The cops are at my door!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I get a knock on the door this evening.. it is a city police officer. He tells me that somebody tipped the police that I was blogging about harmful electronic cigarette chemicals (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-dipropylene-glycol-fragrance-grade-dpgf.html) and I was talking about how to mix the liquid etc.. TRUE STORY.

I showed him my old e cigarette and showed him the liquid and how the whole thing worked. He seemed impressed and told me that if it was illegal, which it is not, it would be out of his jurisdiction anyway. I explained to him how the chemicals are non-toxic food preservatives (PG) and water. He seemed slightly embarrassed and left.

Since my name is not anywhere in my profile, nor my address, and the only identifiable part of this blog is "gtmason" (and my location and avatar pic)... I knew immediately that the only one who would call the police about this is a person from my past who must really have a vendetta against me (to spend so much time online searching blogs for my username) trying to find dirt. What a waste of resources and time for the poor guy, he could have been off busting .... labs or arresting drunk drivers.

I bet I am the only person in the US that has ever almost been arrested over electronic cigarettes. LOL

I have been smoke free since April 5th 09 and I couldn't have quit without the ecig.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I'm in Switzerland now on holiday , and i get some really weird stares from people.
They have no clue what vaping is over here.
Europeans have a tendency to look much more at others than we do in the USA.

One old lady, stood there for a few minutes and tried to figure out what my Janty stick was.
She simply did not dare ask me. (typical Swiss mentality)
I could see she was dying to know, so i told her (In French) that i had been a heavy smoker for many years, and this metallic looking object was a medical device that actually removes the smoke from my lungs.
"I explained that the smoke she saw was coming out of my lungs and not going in"
She looked puzzled, although accepted the explanation.
My son was laughing so hard that he was trying to hide under the table at the "Bistro" where we were seated on a terrace.
My wife was also laughing but was ...... at me for being such an ash-hole.:D:D

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
I'm in Switzerland now on holiday , and i get some really weird stares from people.
They have no clue what vaping is over here.
Europeans have a tendency to look much more at others than we do in the USA.

One old lady, stood there for a few minutes and tried to figure out what my Janty stick was.
She simply did not dare ask me. (typical Swiss mentality)
I could see she was dying to know, so i told her (In French) that i had been a heavy smoker for many years, and this metallic looking object was a medical device that actually removes the smoke from my lungs.
"I explained that the smoke she saw was coming out of my lungs and not going in"
She looked puzzled, although accepted the explanation.
My son was laughing so hard that he was trying to hide under the table at the "Bistro" where we were seated on a terrace.
My wife was also laughing but was ...... at me for being such an ash-hole.:D:D

Bad, bad man! :evil: It definitely is creepy how it seems that it is perfectly acceptable to stare at people, even seated across from you in trains, etc., and apparently staring or even openly leering via window or mirror reflections is the norm, as such folks would be surprised if you got upset about it. Anyway, that's just too funny! Still, the vast majority of folks even over here still give me stares but often ask questions--fortunately, nobody here in the US bother to watch the news anymore.... :oops:

master_meow

Moved On
Jul 14, 2009
ChiTown
I think your first mistake was answering the door at all. No warrant, no talkie. Now they know for sure when they are able to raid you that you'll have "illegal" stuff.\
If you dont know you have done anything wrong, there is no reason, NOT to answer the door. Could have been a large number of legit reasons or important.

But I got a laugh out of your story. What did you do, run over this person's dog or something. I mean they must have at least told the police quite a bit to get them to come over for something that they wouldnt even know themselves is illegal.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I'm a little behind the times, is vaping illegal in Oregon?

Hey, quovadis - that's hilarious.

No. Another can post the specifics, I'm drawing a blank. Old age...

Njoy and Smoking anywhere had suit brought against them by the AG claiming they were making unsubstantiated health claims. The 2 companies made a deal of sorts that boiled down to the suit being withdrawn if they stopped selling in Oregon.

Not exactly what was reported by the press but whadda ya gonna do?

Anybody else, please correct this as needed.

NCChief

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Western NC
The police are not your friend. I also think it's outrageous that your taxes went to pay for him to come out to your house for something that wasn't illegal.

Bullcrap. I am a cop and have no problem with vaping. You have to understand that this is a new thing and not all jurisdictions are aware of what vaping is.

The police are your friends if you are not a criminal.

piomode

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Bullcrap. I am a cop and have no problem with vaping. You have to understand that this is a new thing and not all jurisdictions are aware of what vaping is.

The police are your friends if you are not a criminal.

I disagree. You nor your brothers will be allowed in my car or my house without probable cause, or a reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing.

James Duane explains why innocent people should never talk to the police.

"Don't Talk to the Police" by Professor James Duane

LoneRanger

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Florida

Njoy and Smoking anywhere had suit brought against them by the AG claiming they were making unsubstantiated health claims. The 2 companies made a deal of sorts that boiled down to the suit being withdrawn if they stopped selling in Oregon.

I will tell you- Njoy has never made any health claims.Also warnings on box against use of product for different reasons......and minimum age requirements.Just an easy way to push it off for now.

I will tell you- Njoy has never made any health claims.Also warnings on box against use of product for different reasons......and minimum age requirements.Just an easy way to push it off for now.

Alright. I remember now. They were in a mall and
got in trouble, as I recall.

Great video. And while I like cops, even while
talking to just one I'm out numbered.

gtmason:
They found you from a post on an internet forum?

piomode

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread