do not post this to tell people anything else put my experience. If you feel for some reason that the refig is the place for your e-liquid---then go for it. I can only tell you is my first hand experience with loosing e-liquid.

Sun

Thank you for the info, input and what you personally experienced Sun. :(

I guess I need to run the AC a lot more in these warmer months we have ahead of us. (My closet gets a lot warmer otherwise.)

I will use a lockable box then for storage, as I have grand children and will place in a dark place of my closet. :)

Okay, perhaps another scenario that warrants testing... If I set the refrig temp... higher say above 45 degrees, stored all my liquids in the lockable box (creating a dry, dark, sealed environment), within the refrig,... hmm...

I'll test a 30ml bottle of liquid the above way and check at 3, 6, 9 & 12 month increments, at a new temperature and publish my findings after each check. :)

I have a lot of Hilton 36mg (Personal Favorite!), so I'll use that for the test.
Nicotine strength or degradation will probably be subjective (as I have no way to test accurately besides taste & hit ), but flavor will be the main concern. I do know what a good Hilton should taste like vaping it daily. I will use a Good Prophets liquid in a 30ml bottle.

*I am also going to look into long term freezer storage and if it is even remotely possible, as I know many of us are hoarding 48mg unflavored juice for a distant uncertain future.

If you have anything to add, please feel free to do so. I always could use more input. :)

Thanks! :)

nephilim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
So-Cal
as far as I go I keep the small bottles of 15ml and smaller in my humidifier box with no water it is always at a constant temp and as long as you dont add water to the humidifier it keeps it cool dry and dark, not to mention it keeps it at arms reach when i need it. Not a bad way to use an extra cigar box i think...

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
Your food will spoil and your beer won't be very cold.;)

Very true, but I will suffer these small sacrifices in the name of SCIENCE! :evil:

(Actually I'm blessed with three different houses and three different refrigerators offering me a unique perspective for this test. Evil sometimes ain't I? Thank you for your concerns though.) ;)

Stehle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2009
Sunny Florida! U.S.A.
You could always use one of those countertop, dorm style fridges, or a wine fridge, or even the new electric coolers, set to the correct temp, and use it for just your eliquids. :rolleyes:

Great idea! :) I have an old one of those mini-fridges in our shop, so I'll add that to the mix at 60 degrees are highest temp so far. (Can't wait to see electric bills!) ;)

OK I live in the deep South and the fridge is the ONLY cool dry place in town. Any suggections for Max temp?

Okay, so far I have 2 conventional refrigerators set at 45 & 50 degrees, but will be adding the mini-fridge as per jen28f's suggestion. No fact based maximum temperatures as of yet.

What about a cigar box that has a humidor in it? Would that work?

I have one of those too! (Someone must be watching me!) I think the constant temp might be good, but hows the dry factor when we say, "humid or"?

I still have the vast multitude of bottles in the closet as per Sun's suggestion only the test bottles of juice (*Good Prophets - Hilton 36mg) are exposed to the different range of refrig temps.

I do my first taste test in a few weeks and keep y'all that are interested posted! :)

Stonerman33

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I managed to pick up a dozen or so 'defective' wine refrigerators off of craigslist for a ridiculously good price. $10 in parts and I have them all up and running. Going to give most of them away as gifts, but I did keep one for my ejuice. Not as cold as a true refridgerator, I think it'll work nicely. Keep the temp set between 55 and 60 and so far, so good. Also super cheap to run because it doesn't have a compresser to cool it, gotta love peltier cooling. About 8 cents a day to run it. Only thing I have noticed is that my VG based stuff does get a bit too thick for my tastes, but sticking it in my pocket for 10 minutes or so brings it back to a good, useable consistancy. And I can have a nice bottle of Reisling chilled properly to enjoy...

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread