Hello, Swollen lip on first e-cig experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevLed

Oct 15, 2011
TN
Hello all,

New here and new to E-cigs. I got one that was fairly cheap at a truck stop this week, used it quite a bit that day and as the evening went on my lip started swelling up. It got pretty bad on one side of my upper lip. I think I might have bitten my lip or something, maybe had a small irritation where it started. Anyone ever heard of a reaction like this?

The swelling was down the next day and I started using the e-cig again. I got a different one - a little more expensive, and looks to be better quality. No problems so far and I really like it! Haven't been smoking so thats good! I think I'm really going to like this. I ordered a JOYE 510-T Black Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit and some oil. I think that will be more economic.

Anyway - glad to find this forum and appreciate any feedback or advice you care to give a newbie. Thanks!

Reactions: Soraya

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Hi and welcome to the ecf. I don't know about the swollen lip but I'm glad to hear you're recovering and still working on switching. Congratulations on every ciggy avoided and I think you'll like the 510. That was my first good kit and the one that did it for me. Drink lots of water, browse the forum, and fire away on any questions you might have.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Welcome Rev...first let correct something...the juice is not "oil" it is a water soluble compound, made up of propylene glycol and or vegetable glycerin with nicotine and flavoring...the swelling is likely caused by nicotine irritation that was compounded by a nick or cut of the lip. The 510T is a good (but weak) starter kit and will do you fine....keep in mind, vaping(as we call it) is SEVERELY DEHYDRATING...so, you need to significantly increase your water intake to avoid other "new vapor" symptoms...............
madjack:2cool:

alexp162002

Oct 10, 2011
Arlington, TX USA
Welcome Rev...first let correct something...the juice is not "oil" it is a water soluble compound, made up of propylene glycol and or vegetable glycerin with nicotine and flavoring...the swelling is likely caused by nicotine irritation that was compounded by a nick or cut of the lip. The 510T is a good (but weak) starter kit and will do you fine....keep in mind, vaping(as we call it) is SEVERELY DEHYDRATING...so, you need to significantly increase your water intake to avoid other "new vapor" symptoms...............
madjack:2cool:

I guess I haven't read enough yet (even though I have researched these quite a bit recently) to find that they dehydrate you. This is the first I have heard of it, but I must say that looking back at the last two weeks (pretty new to it all) I have been really thirsty lately. lol Thanks for the info.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yes I found out about dehydration the hard way and it was something I had missed in my research. After hydrating I've noticed vaping is a far better experience IMHO. As for your lip problem I was using the same driptip and getting slight irritation on my lip. I looked closely at the driptip and it had some hardened residue on it. Boiled it and no more lip irritation. If you boil the driptip make absolute sure it is metal and not plastic. Boiling water will damage the plastic.

Happy Vaping, Vapoor.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
The main thing is nicotine is a skin irritant. Also remember if you get eliquid on your hands, just wiping your hands on a tissue etc may not be enough. If you then touch your face or rub your eyes you can get dry irritated patches. So always wash your hands if you can. And vaping medium or high nic in 100% PG liquid has the potential to irritate everything from your tongue to your lungs. Having a bit of VG in the base helps cut down irritation which leaving plenty of hit and flavor.

Another thing is heat - when you use a cartomizer where the coil is closer to the mouth end (or any other method where hot liquid can sputter), occasionally a very hot little drop of liquid can sputter out and make it through the mouth-hole and cause a little blister on your lip or tongue. I am pretty good at cleaning up my cartos after I fill them or add a lot of juice, including blowing out the central air channel and touching soft tissue to the top of the stuffing immediately after.

RevLed

Oct 15, 2011
TN
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. My lip is all better - but I am surely feeling the dehydration. I'm drinking lots of water but continually have dry mouth. I got my 510-T in the mail yesterday and it is such an improvement over the ones I had bought at a smoke shop, and a truck stop. I love the tank system and I ordered Very Apple flavor from the same company and its really nice.

It sure seems to me like vaping gives all the good parts of smoking and none of the bad. And I think drinking a lot more water is probably a good healthy thing to do as well, may even help me lose some weight. Overall I think I'm a convert! :p

I look forward to learning more as time goes on.

Thanks again everyone!

diaboliko

Moved On
Nov 24, 2010
italy
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: spamming
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread