E-Cigs are a "tobacco product", but what happens when they are NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveesl

Sep 26, 2011
Florida
When the FDA lost its Court battle it was allowed to put e-cigs under the category of tobacco products. So of course that means that they will find some way to get all kinds of weird regulations to control them. But here is the interesting thing, this entire ruling is based on the idea that nicotine comes from tobacco, which of course it does. But it doesn't have to.

Eggplants contain the second highest level of nicotine ng/g, following that is spinach, green tomatoes and numerous other common vegetables, tubers and fruits, including the lowly potato.

While it would take far more pounds of eggplant to produce the same amount of nicotine as tobacco, it isn't a totally insane number and organics such as spinach and tomatoes can also be used. Thus, if the nicotine portion of the liquid is not derived from tobacco, then the FDA and therefore the bans can no longer hold up. What, is the government going to try to ban/control everything that contains nicotine? Good luck on that one, because then you are regulating simple, common food products, and not the "evil" tobacco plant.

I would love to see a company come out with a nicotine juice that is not created from tobacco. The FDA, under its present guidelines and regulatory powers could not do anything. The existing bans would be meaningless. And finally, it would be interesting to find out if one can distinguish nicotine derived from an eggplant with nicotine derived from the "horrible, devil weed-tobacco".

dave

I would love to see a company come out with a nicotine juice that is not created from tobacco. The FDA, under its present guidelines and regulatory powers could not do anything. The existing bans would be meaningless. And finally, it would be interesting to find out if one can distinguish nicotine derived from an eggplant with nicotine derived from the "horrible, devil weed-tobacco".

If you want an e-cig that is not a tobacco product, there's no need to go through all that trouble--just use 0-nic! (if you need it, get your nicotine elsewhere) While that seems a bit facetious, that's exactly what all our Canadian friends have to do. Its inconvenient and stupid that they have to bother with the technicalities, but Canada is a decent example of what happens when the government "bans" e-cigs: Its an inconvenience and fewer people quit smoking by switching to e-cigs than might if the government was actually interested in reducing the deaths and diseases caused by smoking...but it doesn't stop the spread of information about tobacco harm reduction, it just slows it a bit.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
While it would take far more pounds of eggplant to produce the same amount of nicotine as tobacco, it isn't a totally insane number and organics such as spinach and tomatoes can also be used. Thus, if the nicotine portion of the liquid is not derived from tobacco, then the FDA and therefore the bans can no longer hold up. What, is the government going to try to ban/control everything that contains nicotine? Good luck on that one, because then you are regulating simple, common food products, and not the "evil" tobacco plant.

dave

This from Wikipedia

On average, 20 lbs (9 kg) of eggplant contains about the same amount of nicotine as a cigarette.

It would take an insane amount to eggplants to extract the nicotine needed. This subject seems to come up quite often. A few moments on google is all it takes.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
From my understanding, the FDA regulates nicotine regardless of the source. That's why it could ban nicotine water and hand lotion in the past - before the passing of the FSTPCA actually gave it regulatory control over tobacco products. It had nothing to do with where the nicotine came from, just that the FDA considers all nicotine not delivered through tobacco use a drug that may be used only for smoking cessation - when approved as a smoking cessation treatment by the FDA and only after extensive and expensive drug trials. This is what the FDA tried to claim e-cigarettes are - unapproved drug delivery devices. So, getting the nicotine from other plants wouldn't make any difference.

As far as the FDA is concerned, nicotine, regardless of the source, is one of two things - tobacco or drug treatment requiring FDA approval.

Vap0rJay

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Maryland
And in each case, considered evil.

And they better get paid either way $
Gotcha coming, going, and every in between $

But rest assured citizen, your tax dollars are going to be well spent on expensive programs that don’t do anything but bring in MORE royalties for even MORE money to spend frugally.

ChodaBoy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2011
Florida
The government, FDA or otherwise, has to have their hands in everything. Especially anything that would take money from one of their biggest contributors. Even if we were talking about electric cars you could find legislation that slowed it down or made it more expensive to make happen. I just wish we had more politicians that were constitutionist, and less like they money grubbers we have now. Maybe i should have posted this comment in political lmao

Doc.js

Oct 29, 2011
Haywad
Regarless of the logic the government and government agencies use to tax or ban personal vaporizers, we are going to have to get off of our collective butts and educate these people. They are not pv users and only know what they are told about them. It is up to us to, not raise hell about it, but educate them as to the true posative aspects, and false second-hand dangers. Be vocal! Writing letters is the most respected method of communicating with the lawmakers. Do us all a favor and take the initiative and time to write your representatives.

JD4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Maryland
From my understanding, the FDA regulates nicotine regardless of the source. That's why it could ban nicotine water and hand lotion in the past - before the passing of the FSTPCA actually gave it regulatory control over tobacco products. It had nothing to do with where the nicotine came from, just that the FDA considers all nicotine not delivered through tobacco use a drug that may be used only for smoking cessation - when approved as a smoking cessation treatment by the FDA and only after extensive and expensive drug trials. This is what the FDA tried to claim e-cigarettes are - unapproved drug delivery devices. So, getting the nicotine from other plants wouldn't make any difference.

As far as the FDA is concerned, nicotine, regardless of the source, is one of two things - tobacco or drug treatment requiring FDA approval.

Thanks for this post .. I guess. :(
This clears up what has been eating away at me ever since I discovered PVs. My viewpoint was the same as the OP's, now only to find out that the repressive box we're in is as big as I had feared. <sigh>

But thanks for your direct and to the point info. Now at least I won't waste too much time barking up the not-tobacco angle with legislators but instead devote my energy to harm reduction, no proven 'cost to society', and to adult personal freedoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread