Blood test lab results for nicotine levels!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
First things first.....a little history.

I was a 2-3 pack a day smoker for 19.5 years. I have been vaping for 2 months an average of 3ml of 36mg juice. I needed to get some blood work done and figured I'd get a cotinine level while I was at it. Now the medical facility was quite helpful but it took 2 days of phone calls and stopping in to get them to do this.(apparently testing of actual levels is not very common) They finally did some research and found out what to do and where to send it. The results are in.

I vaped 80-90mg's (or more) in the days leading up to the test. I drove for and hour and a half before I walked into the office at 4;30 p.m.(nicotine levels are lowest in the morning so I waited until later)Note: I chain vape when I'm driving.

Here are the blood test results

nicotine and cotinine metabolite

test status......final
nicotine...13
cotinine...247
3-oh-cotinine S/P....66

all units are ng/ml

NOTE: Test information..Nicotine and metabolites, serum/plasma analysis performed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry

reference intervals ng/ml

Nicotine unexposed user level would be less than 2........active tobacco user would be 30-50 (mine is 13)

Cotinine unexposed user would be less than 2.....active tobacco user 200-800 (mine is 247)

3OHcot unexposed user would be less than 2.....active tobacco user 100-500 (mine is 66)

As you can see the cotinine level is the only one that even reached tobacco user levels and was still at the very bottom. The other levels were well below tobacco user levels. This is very good news IMO. Maybe some of you were hoping for high levels but this is proof in my case that these are very successful products. It also explains why I could drop to 10mg a couple days ago and not notice.

(of further interest is the fact that I constantly wipe juice on my hands and even lick the juice off my fingers quite regularly. Although I would never condone such behavior as everyone is different. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME)

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
that is good news. I knew the nic level in our systems was very low b/c I popped a piece of 4mg nicorette last week and about died from the nausea. I used to be able to chain chew that stuff when I first started vaping. Now no analogs for about 2.5 months and the tolerance levels have clearly dropped.

I wonder how your test results would fly with an insurance company to be insured as a non-smoker? For vapers using less than 36mg they could probably pass?

ps I have no problem licking my fingers either ;)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Proto Type and all, here's the link for the Original Thread, there are more tests there, mine too (2, 1 saliva 1 urine Cotinine) Proto Any advice or suggestions welcomed!!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/24062-home-test-nicotine-blood-levels.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/24062-home-test-nicotine-blood-levels.html

I believe Joanna1010 has more tests coming in later, there are a few that have been done, info is there more towards the end on the thread. There are also links for the Ruyan Testing, New Zealand, etc.
I hope everyone that does testing will post it there (strictly voluntary). Thanks

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Not quite sure why this would be good news, or even unexpected. It just another piece of evidence that shows how e-cigs are not a very good nicotine delivery device. From the research that has been done, puff for puff, e-cigs deliver about 1/10 the nicotine of analogs. Except for the cotinine your blood work shows it. it. Doing 3 mm a day of 36 mg liquid is a whole lot of vaping. And that’s about the strongest liquid out there.

That may work for some people but for others it’s easy to see how e-cigs are not the answer to analogs.

So explain again why this is good news.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Well, I would say that it is good news from the point of view that there is a lot of speculation about authorities limiting the mg of nic available (eg the FDA report made reference to the fact that more nic was contained in some of the carts than in other things on the market (and that was only with a lower mg than is being reported in this thread), so AFAIAC, this is good evidence for the mg not tobe too heavily regulated.

tannerk

ECF Veteran
...of further interest is the fact that I constantly wipe juice on my hands and even lick the juice off my fingers quite regularly. Although I would never condone such behavior as everyone is different. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME...

Thanks happily, great info that further confirms e-cigs are better alternative to smoking.

I do lick my fingers too. I find RY4 to be the pleasant on my pallet with slight kick afterwords.

--:thumbs:--:thumbs:--:thumbs:--

tannerk

ECF Veteran
Whether or not this constitutes "relatively safely" is an open question. The desire shouldn't be judged.

Sure, the blood test by it self, certainly does not. I draw my conclusions from FDA's report, historical data on PG/VG, juice additives, etc... But most importantly (kicked analogs 3 month ago) I feel much, much better.

Tori

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
South Texas USA
Not quite sure why this would be good news, or even unexpected. It just another piece of evidence that shows how e-cigs are not a very good nicotine delivery device. From the research that has been done, puff for puff, e-cigs deliver about 1/10 the nicotine of analogs. Except for the cotinine your blood work shows it. it. Doing 3 mm a day of 36 mg liquid is a whole lot of vaping. And that’s about the strongest liquid out there.

That may work for some people but for others it’s easy to see how e-cigs are not the answer to analogs.

So explain again why this is good news.

I would say this is excellent news! That we are able to quit analogs and vape only 1/10th the nicotine we were smoking... and survive it.... how do you not see the win-win here? Maybe you need to re-read it :)

So happy to see those results happily :thumbs:

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
What I get from these results is that e'cigs are a very effective replacement for analogs and you're not simply ODing on nicotine to do so. It also shows me how easy it is to go to low or no nic(technically already have) without issues. I'd say the only reason to go lower with the nic concentration would be to save money or if the juice is not readily available. The attitude benefits I get from puffing and low dose nicotine are well worth vaping on IMO. Just good to know the placebo affect is there if I have to go to zero nicotine one day.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I would say this is excellent news! That we are able to quit analogs and vape only 1/10th the nicotine we were smoking... and survive it.... how do you not see the win-win here? Maybe you need to re-read it :)

So happy to see those results happily :thumbs:

I'm still trying to see how this would be a win-win. I think you're assuming that everyone who picks up an e-cig quits cigarettes. There is absolutely no evidence of that. Lots of people are not able to get off of analogs using e-cigs. The reason is that e-cigs are a lousy source of nicotine. It's not even equal to nicotine gum.

For some people it works. For others it doesn't. You may be able to get by with 1/10 the nicotine you did with analogs but many can't.

I'm simply trying to be realistic. You may want to look at this thread

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-mg-liquids-since-absorbion-rate-so-low.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread