Questions and Answers About E-Cigs and Liquid concerning TSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
OK, we have some moderators here that travel extensively and have taken e-liquid and E-cigs on air travel. I am going to try to explain some do’s and don’ts for air travel and the E-cig through TSA check points.
Please understand TSA agents are not exactly up to date on their own regulations at times and this is by no means a 100% safety guide for E-cigs and Liquid. This is posted solely from our experience travelling though the TSA check point.
Jim D, RIA and I will be updating this.
OK, we get a lot of questions concerning e-liquid and having it in your carry-on. Currently there is no restriction with the TSA concerning carrying on E- Liquid or E-cigs through airport security. Now actually using it on board is regulated by individual airlines and not a topic of this post.
You are allowed 3.4 Oz in an individual bottle which equals approx 100cc of liquid, we recommend not testing the TSA’s and bringing attention to the e-liquid by pushing the limit and bringing attention to your e-liquid. Try to keep it in 10, 20 or max 30cc bottles. I routinely carry 2 X 15cc and a 3 cc bottle in my carry on.
You are allowed to carry rechargeable batteries.
I recommend disconnecting the batteries from the atomizer when you have it scanned through the check point, no need to have a accidental fire up of the atty’s during this procedure.

OK some links:

TSA Liquid carry-on rule:
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | 3-1-1 on Air Travel
TSA prohibited Items:
TSA: Prohibited Items

Now for the visuals:
This I would not recommend.
ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1892-liquid-too-large.jpg

These are 30cc bottle, just took 2 with me this week and had no problems with TSA. Updated.
ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1891-liquid-borderline.jpg

20cc you should be fine.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1888-20cc-liquid.jpg

10 and 15cc no problem.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1887-10-15-cc-liquid.jpg

3 to 5cc, I use these for dripping on board.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1886-3-5-cc-liquid.jpg

Make sure you put it in a clear 1 quart or 1 liter plastic bag.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1885-1-litre-bag.jpg

Batteries and chargers are fine, just pack with your computer, camera, I-pod accessories.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1889-battery-charger-power-pack.jpg

Please disconnect atty's from batteries, unplug pass through and for units like the JS take out the atty, actually had a poster get his JS scrutinized at the TSA check point with an atty attached.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1893-unassembled.jpg

Now for mods, please use common sense, If it can look dangerous don't carry on, I have heard posters with mods get safely on board but I will not try this, if you do just carry a padded self addressed post paid envelope so if you cannot get through the check point you can mail it back to your home.

ptjd-albums-tsa-picture1890-can-seen-threat.jpg

We will try to keep updating this stickie.

Oh this thread is not here to discuss vaping on planes or not!!!

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
These are 30cc bottle, should be OK but may be pushing.

Why would 30 cc be pushing it? Isn't that only 1 oz?

As for my Prodigy, certainly remove the atomizer and batteries, but are you saying that I should put the battery housing (i.e., the "Prodigy" itself) in my checked luggage?

Finally, what impact, if any, do you think yesterday's highly publiced FDA press release will have on any of this?

Thanks!

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Why would 30 cc be pushing it? Isn't that only 1 oz?

As for my Prodigy, certainly remove the atomizer and batteries, but are you saying that I should put the battery housing (i.e., the "Prodigy" itself) in my checked luggage?

Finally, what impact, if any, do you think yesterday's highly publiced FDA press release will have on any of this?

Thanks!

Concerning the 30cc, a few thoughts. By the way e-liquid has not been banned yet by the TSA, Just saying the larger the bottle in the 1 liter bag the more it attracts attention. 30 cc should be fine but I prefer 2X20cc and besides for most vapers unless you are going for a 3 week trip its more than enough liquid.
I have a prodigy ordered, from the pictures it should be OK it does not look home made, but I would keep a Self addressed stamped padded mailer with me just in case.
The main problem is, the TSA pretty much changes on a whim and you can't get into a pissing match with them.
Worst case scenario, I do have a few empty and clean travel size shampoo bottles.;)

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
The more I think about it, the more concerned I am about taking the Prodigy through airport security. I know very little about explosives, but doesn't the Prodigy housing look pretty much like a pipe bomb?

I wonder if it is safe even in my checked luggage? Anyone have any information and/or opinions on this?

I think I'll also post this in the Puresmoker forum.

[NOTE: If the words and phrases used here have triggered any Homeland Security cyber monitoring, please know that I am only talking about an electronic cigarette, one of the larger ones sold here. Its intended purpose (and as used by me) is merely to inhale flavored nicotine vapor. Thank you.]

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
The more I think about it, the more concerned I am about taking the Prodigy through airport security. I know very little about explosives, but doesn't the Prodigy housing look pretty much like a pipe bomb?

I wonder if it is safe even in my checked luggage? Anyone have any information and/or opinions on this?

I think I'll also post this in the Puresmoker forum.

[NOTE: If the words and phrases used here have triggered any Homeland Security cyber monitoring, please know that I am only talking about an electronic cigarette, one of the larger ones sold here. Its intended purpose (and as used by me) is merely to inhale flavored nicotine vapor. Thank you.]
common sense may get you a long way on this one...........if you have any doubts, you have to decide what risk it is worth. IMO

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
The prodigy does not look like a pipe bomb. Pipe bombs do not contain batteries they contain nails, glass, ball bearings and/or some other type of projectile and explosive. You all seem overly scared of TSA, eliquid under 3.4 ounces is just like any other type of liquid under 3.4 ounces just make sure if you have a large bottle that it has a commercial label on it that says how much is in the bottle. TSA has tests that can be run to determine that you dont have explosives so dont worry about it getting taken away. At most you will have a someone run a test on your bag and have your bag searched and asked what your PV is. TSA is not affiliated with the FDA in any way, shape or form so they will most likely have no clue about FDA's hatred of our PVs. I can say that in Orlando there are actually quite a few vapers that work for TSA. I happen to be one of them.

Reactions: Kemosabe

crand

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Good Advice. I fly at least twice sometime more every week. I've been carrying my 510 which is assembled in an eyeglass case in my brief case. The charger is mixed in with the others [laptop, blackberry etc...] and the liquid is in an acceptable size bottle in my zip lock baggie. TSA has yet to open one of my bags.
Interestingly enough I was behind a guy at LAX who was explaining his Janty Stick to an agent who was searching through his possessions. I did overhear him saying it was an inhaler that he uses to treat his bronchitis. I was running late for a flight and could not stick around but they didn't seem to be balking at his explanation.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I can say that in Orlando there are actually quite a few vapers that work for TSA. I happen to be one of them.

Thank you for your post! The rest of us can speculate or share our anecdotal experiences, but you are in the know.

BTW, I'm not one of those who have been knocking TSA employees. In fact, I was part of a large cadre of contractors who trained the new checked baggage screeners back in 2002.

Based on my experience then, and as a passenger/searchee since then, I think TSA employees are like any other group of people: on average, nice, decent folks you wouldn't mind having a beer with + some bad apples + some displaying outstanding customer service and humor.

What distinguishes you (and those in a few other professions) is that you have a pretty unpopular job to do. Waiting in line, removing my laptop from my bag, taking off my shoes (and now worrying about my Prodigy being confiscated) is a pain in the toochis! And 9/11 (the reason so many of us willingly put up with it) is starting to become an historical event (rather than a recent trauma).

Please continue to offer your words of informed wisdom!

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I appreciate the kind words Don. I do not hear many of them after people find that I work for the evil TSA. To set all of you at ease none of your items will ever be confiscated. TSA does not confiscate anything. The officers should give you options including checking the item in your checked baggage, mailing it home, and leaving it at the checkpoint. If any officer does not give you those options and just takes your PV or liquid then ask for a supervisor and it will be returned. If the supervisor is a good one then they will back the officer and not allow the item to enter the sterile area so I would suggest going back and checking it in. Though I do not foresee any officer actually having an issue with a PV as long as they are not put on the prohib list. If that is ever put on the prohib list then I am screwed because I have to go through the checkpoint to get to work and wouldnt be allowed to have it. Though officially the only items on the prohib list are things that could be dangerous.

ErikNYC

Jul 9, 2009
Melbourne FL
I appreciate the kind words Don. I do not hear many of them after people find that I work for the evil TSA. To set all of you at ease none of your items will ever be confiscated. TSA does not confiscate anything. The officers should give you options including checking the item in your checked baggage, mailing it home, and leaving it at the checkpoint. If any officer does not give you those options and just takes your PV or liquid then ask for a supervisor and it will be returned. If the supervisor is a good one then they will back the officer and not allow the item to enter the sterile area so I would suggest going back and checking it in. Though I do not foresee any officer actually having an issue with a PV as long as they are not put on the prohib list. If that is ever put on the prohib list then I am screwed because I have to go through the checkpoint to get to work and wouldnt be allowed to have it. Though officially the only items on the prohib list are things that could be dangerous.

Does that rule of offering to mail an item home or put it in your checked baggage apply to Canada as well??

Sort of off topic here but I once had a small laser pointer taken away while flying out of YYZ. The woman running the Xray saw it in my bag, called another agent over to check it and he said the only thing I could do was "give" it to someone outside. He would not let me mail it back or check it in my luggage.

I think he wanted it for himself..lol

13ways

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Orlando, FL
I can not speak for Canada as I do not know the laws there but if you were given the option to go out and give it to someone It sounds like you could have gone out to check it in. Sometimes the options arent given because the officer feels the item is not worth the time effort and money involved in the passenger going back out of security checking it in and then returning through security. I will admit for a little $5 laser pointer I dont think I would give all the options unless the passenger really seems to want to keep the item so that may have been what happened in that case.

chandlerjeo

Moved On
Oct 15, 2009
  • Deleted by Sun Vaporer
  • Reason: spammer

JustWondering

Feb 23, 2012
Louisiana
This is such a sad discussion. I wish we didn't have to worry about things so innocent to supposedly protect our freedom and security. And as for the laser pointer goes, uh yeah you should have been given the option to keep your property. No matter how much its actually worth, it's yours. It's just conditioning to get u prepared to get things of more monetary or survival value comphiscated.
I luckily have had no problems so far in airports with my liquids and PV. I keep it all tucked away in my luggage and bring the bare minimum. All tho each time I fly I choose not to go thru the cancer causing X-ray and sadly my children and I get felt up by the TSA. Freedom huh?

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
How about international travel? I travel to Asia often via JFK,NY. Does anyone know the factual limitations or what is allowed to carry onboard (Hand Carry), and if I can bring my larger Mods, e.g. Provari's etc, batteries and juice(s) in my Check in bags? I would hate to have my stuff confiscated by TSA, not only would it be costly to replace, and ruin my trip, but when I get to my destination, I have no choice than to find a place that sells them or even worst, resort back to analogs. :ohmy:

buiductuan182

Moved On
Jul 9, 2017
www.quangminhhanoi.com
  • Deleted by retired1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread