Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Way back when, I'd soak totally gunked attys in vinegar to get the gradoo out of them. I've since learned to not let them get so bad.

I'd think the rock-bottom pH of vinegar would be detrimental in a mix, but what do I know? Anyone else?

I soak CE2 Cartomizers in Vinegar before I Dry Burn them. Cheaper than PGA or Vodka but doesn't go as well with Dr. Pepper though. ;)

That's the stuff that cleans hard water deposits out of the coffee machine, maybe it would clean thirty years of tar out of the lungs.

Also Removes Rust and does wonders for BBQ Grilles.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
I can't say how I found out, but some vendors use vinegar in their mixes. Some of the vendors are highly regarded on the ECF.

Now what I want to find out, is the vinegar a left over from the tobacco extraction process or actually used in the mix?

Well...I'm going to give it a try in the next few days.

What do you think? Apple cider vinegar?

A lot of us have come to the conclusion that our juices are missing something. Could this be it?

Pete

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Hmmmmm....vinegar? I would never have considered it but now you've got me wondering. It would certainly bring down the PH of a mix but it seems like it would make it sour. If I had to pick a vinegar to test, it would have to be apple cider as that one is less harsh than white vinegar. Pete, you're always throwing us bones to fetch and I just might have to try this in something just because, well it sounds so crazy it just might work. lol

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
apple cider vinegar-check
dropper-check
2 ml of juice in the bottom of the Reo-check

Aww heck, why not?

Actually, it kinda helped the juice I was vaping. As it steeped the cinnamon in it had become way too overpowering. The vinegar cut the hot taste from the cinnamon, but didn't add a vinegar taste to the juice. Ya may be on to something here. I'm going to have to play with this some more. If nothing else it will probably help clean out the carto. :D

EDIT: I started out with 3 drops in 2ml and got the above results. I added 3 more drops and it's put a whammer of a throat hit in my juice. I'm not a fan of throat hit, but could see where that aspect of it would be great for others. Still not getting a vinegar taste out of it at the higher concentration either. My juice isn't as sweet anymore either which is helpful. It kind of cuts out that underlying VG sweetness. I see me playing with this a bit.

Last edited:

landscaper

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2011
Atlanta
I did a little research and tried to find out about people using vinegar in their juice and I found some old posts. Here are some quotes I found.

Quote: Parapo--I have been boosting the acidic level up with white vinegar--I get some good results with some flavors and nothing with others when I add the vinegar. Also bumping it up with lemon juice--again works with some and not at all with others.. I think it goes to the PH level but some the the Lorann flavors will not respond. The weaker flavors seem to do better--I had very good results with the Apple and no results with the English Toffee--still working on it--Sun End Quote:

This one talks about Johnsons Creek using vinegar or them suspecting them using vinegar in the juice.

Quote: Yes! That's exactly what I've been noticing!!! This has turned me off to what used to be my favorite juice. I think the most recent batch will be my last for awhile.

It's like white vinegar on the exhale. I only notice it on TC and Vanilla IC on the latest batch I ordered. It also makes my throat hurt after a few hours, almost like I'm getting a cold. Stops almost as soon as I switch off. I smoke PG juices from several other suppliers with no problem, so I don't think the sore throat is a PG allergy, but who knows. Haven't noticed the aftertaste or sore throat yet with the Mint Choc Madness. (Making MCM the only JC flavor from last week's order that I can still stand to vape)

Is this same aftertaste in the VG, too? I've only tried the VG Orig. Tobacco... and I thought it tasted a bit... soapy or waxy.

Quote: Nate--Yes--it is in the VG as well. I know that they use vinegar as an ingrediant and I think they keep overdoing the use of it. The taste also starts to get stronger as time goes by. There quality control just is not there. I keep e-mailing them about the issue and I hope if we all do that get these "bad batches' , they will correct this issue.---

Sun

Quote: Thanks for clearing that up, Sun. Guess that's a definite ix-nay on the VG then. I was thinking about exchanging my PG.

Glad to know it's not just me, too. And you're right... the longer I vape the stuff, the more pronounced the vinegar flavor becomes. My wife suggested that perhaps the vinegar taste was always there and I only began to taste it after my sense of taste and smell started returning. This may well be true, as I started noticing the taste in batches at around the 2-month smokefree mark... where many ex-smokers say taste really starts to come back.

Anyhow, here's how it goes with the TennCured: The first few puffs from a freshly filled cart or drip are generally fine, I might notice a little vinegary aftertaste... but not that bad Then, it almost seems like the different ingredients are vaping off at different temps/times, with the vinegar being left behind slightly. As the main flavorings vape off, it tastes more and more like vinegar. As I mentioned b4, attys also heats up very quickly on JC juices. I don't have this problem with other juices.

I think this is where the problem probably lies... the juice would be fine if the ingredients vaporize at the same temp, but it doesn't seem to do that.

On the bright side(for me, at least), Steve just announced that PureSmoker will be carrying the e-juices again! The main reason I went back to JC was because I had just opened my last bottle of Riskee. Hopefully I can stretch the bottle out until they start shipping.

Dave

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Maybe magic mask utilizes vinegar *shrug* anyone willing to do a side-by-side swig test? Take a quick sip of each in the name of science?

I don't care for vinegar but i know what it tastes like so i didn't chug a glass full but i did taste the magic mask and i don't detect any vinegar nor does it smell like vinegar. Also, If i remember correctly FlavourArt states that MM does not change the ph. I had heard some vendors are using acids to balance the ph in liquids, just didn't dawn on me that some might use vinegar. Nicotine is a weak base and if your flavoring is also a high ph, an acid might help in balancing the ph.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I don't care for vinegar but i know what it tastes like so i didn't chug a glass full but i did taste the magic mask and i don't detect any vinegar nor does it smell like vinegar. Also, If i remember correctly FlavourArt states that MM does not change the ph. I had heard some vendors are using acids to balance the ph in liquids, just didn't dawn on me that some might use vinegar. Nicotine is a weak base and if your flavoring is also a high ph, an acid might help in balancing the ph.

Yea i taste tested MM too and no vinigar . What is in MM though .

I have been interested in finding little tricks just like this possible vinigar trick since i started DIY'ing . ANyone got any more tricks .

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Any guess if vinegar would knock down some of the perfumey taste I get from TPA?No matter what Ive tried I still get that perfumey taste from TPA like on the black cherry.

Leaving the cap off for a couple days might help a bit .I dont think vinigar would do anything but who knows . I dont think i would put vinigar in my actual flavoring bottle though .

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
Ive left them on and off even some tobacco's Ive had steeping for a little over 3 weeks are still perfumey.So I thought I would ask about the vinegar.Ive used EM,and other sweetener to try and knock down the perfumey taste.I mix at low % of flavor so I'm good there.At this point I'm willing to try vinegar or anything else lol.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Wow!
You guys are awesome! Great research by everyone!

Wouldnt it work the same as FA magic mask . MM is made to reduce PH i think .

This is from the Magic Mask description @ E-Cigexpress website: Reduce the acid perception without modifying the pH. pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability. In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid). In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste.

I think if you read this closely:pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability.
This means we need to control the PH level of our juice.

In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid).
We need to add an organic acid to our juice to reduce the PH. Two common organic acids I know of are Vinegar or Lemon Juice. (Lemon juice was going to be part of my original question, but I thought the vinegar alone would get more response. Vendors are also using Lemon Juice.)

In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste.
This seems to say it helps to keep bacteria from growing and helps it taste better.

Reduce the acid perception without modifying the pH.
THEN we add the Magic Mask to hide the taste of a lower PH (acid flavor) if needed.

What do you guys think?

Pete

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Wow!
You guys are awesome! Great research by everyone!

This is from the Magic Mask description @ E-Cigexpress website: Reduce the acid perception without modifying the pH. pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability. In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid). In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste.

I think if you read this closely:pH is one of the key factors involved in food stability.
This means we need to control the PH level of our juice.

In order to reduce the pH, a small amount of organic acid must be added to the food preparation (i.e. citric, malic, tartaric acid).
We need to add an organic acid to our juice to reduce the PH. Two common organic acids I know of are Vinegar or Lemon Juice. (Lemon juice was going to be part of my original question, but I thought the vinegar alone would get more response. Vendors are also using Lemon Juice.)

In most cases the addition of food acid is beneficial both for microbiological stability and taste.
This seems to say it helps to keep bacteria from growing and helps it taste better.

Reduce the acid perception without modifying the pH.
THEN we add the Magic Mask to hide the taste of a lower PH (acid flavor) if needed.

What do you guys think?

Pete

Great observation ! I will definitly try it . I have some magic mask already as well as bitter wizard and vape wizard . I never really knew how to use magic mask before but i knew it would come in handy eventually . Keep the tricks coming ,Maybe we can start DIY'ing higher quality juices .

This one may come in handy as well which is also in FA's Vape heaven section
http://www.ecigexpress.com/flavorin.../liquid-amber-by-flavourart-select-size-p-604

Maybe someone can shed some light on this question . I notice a few vendors list caramel color as a ingridient in their juices . What is the significance of that ? Iv noticed that they even use it in juices that have nothing to do with caramel .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread