How to clean an atomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorgain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Dickson TN
I have a brand new atomizer that has funny machine oil kinda taste. It is one of six 801's recently purchased. The other 5 are just fine. They taste like the juice I drip in them. I've never run into this before. Can anyone tell me how to handle this? The performance of the atomizer is just fine. It just tastes crappy. :-x I'm using it primarily on a USB PT. --Thanks

Cayman

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
If it is a new atomizer, my guess would be that you are tasting the primer that ships on them. I actually opened up a new atty tonight for myself and in the sealed package was a ton of wetness which I have never see before... it was primer. Tastes nasty as crap but will burn off. My suggestion it to use it for a little bit but do not inhale. Just exhale the vapor immediately until the bad taste goes away. :) Hope this helps!!

Casey C

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
evolvers.net
I have a brand new atomizer that has funny machine oil kinda taste. It is one of six 801's recently purchased. The other 5 are just fine. They taste like the juice I drip in them. I've never run into this before. Can anyone tell me how to handle this? The performance of the atomizer is just fine. It just tastes crappy. :-x I'm using it primarily on a USB PT. --Thanks

rinse in vodka

PuffinStuff

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
Washington State

I also had one atty in a bunch that had this. I put a few drops of juice, did a few primer puffs without inhaling - repeat that process and your icky taste should be gone. Dont think it will hurt ya, just tastes yucky.

lorgain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Dickson TN
I have tried burning off the nasty taste at least 5 times. I'm going to have to try the vodka next. From what I've read here, I'm leaning toward an impurity in the ni-chrome and it won't stop tasting bad until it burns up.

So.... where do the PS DES801's come from? If it's China, anyone care to guess what those wascally wabbits have tainted my heating element with?

ninjapuff

Nov 28, 2008
I had one like that, and the taste/smell/burning never went away. I tried everything to fix it, but I don't think it's possible... it's just a defect from the factory. I'm sure there are at least a few others who have had this problem. I wouldn't waste my time on it, or my taste buds. My sense of taste was screwed up for like 5 days after trying to "burn through it".

lorgain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Dickson TN
I had one like that, and the taste/smell/burning never went away. I tried everything to fix it, but I don't think it's possible... it's just a defect from the factory. I'm sure there are at least a few others who have had this problem. I wouldn't waste my time on it, or my taste buds. My sense of taste was screwed up for like 5 days after trying to "burn through it".

Exactly what I'm experiencing!! Seems prudent to give up on this one. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's always nice to know when your not alone out on the fringe of something odd.

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
Exactly what I'm experiencing!! Seems prudent to give up on this one. Thanks for sharing your experience. It's always nice to know when your not alone out on the fringe of something odd.

What you are tasting is the primer. The first thing you need to do with a new atomizer is to twist a tissue and stick it in the atomizer side, then blow on the battery side of the atomizer to get as much out as you can. Then, add about 5 drops of juice to dilute what is left and blow it out again. That will get rid of the majority of the primer and bad taste.

Later on, when the atomizer gets really hard to draw through, the little chamber between the atomizer and the battery connection is flooded. Blow it out again as above and let the atomizer stand on end on a piece of paper for about 30 minutes. You may have to repeat the process several times to get rid of the excess juice. Once it is done though the atomizer will work like new. Don't bother with other methods of cleaning the atomizer as they are unreliable or may damage it. I get about 6 weeks from an atomizer this way even with the PV1.

Brian

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I've been cleaning my 801, using Everclear. Every couple of days I swish some of the alcohol in the atty. and rinse.

It cleans pretty good.

Definitely helps the atomizer maintain a good flavor when vaping.

Keeping a clean atty will greatly reduce the need to "over work" it.

My atomizer is going on two weeks and still going strong!

Last edited:

kardjunkie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Chillicothe, Ohio
I have tried burning off the nasty taste at least 5 times. I'm going to have to try the vodka next. From what I've read here, I'm leaning toward an impurity in the ni-chrome and it won't stop tasting bad until it burns up.

So.... where do the PS DES801's come from? If it's China, anyone care to guess what those wascally wabbits have tainted my heating element with?

They all come from China no matter where you buy them from, currently any and all atty are manufactured in China.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA

Is it Mobil 1 ?

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
anyone care to guess what those wascally wabbits have tainted my heating element with?

Probably just some Mercury from all the CRT monitors that we're shipping over there to be dismantled.
Actually it seems like some kind of oil or something to me. Could be the nichrome wire.

I wish there were US made atomizers / cartomizers.
I'd gladly pay more to know there was some standard they were being constructed to.

I rinse almost everything with Everclear and then rinse that with hot distilled water. I use a turkey baster with a plastic tube on the end to force the liquid (rinse) through. Amazing color change from totally clear Pure Grain Alcohol to a brownish yellow whatever death liquid they use.

chrismp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Australia
What you are tasting is the primer. The first thing you need to do with a new atomizer is to twist a tissue and stick it in the atomizer side, then blow on the battery side of the atomizer to get as much out as you can. Then, add about 5 drops of juice to dilute what is left and blow it out again. That will get rid of the majority of the primer and bad taste.

Later on, when the atomizer gets really hard to draw through, the little chamber between the atomizer and the battery connection is flooded. Blow it out again as above and let the atomizer stand on end on a piece of paper for about 30 minutes. You may have to repeat the process several times to get rid of the excess juice. Once it is done though the atomizer will work like new. Don't bother with other methods of cleaning the atomizer as they are unreliable or may damage it. I get about 6 weeks from an atomizer this way even with the PV1.

Brian

lol I know this is an ANCIENT thread but couldn't help replying. For anyone searching on this topic, the above isn't always true.

I've had a batch of joye ego cylinder attys that had this horrible taste (primer fluid is divine compared to the taste I'm talking about)

No amount of blowing, rinsing, 'burning in', vaping or soaking in alcohol will help.

The atomizers were faulty for one reason or another..perhaps machine oil got into the atty, perhaps something else wasn't up to spec - I don't know, but I did contact my supplier who was getting tons of these attys returned for the same problem, they contacted joye and I got word back that I should not use any and send them back for a replacement immediately. The next batch they got in were fine. I had ordered 15 atomizers and every single one had the dreaded taste that is UNREMOVEABLE by any meagre human, so it wasn't a once off.

I've also had a 510 atty with a similar problem, although not as bad. It was just a single purchase so I threw it out, after trying every method to remove the taste.

That's my experience anyway :) For regular old primer just follow the tips above - my method is to blow out the primer, add some PG, blow it out again then continue as usual. If I'm feeling really lazy and there's not much primer I 'vape' it out - not recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread