e juice steeping????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragline

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I have read several reviews on various liquids, many of which mention the flavor increasing or getting better after letting the juice steep for some amount of time, some even mention my situation of not really caring for the liquid right out of the mail, but loving them later, however none of them really describe the process. Or at least none of the reviews I have read anyway.

So what is the proper process for letting e liquid steep. Cap on or off, sitting out on the counter or put up I'm the dark, In the fridge, at room temp, near a low heat source???

I have some new bottles of 100% VG that are okay, or I am not really liking them right out of the mail box but if sweeping will improve them I'd like to give that a go before trying to sell or swap them on the classified threads.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

luceblueboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Ohio
It's all in your preference. Some veterans say to leave the cap off overnight or 24 hours then put it back on and wait. Others say you shouldn't do this. I do leave the cap off overnight then let them steep for at least a week. Some juices may not need to steep. Others may be awful in the beginning but great after a week. Finally, some juice will just always taste nasty to you. You do need to put them in a place where direct sunlight isn't hitting them. I have them in my cool basement. The refrigerator also works great but you should take them out and let the juice warm to room temperature before you use it. I've read the frige helps the juice last longer but never tried it myself. If the juice is made to order, let it steep. If the juice is already pre-made (like Dekang) you should be good to go right out of the mail. Hope this helps!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
It varies. Some leave it uncovered (out of real of children and pets) overnight (and by uncovered I mean you also have to pop out the drip tip - pushing sideways on it will usually pop it out). You could try it then. If not better yet, let sit covered (put the drip tip back in, cover back on) for a week or several weeks.

Some say leaving it open overnight its too much and that the nicotine level will reduce if you do that. They say a couple of hours open should be enough.

Re VG juices - least TH, and often dulled flavor too. I like 70pg/30pg or around there, sometimes 80pg/20vg. And some of my dessert flavors are 50/50.

Cindra

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2010
Florida
I take the cap of and let it sit over night. Replace the cap, give it a shake then store it in a dark location. I have a "juice box" I got at Hobby Lobby pretty cheap. Then a week or so I try it again. If I still don't get into it, I put it back in the box. Now if it still has a "strong" smell to it I might even let it sit uncapped over night again. Then put it back in the box for a week or so.

I have also found that the flavors I like change frequently. So what is my favorite today well tomorrow I may get up and be like ewww. So back to the box it goes and I try dripping some of the other flavors until I find the one that is my new favorite for the next couple days. I did find I have a "base" favorite which is my menthol/mint undertone.

Guess what I am saying is don't dismiss any of your juice till you have gone back and tried it several times over a couple months. If it still isn't working for you then you may want to trade it out or save it for a rainy day when you just don't have any juice on hand. However, I am only in about 2 1/2 months and I have build up a years supply of juice, so I am sure you will have rainy days covered too. hehe

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
If you ever start mixing your own juices you'll discover the wonders of steeping. I haven't mixed a batch yet that didn't improve with time. Some take a day or two, others a week, and others a full month to mature. When I buy or make juice I try it right away. If I like it, I vape it. If I don't I just cap it up and throw it in my stash. Each week I take them back out and taste them again. If they taste right I vape them, if not they go back for another week. Repeat until they either taste good, or you give up on them.
I've been vaping long enough to know what I like and don't like so I rarely get juice that I won't or can't vape anymore. But if you have some that you just can't stand, consider doing a PIF. I've given most all my nasty stuff away to some desperate souls in need.

Am I doing something wrong 99% of the time I like what I have made, I usually make around 4ml of juice and really never let them age. As of yesterday I made 4 new ones and liked them all and when the 4ml is used up I make more, I'm afraid 2 make too much not sure what the shelf life would be?? Does anyone know

Usually two years from manufacturing date.

Gergely

Oct 9, 2011
Italy
If you are using cartomizers, do you just put condoms on the cartomizers that you use to test your flavor and store the carto away (with leftover test juice still in it) along with the flavor while it's steeping?

Use an atomizer to test your juice before commting it to a cartomizer. You may not want to waste a carto on it. I knew this information but still found out the hard way earlier today when trying out my first batch of DIY stuff. I mixed up about 6 different juices a week ago and tested them on an atomizer to make sure that had done a decent job. Convinced that I had I then put them away for a week to steep. One flavor that was peculiar on the atomizer and thought was a keeper, today tasted like decaying flora. I just threw away the carto I filled. I should have repeated the atomizer test.

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
All of mine get put in the closet for 2 weeks before I even contemplate trying them. Just store it in a cool, dark place away from heat and sunlight. You can uncap it and remove the dripper for 24 hours to speed up the process. Just make sure it's out of reach of little hands and paws.

Totally agree with this, 2 weeks after you recieve them they are good to go, however if you add anything to them you will need to leave them alone for another 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread