How do I reduce amps??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Need some help from electronic friends, I know how to reduce voltage with resistors, what do I use to reduce amps? I want to branch off my 12v 5 amp source with a 12 v 300 mA for battery charging. I google it and the results are always that the source amps doesn't matter as the item draws what it needs except for battery charging. They mention a current limiter but I don't know what this is.

VpnDrgn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Gulfport, MS.
If you where trying to apply juice directly to your batt, they would be destroyed from the fact that you
where putting 12V through a presumed 3.7V batt. The charger will regulate amps regardless of the source,
but you need to step down the voltage to 5v's if it is an USB charger. An AC adapter would presumably
step down voltage and regulate amps, but it sounds like you're using a 12V batt? Or, maybe a PC
power supply?

Think about it, the 5V 2amp wall adapter that most of us use for PT's and charging instead of
risking our PC's does not apply 2 amps to batt. The charger that you plug into it regulates that.

Duh!! I just seen where you said batt was 11.1V's, is 12V's what is required to charge that batt?
I would still think that a charger will regulate the amps, and on a side note, it seems to me
300ma's would take FOREVER to charge a batt that big. :ohmy:

Last edited:

jrm850

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Southeastern US
No one is answering my question. How do I reduce 12v 5amp source to 12v 300 mA. Forget why I want to do it. And yes all I use for vaping is stepped down 11.1 v Li-Po batteries so all this abought 5v and 3.7v is irrelevant.
I thank you all for your suggestions but still haven't found the answer.

Yor question was answered in post #5. Wait for the App to load and you will see exactly what you seek. Put a 40ohm resistor is series and you will have your 300ma. Make sure your resistor can handle the watts.

Last edited:

pailpoe

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
France
A easy way to build a current regulation (linear). Use a LM317 in current source , not voltage.
current-2f9f6f1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread