• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Retail Locations for batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
You can buy a 6-pack of 18650s in most laptop batteries. They are flat-top and soldered in with conductive ribbon. I had no problem getting them out with a flat screwdriver and pliers. You just have to break a laptop battery to get them. I am not 100% sure which ar protected 18650s, but the ones I have seem to be constucted with a PCB.

Lori68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2011
Maple Ridge, BC
HA! Although I'm not bashing the city (as is anyone here) it is fun to poke fun at them. After all it does seem that everything is always located there.

As for batteries out our way, bc and alberta, I think we're SOL with a retailer. I've called around to all sorts of places I could think of. Specialty battery shops, hobby stores, etc. The one place I didn't check is hunting stores. Lighthound in the US appears to be like a hunting accessory store and they sell the 18650's for flashlights.

Nergost

Sep 30, 2011
Canada
personally I wouldn't recommend non protected batteries

From what I'm reading on the forums. When a protected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face. Where as a safe chemistry battery (while not necessarily safe) is more likely to vent than blow. Reosmods recomends the AW 18650 IMR which is a "safe chemistry" battery. Additionaly the spring that keeps your battery in place is also doubles as extra protection as they are designed to compress and lose their spring when shorted, thus breaking the connection. Because a protected battery is a couple mm longer than a "safe chemistry" they may take longer for the spring to compress/fuse or even worse not at all. I'm not an expert on this by any means it's just info I've picked up here in ecf over the last couple days. I have a brand new Reo that just arrived today but my order of batteries and charger from Rtdvapor still hasn't arrived :(

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
From what I'm reading on the forums. When a protected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face. Where as a safe chemistry battery (while not necessarily safe) is more likely to vent than blow. Reosmods recomends the AW 18650 IMR which is a "safe chemistry" battery. Additionaly the spring that keeps your battery in place is also doubles as extra protection as they are designed to compress and lose their spring when shorted, thus breaking the connection. Because a protected battery is a couple mm longer than a "safe chemistry" they may take longer for the spring to compress/fuse or even worse not at all. I'm not an expert on this by any means it's just info I've picked up here in ecf over the last couple days. I have a brand new Reo that just arrived today but my order of batteries and charger from Rtdvapor still hasn't arrived :(

Just to be clear it should say "when a unprotected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face."
A protected battery has added circuitry to prevent that event, from my own use I have found that the circuitry seems very reliable and is well done.

Nergost

Sep 30, 2011
Canada
Just to be clear it should say "when a unprotected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face."
A protected battery has added circuitry to prevent that event, from my own use I have found that the circuitry seems very reliable and is well done.
Nope I meant what I wrote :) I admit there is an ongoing debate though. I don't have the time to figure out how to link the other page right now but ecf does recomend the aw 18650 imr as their first choice. This battery is not protected by a circuit but is protected by safe chemistry. Their second choice is a protected battery. The way I understand it is when the protected battery fails, it would be the protection circuit that fails. To be honest I think it's really apples and oranges but I think when considering the battery spring is a secondary protection and the fact a protected battery is a couple mm longer which can prevent this second level of protection from working properly I'll go with ecf and Reomods first choice and use the AW 18650 imr battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread