Better than Provari???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsu99999

Jun 17, 2011
Seattle, WA
I need some help. I have a provari, and while it works as advertised, it's not the right PV for me. First, I use Dual Coil cartos and a tank setup. The Provari won't let me vape above 4v with the DC's which is a well known problem. Second, I ordered the chrome version, and while I've not dropped my Provari, the chrome is flaking off all over the place. Very frustrating spending 200 bucks on something that the chrome won't stick to. Third, the power from my simple vv box mod far outperforms the power from the Provari. Not that I vape that hot, I still like the ability to do so if I wanted to.

I'm looking for something new. Will probably sell the Provari to fund it. Is there anything out there that blows the Provari away? If not, what is the best constructed VV box mod on the market? My box mod has stopped working (from Madvapes) and I need something reliable.

Thanks for your help!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
IMHO, the best constructed VV boxmod is made by Krimson Kustom. His attention to detail is unsurpassed, and you can choos your led color, button color, as well as other options. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oltage-evercool-quality-look-great-price.html

Or you could go for one of the more expensive handcrafted wood boxmods. There's the Grip from SweetVapes, the Hogmod, or the Redsky. You can search any of these. The only downside is that they are very popular, and there is usually quite a wait list.

Jeremy-WI

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
SW WI
I need some help. I have a provari, and while it works as advertised, it's not the right PV for me. First, I use Dual Coil cartos and a tank setup. The Provari won't let me vape above 4v with the DC's which is a well known problem. Second, I ordered the chrome version, and while I've not dropped my Provari, the chrome is flaking off all over the place. Very frustrating spending 200 bucks on something that the chrome won't stick to. Third, the power from my simple vv box mod far outperforms the power from the Provari. Not that I vape that hot, I still like the ability to do so if I wanted to.

I'm looking for something new. Will probably sell the Provari to fund it. Is there anything out there that blows the Provari away? If not, what is the best constructed VV box mod on the market? My box mod has stopped working (from Madvapes) and I need something reliable.

Thanks for your help!

The voltage limits are not a well known problem, its a design feature to keep people from destroying atties/cartos and it does help the batteries. I think the Provari limits amps to 2.5 and under, at 4 volts a 1.5 ohm load is about 2.66 amps.

You might want to look at a darwin, they have a dedicated user group similar to those of us that like the provari, I think the darwin allows you to adjust amps, but I haven't read a lot on them and I don't have one

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
LR came out so low voltage devices could vape more like high voltage devices. A VV device doesn't use LR well because it wasn't designed for it nor does it need it. Why not just get a 2.5 ohm dual coil carto and run it at 6 volts on your provari ? That should be plenty to satisfy just about anyone unless taste is a priority then even a lr carto wont. As for the chrome flaking that sucks and I would be upset also. I bet provape would take care of you if it is still under warranty.

Last edited:

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada

Thanks for your help!

Can you please tell me something? The metal underneath the chrome that's flaking off, is it stainless steel as they claim?

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa

wsu99999

Jun 17, 2011
Seattle, WA
That being the case, is there any advantage to using DCs with Provari at all?

Hmmm... mystified
There isn't an advantage, except, for the fact I have about 50 of those type of cartos. I know that if I wasn't so lazy, I could either slot my regular single coil cartos to use with my tank system, but as it stands now, I can't use them with my tank. The tank setup I have is amazing, and has completely changed the way I vape. I don't think I can go back to filling a carto 30 times per day. I've tried it just for the simple fact of using the provari, but its a pain.

I can't verify if under the chrome is stainless steel, but it is metal, and it is "silver" looking. Just a dull chrome color. Half of the reason I got this is because it's a beautiful unit. Mine looks like crap and half the time I use it I walk away with silver flakes on my hands.

The kicker... I've only had it like a month, maybe 45 days max!

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I have a black chrome version. It scratches very easily, but it doesn't flake off. I was hoping the Lavatube was dumb enough because its so inexpensive not to notice low resistance devices, but it does and kicks the voltage down to 3.7 with dual coils. The only things I have that push dual coils at high volts is a cheapie box mod and a couple of mods that can run at 6v with stacked batteries.

For the most part, I use the 1.7 ohm single coil xl smoktechs in my tank, those perform pretty well at 3.9v

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
IMHO would let the people at ProVape know that you are having an issue. They may be able to help. I have a black chrome and do not have issues w/ flaking or scratching and love it. A mod that rivals the Pro but handles Low Resistance is the Darwin, also very highly recommended.

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
A box mod from Krimson Kustoms. I have a Krescendo that will run 2 dual coils at the same time at 6.1V. You don't get any better than that. PM JamesW if you're interested in one of his mods.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oltage-evercool-quality-look-great-price.html

Contact ProVape and get your ProVari fixed before selling it. I don't think a buyer would be happy with the paint coming off or whatever it is that they use.

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2011
SW WI
There isn't an advantage, except, for the fact I have about 50 of those type of cartos. I know that if I wasn't so lazy, I could either slot my regular single coil cartos to use with my tank system, but as it stands now, I can't use them with my tank. The tank setup I have is amazing, and has completely changed the way I vape. I don't think I can go back to filling a carto 30 times per day. I've tried it just for the simple fact of using the provari, but its a pain.

I can't verify if under the chrome is stainless steel, but it is metal, and it is "silver" looking. Just a dull chrome color. Half of the reason I got this is because it's a beautiful unit. Mine looks like crap and half the time I use it I walk away with silver flakes on my hands.

The kicker... I've only had it like a month, maybe 45 days max!

So what is so bad about using it at under 4.0 volts when they were made for the ego, riva and other lower voltage devices?

I use my provari and 2 ohm boges with chibi tanks and try to keep it around 4V, although I have gone up to 4.4.

Take some pictures of the flaking and email provape, they will probably make it right if you are willing to send it back to them

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I would suggest you give a VV Army Tank V2 a try soon. J should be taking orders pretty soon from what I've heard from him. You should definitely give him a pm if interested. Just to give you a short description of the mod. It's a VV bottom feeder. Here's my review:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-mods-reviews/224699-vv-army-tank-v2.html

It's 107 shipped.

I second this, I own one myself and it is much smaller than most Box Mods and it also delivers a serious Kick with my 306 atty's.

As far as the DC's that is all I use on my Provari with the added convenience of a Dual Coil SS MAP Tank. I do however use 2.0 Ohm and 2.5 Ohm dual coil cartos on it and with either one I can crank it all the way up to 6V with Zero issues. So before you sell your Provari definitely give the higher Ohm Dual coils a shot. You may change your mind very quickly.

As Far as the Flaking, if you e-mail Provape and let them know about it I have never known them not to make it right.

Hope this helps;
Nate aka Darth Vapor

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
Buzz Pro or Ipro will run a LR carto/atty up to 4.7v. Well built mods, and are priced right.
Notcigs

I totally agree.. Buzz Pro or Infinity Pro -- get em from notcigs

They dont have an LCD like the Provari, but you dont need it. It has a dial that you turn to increase/decrease voltage. Just dial it in till you get the best vapor and taste. Easy, Simple, Reliable, Affordable....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread