pretty sure vaping is causing some pretty serious sinus infections and esophagus issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
i have been having some pretty bad side effects from vaping. constant sinus issues (blood and all). and a very itchy scratchy infected throat and esophagus. went to doctor said it was a sinus infection and my lymphnodes are swollen. didnt tell him about vaping, figured he wouldnt know if it was causing it or he would automatically say thats whats causing it. i have been taking antibiotics and a steriod to reduce inflamation. i am pretty sure its vaping causing this. if i dont vape i dont get the issue in my esophaguss but if i do half hour in i feel my esophagus getting inflamed and itchy. it also looks like i am bleeding from my esophagus because my stool is pretty black which indicates internal bleeding somewhere in the esophagus or a ulcer and i dont have a ulcer. so i vaped a little today and instantly my esophagus started to hurt. looks like i am going to have to put a halt on vaping for awhile until i am cleared up. could be a coinsedence that i got sick the same time i started vaping or its vaping causing it. going to wait until its all gone and try to vape again and see if this issue returns. if it does its going to mean quiting cold turkey. will keep you all informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: unIGIon

CCC

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Australia
I know it is easy to jump to the conclusion that it is vaping related but there are a few possibilities you should look into such as Esophageal Ulcers, Strep throat, and Acid Reflux. Irritants (maybe the vapour in your case) can cause ongoing throat irritation. Indoor pollution — tobacco smoke or chemicals -also can cause chronic sore throat. Chewing tobacco, alcohol and spicy foods also can irritate your throat. Try taking some vitamin C, it doesn't do any harm, vitamin C and antioxidants may help your healing.

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
going wait until my cycle of antibiotics are over and my steriod is over then i can see how i feel. i have never had a esophagus issue or throat issue or any health issue for that matter before this. i am 27 male pretty healthy. i excerise (bike/run, gym) i am very active and i am a pretty healthy person. so this CAN be from vaping or i just got sick. but i am putting my money on vaping although i hope it isnt.

vaping for 1 month 7days

It chagrins me to tell you this bro but you may be experiencing the dreaded vape allergy; there are a handful of noted side effects to vaping including those you've mentioned, but they usually come on as mild irritants from heavy prolonged usage. I see that you're pretty new to vaping, if you're sure it's not a bacterial or viral infection you may consider switching to 100% VG, which I actually prefer, and see if that helps. Additionally, it's possible that if you live in a humid or moist climate and you don't store your carts in a clean dry place, or that you reuse them without a good onceover clean you could be breathing in bacteria on your e-cigs. Try booting up a humidifier in your home and see if that clears up your sinus irritation, if it does then it may only be that the vapor is drying you out.

Starlight682

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
California
also, what might help is vaping unflavored nic juice i use that when my throat gets a little dry and chalky from my regular flavors. When i first started vaping though i was having nose bleeds and cough up some blood from my throat because it was so dry, i started drinking more water and using the unflavored nic juice when it was bad and that seemed to curb the problem mostly. Now 2 months later i rarely have a problem it only seemed to last for a month, still get a scratchy throat sometimes though but the unflavored nic seems to fix that quickly

hope you feel better soon :)

Bootsand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
It chagrins me to tell you this bro but you may be experiencing the dreaded vape allergy; there are a handful of noted side effects to vaping including those you've mentioned, but they usually come on as mild irritants from heavy prolonged usage. I see that you're pretty new to vaping, if you're sure it's not a bacterial or viral infection you may consider switching to 100% VG, which I actually prefer, and see if that helps. Additionally, it's possible that if you live in a humid or moist climate and you don't store your carts in a clean dry place, or that you reuse them without a good onceover clean you could be breathing in bacteria on your e-cigs. Try booting up a humidifier in your home and see if that clears up your sinus irritation, if it does then it may only be that the vapor is drying you out.

^ this. If an allergy is the case, start by narrowing down the list of suspects. Try all VG, then all PG, unflavored then flavored. I personally vape 100% VG, as the vapor production is insane. Less throat hit, but in your case that sounds like a good thing...

I really hope its nothing serious and that you heal up ok. Best of luck, and keep us posted!

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
What mg are you vaping?

I tend to agree your symptoms may not be vape related, could be strep, among other issues . Did your doc ck for that?
Good idea to get a humidifier as well, and drink lots of water, as vaping dehydrates you.
Blood in your stool, I've never heard of anyone having this due to vaping.
Please go back to your doc, you may need a colonoscopy.
Hope you feel better soon

Please keep us updated.

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
It might very well be a coincidence. A few days after I started vaping, I began to have a really bad stomach ache. My husband swore it had to do with vaping. As the day went on, pain got worse, I ended up in the ER. Hubs took my ecig, and a bottle of juice with us. When he asked the doc about it, doc just kinda grinned and told him no, it wasn't that. After many tests, and a few hours later, I was in the OR having an emergency appendectomy. Seems when we began to vape, and get sick, the first thing we think is it's the liquid/ecig. Not always true.

Again, I hope you feel better real soon. And if vaping hurts your throat, do not vape. :)

could be a coinsedence that i got sick the same time i started vaping or its vaping causing it.

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
like i said i am not sure, but things got a lot worse when i recieved m,y 30/70vg mix. it almost seem like the more vg the more everything got irritated. but i dont know it could have been a coincidence. this all can be just a virus i got and i am blaming it on the ecig, but it just seems like its too blame as of right now. like i said i hope it isnt and i just have a virus. sorry my mg of nicotine is 12. i am not going to use my pv for 10 days. this is not going to be easy but i have to, to be sure. once my antibiotic cycle is over and my swelling goes down, and i am 100% again i will vape again. at the first sign of things start coming back i will stop. 100%pg never did this to me, just gave me the heavy feeling in my lungs. when i switched to a vg/pg mix like 80/20vg i was fine unless i over vaped and the heavyness came back. i never been able to just sit and vape and vape and vape. i can only vape a little, then stop. then wait 30min and come back vape a little more and stop. i cant chain vape i get lung heaviness feeling and its irritating. however what i am experiencing now is not heavy is a full blown infection. my lungs are clear my doc checked them.

Last edited:

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Using all vg juices gives me a feeling of heaviness in my lungs so now I don't use a majority vg juices anymore but bleeding in the stools would likely indicate something going wrong with your stomach, colon or bowels. If your thoat is bleeding that would likely be absorbed into the stomach and dissolved I would think but I'm not a doctor.
You should also see a gastroenterologist to start.
Swollen sinus's,bleeding gums,bloody nose and slight bleeding in the throat was what I got {the first month or so} when I first started vaping but that quickly cleared up as I got all the toxins out of my body from smoking and got used to vaping.
I would ask my doc for a referral to a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy if he thinks it maybe worth a look.
Good luck and I'm sure we're all hoping it's nothing serious.
C.B.

Last edited:

charady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Iowa
Using all vg juices gives me a feeling of heaviness in my lungs so now I don't use a majority vg juices anymore but bleeding in the stools would likely indicate something going wrong with your stomach, colon or bowels. If your thoat is bleeding that would likely be absorbed into the stomach and dissolved I would think but I'm not a doctor.
You should also see a gastroenterologist to start.
Swollen sinus's,bleeding gums,bloody nose and slight bleeding in the throat was what I got {the first month or so} when I first started vaping but that quickly cleared up as I got all the toxins out of my body from smoking and got used to vaping.
I would ask my doc for a referral to a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy if he thinks it maybe worth a look.
Good luck and I'm sure we're all hoping it's nothing serious.
C.B.

I will say that esophageal bleeding CAN cause blood in the stools-my brother had that problem (but he is in no way a smoker, never has been). The docs have been trying to figure him out for over a year now, but at this point in time he gets banded (apparently, and I may have my terminology wrong here, but he has basically varicose type veins in his throat that are losing blood, so they "band" them to stop the bleeding) He has some other medical issues going on too, but losing blood is his biggest one.

That said, if you are losing blood you need to make your doc aware so you can be checked in case it is not just your throat. Good luck and hope you get better soon!

holly123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
nebraska
i too have swollon glands and irritated throat i could have wrote this post. i have no idea what is causing it . i was vaping bobas bounty . for only about 2 weeks then the symtoms kick in . this happend a year ago also when i tried vaping the last time . went to the doctors the ent had scopes up and down my nose and throat even went to allergist . but since at that time i didnt think it was vaping , i didnt mention it . so now that ive started again with same reactions it has to be . please if u dont mind keep me posted on your situation .

KEITH97M3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
HONOLULU, HAWAII
nu-vapor.com
You might want to check to see if you have acid reflux or even silent reflux which can be caused by nicotine. I went to the doctor and got diagnosed recently because for over a year, I could not figure out why my throat was always irritated, tonsils swollen and my sinuses are always a little stuffy on one side. My tonsils used to bleed as well and has now caused me to get sleep apnea from the acid eroding my esophagus and throat during sleep. I never even suspected this because I never had any heartburn and was not even close to being overweight. Now that I have been taking omeprazole (prilosec), most of the symptoms have subsided quite a bit and my throat is much better.

Your best bet would be to see a Otolaryngologist (E.N.T), just be honest and tell them that you have been vaping nicotine so that they do not have to do any unneeded testing. Please let me know what they find out.

Bawn

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2011
boynton beach, FL
As of today my left lymph nodes are still really swollen and the antibiotics seem to not have an effect on ANything yet either are the steroid. Been taking thE pills for 3 days. Today I'm experiencing pain in my right lung area. It's nothing serious but I get a heavy feeling associated with the late pain in my right side of my chest. I have not vaped for the last 13 hours. Really hope this clears up by next week. I am going to Canada to visit my family and don't feel like being sick while I am there.Kepl you all posted. Not going to vape for the next ten days like I said.

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
i work and vape in the arctic,,which by definition would make it the largest desert in the world..so the extremely dry air plays havoc on my throat anyway ,,so vaping only adds to the issue,,i run a humidifier in my room while i sleep and drink an insane amount of water during the day to rehydrate,,

something to consider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread