Flux wicking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
Being still somewhat new to the Flux scene (never tried regular or "old" CE2s), sometimes unexpected things happen.

For instance. I have a XL Flux that kept chugging happily along for about a week or so. I wasn't using it all the time, tho. Filled it once, no problem. On the second fill is just stopped wicking. I can't get a normal draw even when I upend it every time - I get some vapor, but still that dry icky taste. :blink:

It's not really dirty or anything, the juice hasn't changed, the wicks are still attached. I fluffed and cut bigger holes before I started using it (just in case).

So what could be causing this? Can I fix it? Should I try cleaning it even if it doesn't look dirty?

Thanks and cheers.

By the way you should never mess around w/ modding them, unless you have a issue with the wicking. That may be your issue.

Why not? Every one of my CE2's gets modded before the first fill.

Briar, maybe on the second fill the rubber seal got pushed down on the wicking too far. Try pulling it up a little, or out completely and see if that helps.

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Why not? Every one of my CE2's gets modded before the first fill.

Briar, maybe on the second fill the rubber seal got pushed down on the wicking too far. Try pulling it up a little, or out completely and see if that helps.

This

It depends on what your liquid is. 100% PG can wick without a problem in these, but above 30% VG and the wick's too choked off. I vape 50/50; that said I have to ensure that my wicks aren't being choked.

My personal method is to slice them in half longways with a razor blade, though you need to be careful not to cut yourself (Not into two half circles, but into two full circles). That keeps from leaking but gives me more than enough room to wick happily. Only downside is I'll flood if I leave them on their side too long, but alas...

My old method was to snip an upside down V into each of the n shaped openings. This worked fine, but with the smoky ones I was having problems lining them back up since I can't see through well enough, so I just said f it and use my current method.

Another method is to just use two of the O-Rings you remove to refill, and skip the fill cup all together. This will lead to a LOT of flooding, though. If you have a VV device it's not a big deal because you can crank up the voltage to burn off the excess liquid without having to unscrew it and blow into a paper towel.

Others use other methods, too, but these are the ones I've used and what works for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
I normally mod all my Fluxes because I have a chronic problem with wicking... I know most people don't, but either I am tremendously unlucky, or - I just don't know. I take off all the plugs, lift up the wicks a bit, then put the thin ring back on upside down, or cut the slots into the fat plug.

I took all the plugs off the one I was talking about originally, it didn't help. I tossed it, finally...

In general, I came to the conclusion that part of my problem is the juice I use. I am partial to darker, sweeter juices. A couple of fruit ones I used wicked fine, but not my usual ones.

My short Fluxes mostly work fine, but the XL ones have to be vaped practically upside down once I am down to half-fill. It's a real pain. I don't mind turning upside down once in a while, but every time? (One of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Sapphire - wick on the bottom and all that)

What i am wondering now is if it would help to loosen up the wicks all the way down. Just take the Flux apart before using it and pull each wick apart just a bit. Would that help wicking or harm it? I am not sure... What do you think?

Cheers.

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
My short Fluxes mostly work fine, but the XL ones have to be vaped practically upside down once I am down to half-fill. It's a real pain. I don't mind turning upside down once in a while, but every time? (One of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Sapphire - wick on the bottom and all that)

I've noticed the same thing. I use mostly 70/30 juices and have no problems with wicking in short Fluxos. In the XL, they vape like a champ until the juice gets half way down and then they gradually diminish in performance unless I turn them upside down or fill them up. Could it have something to do with the length the juice has to travel to reach the coil?
I've learned to fill them up when they get half full but it kind of defeats the purpose of having XL's.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, I sorta unraveled the wicks halfway down. Didn't make any difference. Vaped like a champ half-way, like a wimp for another quarter, and almost not at all from then on. This was a brand-new carto. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to live with it. :)

Do you tilt the battery end up when you take a hit?

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Do you tilt the battery end up when you take a hit?

Yeah, I do. Like I mentioned before, i wouldn't have a problem with doing it, if it was, say, every two or three hits. But I have to do it every single time, and even then it doesn't always work. What's worse is that the new one I was experimenting on and that wicked great for the first half of the first fill, is doing horribly on the first half of the second fill.

So, basically, with this kind of juice, I can only use an XL one for half a fill without cleaning it. Reason I mention cleaning is because the only logical conclusion I can come to here is that it is the gunked up wick at the edge of the cup that is preventing it from wicking. At first it's clean, so it wicks. On the second fill it's gunked up so it doesn't.

The other factor, of course, is the length of the wick - the longer it is, the less efficient it is, or so it seems.

Not only does this defeat the purpose of the XL, but I really don't want to clean them every time I use them. I don't have the time for that... I hope the Sapphires work better for darker juices, and I'll have to save the XL Fluxes for the light ones.

It's enough to make me change my taste in juices. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The other factor, of course, is the length of the wick - the longer it is, the less efficient it is, or so it seems.

This is where the tilting comes in.

If you tlt while you hit, it doesn't matter if the wick is an 1/8" long or two Feet long. E-Liquid is at the cup slots.

It could be your e-Liquid. I just haven't heard of too many e-Liquids that "gunk" up a coil/wick so quickly.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
cinnamon will do it quick, dark juice wouldn't wick for me at all, so its probably the dark juice.

This is where the tilting comes in.

If you tlt while you hit, it doesn't matter if the wick is an 1/8" long or two Feet long. E-Liquid is at the cup slots.

It could be your e-Liquid. I just haven't heard of too many e-Liquids that "gunk" up a coil/wick so quickly.

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Have you used the Visions yet Zoid? I have some coming, and I was wondering about the 'tilt factor' since the wicks aren't as restrained...

I mean, gravity still works the same regardless, so I assume that these will need to be tilted as well... And the shorter wicks (due to the wider tube) should also make the wicking a little more 'automatic' with the Visions... I'll find out whenever that PO(S) decides to continue shipping my package...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Have you used the Visions yet Zoid? I have some coming, and I was wondering about the 'tilt factor' since the wicks aren't as restrained...

I mean, gravity still works the same regardless, so I assume that these will need to be tilted as well... And the shorter wicks (due to the wider tube) should also make the wicking a little more 'automatic' with the Visions... I'll find out whenever that PO(S) decides to continue shipping my package...

I have used them and I Hate them!

I hate them because the work so well and hold more e-Liquid than the 125 or so CE2's I stocked up on when it looked like Bad was going to drop RS/MiT.

I think what you will find is that the distance from the Outer Edge of the Cup to the Inner Wall of the Tube plays a Huge role in how well a CE2 Style carto performs. When this distance is Increased, performance Increases.

monarch79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
Portland, Oregon
That's what I wanted to hear!

Luckily, I only have 3 boxes of Fluxos I might be growing out of when the Visions get here...

When I found the new Fluxos, I had given up on clearomizers and gone back to good ol Boge LR polyfill cartos... I was a big clearo fan, but hated the crack tubes and syringe modding... I tried the new Fluxos and thought 'yup, that's how it should have been all along' and suddenly I had about a dozen boxes of Boges to get rid of! I feel your pain. Now I buy in smaller quantities, and run the risk of not being prepared for the ZA...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The Clearos were a Train Wreck. Period.

I can see why Bad get so ....... Everyday there was post after post from Unhappy Clearo users. And Bad had to take all the abuse for the OEM's screw up. I wasn't surprised when he Cracked and dropped RS/MiT.

When the New Tubes hit and showed to be Crack-less. And the Addition of a Battery Connector O-Ring stopped Leaking but gave the ability to Remove/Replace the tube easily, I stocked up. I didn't want RS/MiT to change something down the road causing another Unforeseen Problem.

Maybe I went a Tad overboard buying 200 CE2's. But the shipping was lower and I figured that I would be giving some away.

No sooner did they arrive from China than Bad patched things up with RS/MiT and started selling their line again. Kinda the way my Luck Always seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread