Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
mods, if this belongs somewhere else, you have the powers to put it there. Be my guest.

I have enjoyed using my carto tanks. I have several. My biggest problem has been getting the holes cut/punched just right. Dremel-cutting is time consuming and opens the possibility of burning the filler of the carto. Punching seems easiest, but I, personally have ruined a few DC cartos by punchin my holes too big or deep, thus causing the dreaded leakage into the connector. I have been brainstorming and wanted a jig to punch the holes uniformly every time I have to swap a carto in the tank. Here's what I came up with:

IMG_20110925_162451.jpg

It is rough and rudimentary, but works flawlessly. Here's a breakdown of how I slapped this baby together in about 10 minutes after all the supplies and tools were organized...

Supplies:
1- piece of wood (2"x2"x2") * A child's wooden block may work fine for this. I'd suggest letter "V" for vapor or "C" for carto, but pick whatever you like. I used a scrap peice of wood off a construction site.
1- a single screw *I used a drywall-type screw, as it had a fine piont on the end
1- carto condom
2- drops of superglue

Tools needed:

Handsaw for wood or tablesaw * I used a handsaw/miterbox
Drill w/ 3/8 bit and a pilot bit for the screw
Screwdriver for screw
Hacksaw or Dremel with metal cut-off wheel

Steps:

1) Drill a hole across the grain in the middle of your piece of wood with the 3/8" drillbit, as a DC carto is roughly 3/8 diameter. This will be your cartos "bed"
2) Cut the wood, so that you split the hole down the middle using your saw.
3) Drill a pilot hole from the middle of your carto's "bed" through to the outside of one half of your jig.
4) Using your screwdriver, install the screw from outside until 1/8" of the tip is now poking up, out of your carto's "bed"
5) Cut the head of the remaining screw and head off the outside of your jig block. You will hammer here. *this is optional as you could technically hit the screw head.
6) Install the carto condom with the open end closest to the tip of the screw by using a couple drops of superglue.
7) mark the point on either side of the screw point, so you will be able to center your carto where you want the hole(s)

The condom will hold the carto stationary in the carto's bed. Cover the carto with the other half of the block, so that it is encased in the wood. Flip it over and give the outside a couple of taps with whatever you like. I was actually able to puch the carto by squeezing the two sides between my hands. It needed a tap to completely open the hole tho.

Sorry the pic isn't the greatest, but I actually had other stuff to do. The jig looks like crap. I know. Does it matter? No. Does it work? Yes. All carto holes from this point, forward shall be uniform and symmetrical. So it is written, so shall it be done! At least for me it will be!

*Please don't blow up my PMs asking me to make you one, because, although it only takes me 10mins to make one, I'd still have to package it, ship it (which means going to the post office [which I hate]), so I'd charge a ....-load for something you can make in 10 minutes, yourself. Good luck!

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
1- piece of wood (2"x2"x2") * A child's wooden block may work fine for this. I'd suggest letter "V" for vapor or "C" for carto, but pick whatever you like. I used a scrap peice of wood off a construction site.

Great. Now that's stuck in my head.

cookie-monster.jpg

C is for carto, that's good enough for me
Carto, carto, carto starts with C!

*ahem*

Anyway, good idea and easy to do, too.

Cassie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Missouri, United States
Now that is Ingenuity, I usually use the cutter wheel dremel method myself as it only takes me a couple seconds to cut it. This however looks like a really cool idea for those that prefer the holes to the cut marks.

Great Job!
Nate aka Darth Vapor
Thanks for the idea! I got a tank at Vapefest and didn't have a way to cut holes in my cartos LOL Dremel worked like a charm!

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Mods, if this belongs somewhere else, you have the powers to put it there. Be my guest.

I have enjoyed using my carto tanks. I have several. My biggest problem has been getting the holes cut/punched just right. Dremel-cutting is time consuming and opens the possibility of burning the filler of the carto. Punching seems easiest, but I, personally have ruined a few DC cartos by punchin my holes too big or deep, thus causing the dreaded leakage into the connector. I have been brainstorming and wanted a jig to punch the holes uniformly every time I have to swap a carto in the tank. Here's what I came up with:

IMG_20110925_162451.jpg

It is rough and rudimentary, but works flawlessly. Here's a breakdown of how I slapped this baby together in about 10 minutes after all the supplies and tools were organized...

Supplies:
1- a single screw *I used a drywall-type screw, as it had a fine piont on the end
1- carto condom
2- drops of superglue

Tools needed:

Handsaw for wood or tablesaw * I used a handsaw/miterbox
Drill w/ 3/8 bit and a pilot bit for the screw
Screwdriver for screw
Hacksaw or Dremel with metal cut-off wheel

Steps:

1) Drill a hole across the grain in the middle of your piece of wood with the 3/8" drillbit, as a DC carto is roughly 3/8 diameter. This will be your cartos "bed"
2) Cut the wood, so that you split the hole down the middle using your saw.
3) Drill a pilot hole from the middle of your carto's "bed" through to the outside of one half of your jig.
4) Using your screwdriver, install the screw from outside until 1/8" of the tip is now poking up, out of your carto's "bed"
5) Cut the head of the remaining screw and head off the outside of your jig block. You will hammer here. *this is optional as you could technically hit the screw head.
6) Install the carto condom with the open end closest to the tip of the screw by using a couple drops of superglue.
7) mark the point on either side of the screw point, so you will be able to center your carto where you want the hole(s)

The condom will hold the carto stationary in the carto's bed. Cover the carto with the other half of the block, so that it is encased in the wood. Flip it over and give the outside a couple of taps with whatever you like. I was actually able to puch the carto by squeezing the two sides between my hands. It needed a tap to completely open the hole tho.

Sorry the pic isn't the greatest, but I actually had other stuff to do. The jig looks like crap. I know. Does it matter? No. Does it work? Yes. All carto holes from this point, forward shall be uniform and symmetrical. So it is written, so shall it be done! At least for me it will be!

*Please don't blow up my PMs asking me to make you one, because, although it only takes me 10mins to make one, I'd still have to package it, ship it (which means going to the post office [which I hate]), so I'd charge a ....-load for something you can make in 10 minutes, yourself. Good luck!

Stick a small slot-headed jewelers screwdriver in your fill hole and give it a quick twist.

HTH,
Dave

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Stick a small slot-headed jewelers screwdriver in your fill hole and give it a quick twist.

HTH,
Dave

These insults today sure are getting specific. In my day we just said "sit on it 'n rotate!" :D

(Hey, I see a setup, I have to take a swing at it. I know, I know. It's a sickness.)

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the idea! I got a tank at Vapefest and didn't have a way to cut holes in my cartos LOL Dremel worked like a charm!

My Pleasure Cassie, yeah it is very fast indeed for me. There is a new tool on the block for punching holes into a carto as well for those who do not like dremeling them.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/226475-thank-me-later.html

Awesome Idea that I might even give a try to :D

Hope this helps Y'all out too :D
Nate aka Darth Vapor

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
It's much easier taking a piece of 2x4 or any block of wood and just drilling a hole that fits your carto nice and snug, then drill a smaller hole down through the top into the first hole. Slip your carto in and punch it. No need for 2 pieces and you can drill more then one pair of punch holes for different sized cartos as well if you like. just how I've been doing mine for the last year or so, it works perfect every time because your carto can never move and this jig will give you the exact same hole every time.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
It's much easier taking a piece of 2x4 or any block of wood and just drilling a hole that fits your carto nice and snug, then drill a smaller hole down through the top into the first hole. Slip your carto in and punch it. No need for 2 pieces and you can drill more then one pair of punch holes for different sized cartos as well if you like..
Yes that also should work fine. But if I'm understanding the OP's design, the screw that is threaded in the top half, can be perfectly adjusted for depth and/or a larger/smaller screw can be used to establish the size you need. It does appear that after a little fiddling ever carto should now be Identical.

Borrowing this aspect of his design with a one piece, similar results could be obtained by screwing a screw (that will be used as a punch) though a small piece of wood that could be used as an adjustable stop.

Punching an identical hole, quickly, every time is the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread