Status
Not open for further replies.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
One of my brother's b-day is Friday. Last weekend he asked me for a mod for his b-day. I asked him if he wanted a Sprite, Merlin, Denali, or Zack. He says a Denali, but in a Merlin package. I told him that ain't happening. :D I get the feeling sometimes that my family thinks I just whip these mods out of my back pocket. :facepalm:

He was a bit put out by that and was moping about so I thought maybe I would see what I could do for him. I looked through the box of cases and enclosures I have trying to get an idea of what it would take to make a smaller version of the Denali and yet with all the features of the Denali.

And... Dena was born... Denali's lil' sis. She isn't as pretty as Denali, but she packs as big a punch as her big brother does. :toast:

Features:
- High efficiency 6A, 30W switching converter (OKR-T/6-W12-C)
- Input/output capacitors
- Stainless steel atty switch with clicky feel
- Master switch - on/off
- Display vaping volts - on/off
- Display total volts - on/off
- Extended atty connector
- Finger adjustable thumbwheel
- juice well
- 3.6 - 6 volt vaping range
- Uses 2, 14500 batts

And for this mod I decided to take the time to do a step-by-step how to for those who want to build one like it...

Dena - Dual 14500 VV Regulated Mod

Displays total input volts...
dena1.jpg

Displays vaping volts...
dena2.jpg

Dena...
dena3.jpg

Dena with Denali...
dena4.jpg

For those who want to jump right in without reading the how to, here's Dena's wiring... very very similar to Denali... but uses slide switches instead of toggle switches and 14500 batts instead of 18650 batts...
dena5.jpg

Here's the wiring for Denali... as you can see the wiring is very similar to Dena...
denali10.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Oh Mamu, you make some nice gear...I actually have your Denali cct drawing push pinned to my work bench wall...though I also have bstedh's as well, both of you should be graphic artists;)...that atty switch looks like the same switch used on the RSM's and I'm trying to find it...is it really "clicky", can you post a link?

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Thanks guys! :) I'm glad you found the Dena how to helpful. I was overdue for one. :laugh:

@ Quigsworth - I really really like this switch. It does have a nice clicky feel. I bought mine at onlinecomponents.com but they're out of stock right now. Digikey has a few left in stock... PV5S640SS

I also found a very similar switch with the same specs here... but the shipping is a killer unless you buy a lot of em... Miniature Panel Stainless steel Pushbutton Switch V12(dia.12mm) Waterproof

If you know the part number of what you're searching for, octopart.com is a great resource for finding all the suppliers that stock that part (USA suppliers that is) and what the price is.

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Manu makes some beautiful mods! She's also the first that I saw who used the LM2596 modules. I've got a number of these modules now (they come in a few different configurations) and am vaping on a mod using one.
Do a search on eBay for LM2596 and check out these modules for an EASY VV build. Heck, I even found a KIS-3R33 'plug-n-play' module on eBay.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Manu makes some beautiful mods! She's also the first that I saw who used the LM2596 modules. I've got a number of these modules now (they come in a few different configurations) and am vaping on a mod using one.
Do a search on eBay for LM2596 and check out these modules for an EASY VV build. Heck, I even found a KIS-3R33 'plug-n-play' module on eBay.

TY Tom! Using the LM2596 was def the easiest mod evah and it's still in my mod rotation.

Fantastic Mamu. Great looking Mod. I'm sure your brother will be very happy

TY Breaktru! He got it today and was quite surprised he got what he asked for since I told him it wasn't gonna happen. :laugh: But lol - I think I set myself up cuz everyone at the party who vapes asked for one too. :blink:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Mamu, I would be envious of your brother if I didn't have a Denali. I fully see why it needs to be a light version. And the .pdf is impeccable too and full of useful tips. Any chance of a Chopped Denali running 2 18350's? :)

I'm considering a 2 x 18350 in a 1 x 2 x 3 Radio Shack project box. The display may be a problem.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Mamu, I would be envious of your brother if I didn't have a Denali. I fully see why it needs to be a light version. And the .pdf is impeccable too and full of useful tips. Any chance of a Chopped Denali running 2 18350's? :)

TY Asdaq!

I'll get right on that chopped Denali mod. LOLOLOLOL!! :laugh:

Srsly though - that is a good idea. The 4AA batt box is a bit wide. Just need that perfect enclosure for dual 18350s.

I'm considering a Dena/Denali variant. I doubt I'll have room for the LED display.

Does someone know a source for a smaller LCD display module? ...or

Has anyone successfully removed an LCD display module from a commercial battery mod and used it to read voltage?

I took apart the Volt to get its voltage reader. Da-nada. Wouldn't work with the converter and trimmer.

great how-to, you make it look easy mamu :toast:

TY Lynch. I forgot to put instructions for adding the fairy dust and unicorn sprinkles - that's what makes it easy. :D

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I nominate Para to chop the 18650 case. :)

Really though, The battery compartment is ~70mm and the upper ~37mm and if the upper part was cut off and the divider became the top reinforced with the original top and a new divider were added for 18350's....

Might be a bit of work.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I took apart the Volt to get its voltage reader. Da-nada. Wouldn't work with the converter and trimmer.

Thanks for the information.

This is nice work you've done...both the mods and the presentation.

The RS 1 x 2 x 3 project box with 2 - 18350's is a nice fit in my hand. I'm currently running a TI-8100 in one.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Thanks again guys :)

I nominate Para to chop the 18650 case. :)

Really though, The battery compartment is ~70mm and the upper ~37mm and if the upper part was cut off and the divider became the top reinforced with the original top and a new divider were added for 18350's....

Might be a bit of work.

Duh-oh... that's what you meant by chopped Denali. :laugh: I saw pics of one where a modder had done that with the case and it turned out quite nice.

Mamu....thanks for the tutorial. Pictures really help electronics dummies like me.

thanks.gif

Electronics dummy?? As if... you've done some creative wiring with dpdt switches and volt readers Para.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread