Eheim filterpad mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkybozu

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
:D
so i really like my JS but i had a few problems with the ejuice not coming out properly.
this mod uses the straw mod and the spring mods concepts

dscf3128s.jpg

as you can see the blue Eheim filter pad is pretty loose so the air flow is good, it is also very springy so it always goes back to its original shape . in fact its so loose that if you don't block the entrance with the normal wick then the juice will run out of the cart, graet thing though is that with the normal wick at the end ,it just works, completly drains the cart :cool:
its like an endless perfect drip, ive been walking around with it in my pocket for a few days now and no spill, no leak:D

funkybozu

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
nop im using both
the blue foam takes up 4/5 of the cart with 1/5 the normal pad/wick
the blue pad lets air through very easily so the juice runs the way you want it to
you need the white wick to slow the juice down, im amazed at how much juice this thing can carry, and amazed at how much stays trapped in the normal carts,
ive tried it on 901 carts as well, works great.
the trick is to use the minimun amount of normal whick which traps and doesnt let go of the juice, 1/5 of the cart is about perfect

solonguniverse

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Missouri, USA
Would this work with other types of atomizers/cartridges?

You put the blue Eheim filter piece on the bottom of the cartridge that is closest to the mouthpiece and cover that with the original wool/poly stuffing that was in the cartridge?

I'm sure it would! I've been thinking of using a two-piece system in my 510 cartridges with two different densities of material. It seems like most problems stem from the bottom half of the cartridge holding liquid and if it was looser it would release it into the denser material on the top half at a pretty steady rate.

funkybozu

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
I'm sure it would! I've been thinking of using a two-piece system in my 510 cartridges with two different densities of material. It seems like most problems stem from the bottom half of the cartridge holding liquid and if it was looser it would release it into the denser material on the top half at a pretty steady rate.

yup you can cut the pad to any size you want so it will work with any cartige

solon yes the different density thing does solve a lot of the problams with the juice not coming out of the bottom of the cart
you really need the original only to stop the flow
10~20% of the cart is enough to do that

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Ok guys
i tried all these types of reticulated foams.
Your cart should be used with reticulated foam only ...no poly fill...

This reticulated foam is far superior for the following reasons.

1. they are not absorbent but hold the liquid.
2. they are mostly air so tons of liquid can be placed into the cart.

3. if you pack this foam loosely you can fill the cart totally without using straws or other devices. The liquid slowly seeps all the way to the bottom of the cart.

4. You must make sure that the foam piece is in a "V" Shape , so it is narrower at the bottom of the cart.

5. You must make sure that the foam piece is exactly the length of the cart
(e.g. an 801 cart is 1.1" exactly of filling material.
You must not compress the foam down into the cart. It must fit loosely.

6. no leaking...

Throw all poly FILL away...it's a waste of time ...

mpetva

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Virginia
Ok guys
i tried all these types of reticulated foams.
Your cart should be used with reticulated foam only ...no poly fill...

This reticulated foam is far superior for the following reasons.

1. they are not absorbent but hold the liquid.
2. they are mostly air so tons of liquid can be placed into the cart.

3. if you pack this foam loosely you can fill the cart totally without using straws or other devices. The liquid slowly seeps all the way to the bottom of the cart.

4. You must make sure that the foam piece is in a "V" Shape , so it is narrower at the bottom of the cart.

5. You must make sure that the foam piece is exactly the length of the cart
(e.g. an 801 cart is 1.1" exactly of filling material.
You must not compress the foam down into the cart. It must fit loosely.

6. no leaking...

Throw all poly FILL away...it's a waste of time ...

Would you mind sharing a link with us which reticulated foam to buy and where to buy it??? Please, please.

Thanks

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Guys here we go :

For the 801 cart a larger cell reticulated foam works best.
For the joye 510 or smaller carts use a smaller cell reticulated foam.

The larger cell foam i found is yellow in color and the brand name is AQUA CLEAR.
made by a company called HAGEN. Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
Product name is "AquaClear 50 Foam Insert".
This foam works wonders in the 801 cart, because it holds liquid somewhat and you can fill the cart up due to the large cell configuration.
I have a picture to show you the exact size of the foam insert for the cart.
Do not compress this foam in the cart. it's size should be 1.2" long by 0.4" by 0.4"

2. For the smaller carts, there is a smaller cell reticulated foam that works better.
the one i am using is brand name MARINELAND "RITE SIZE FOAM SLEEVES"
This insert should be cut 1" x 0.2" 0.2" .

If you drip to one side of the cart , the cart fills up and you will not need a straw or spring...
The yellow reticulated foam has transformed my janty stick.
I do not need to top off the cart anymore, it lasts for 100 puffs.
Furthermore the foam is washable...and it does not get all stiff like fluval or polyfill.

Here are pictures.

I have tried burning the foam, and trust me , you will smell or taste it if it burns. So should your atty fail, you will smell it long before it harms you.

So any "NAY" sayers...go find something better..and return once you have succeeded!!

(Sorry but i'm getting some heavy resistance from a few people who criticize but do not come up with solutions to the problem).

Attachments

• yellow ret.jpg
    yellow ret.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 831
  • blue reticulate.jpg
    blue reticulate.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 897
  • foam size.jpg
    foam size.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,015

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
Guys here we go :

For the 801 cart a larger cell reticulated foam works best.
For the joye 510 or smaller carts use a smaller cell reticulated foam.

The larger cell foam i found is yellow in color and the brand name is AQUA CLEAR.
made by a company called HAGEN. Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
Product name is "AquaClear 50 Foam Insert".
This foam works wonders in the 801 cart, because it holds liquid somewhat and you can fill the cart up due to the large cell configuration.
I have a picture to show you the exact size of the foam insert for the cart.
Do not compress this foam in the cart. it's size should be 1.2" long by 0.4" by 0.4"

2. For the smaller carts, there is a smaller cell reticulated foam that works better.
the one i am using is brand name MARINELAND "RITE SIZE FOAM SLEEVES"
This insert should be cut 1" x 0.2" 0.2" .

If you drip to one side of the cart , the cart fills up and you will not need a straw or spring...
The yellow reticulated foam has transformed my janty stick.
I do not need to top off the cart anymore, it lasts for 100 puffs.
Furthermore the foam is washable...and it does not get all stiff like fluval or polyfill.

Here are pictures.

I have tried burning the foam, and trust me , you will smell or taste it if it burns. So should your atty fail, you will smell it long before it harms you.

So any "NAY" sayers...go find something better..and return once you have succeeded!!

(Sorry but i'm getting some heavy resistance from a few people who criticize but do not come up with solutions to the problem).

Thank you for the information!! I found the smaller version for 510 on Amazon, but there are several choices for Rite-Size filters coded as either "Z" or "K" or "G". But the package doesn't look like the picture. Does your package you have show any code? This is the Amazon product:

Amazon.com: Marineland Rite Size Cartridge Z, 3-Pack: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks again!

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I got some of the AquaClear 50 Foam Insert from Petsmart, think it was $3.99 for 3 pads. It does hold a LOT of liquid, but found it takes a bit for it to get down there to the bottom, maybe I have mine too dense. So far, no strange flavors, just juice, and lots of vapor, no liquid in mouth when topped off.

Will report back in a couple of days, going to try and use this exclusively. Hope to find out how long the filler lasts, how it holds up to atomizer heat, and any possible leaks.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I'm curious if a straw mod would help in this, I suspect it would. I'm still puffing on my first cart now, great flavor, plenty of vapor. I did notice, I had a lot of liquid around my cart as it thins out from the atomizer heat and sweats around the outside of the 801 cart... I may have put in too much juice, to be honest :p

I just rest the janty stick up against my keyboard at a tilt and that liquid runs down to the atomizer, dont think its more than a couple of drops, so no floods yet from that.

I hope to get the kinks worked out, I'm really tired of messing with the polyester batting, seems there's always too much liquid at the bottom before I start getting dry atomizer flavors, even with a straw mod.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
You don't need the straw.
The foam cells are huge.
Make sure the foam piece is a little smaller than the cart, or same size...
The liquid just drops in all the way to the bottom.

There is always a little liquid outside the cart. This is not new to the foam, all these stuffing materials will give some liquid outside the white cart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread