Status
Not open for further replies.

sidetrack

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2011
among the sea shells
Tell us your story about your journey to zero nic. Give us the why you did it and how you did it.

I'll go first.
The reason I quit cigs originally was I was having bouts of tachycardia and I was starting to wheeze. Vapeing (18mg)got rid of the wheezing almost immediatly and the tachycardia went away for about 2 months but came back although not as bad. That's when I started to slowly cut back on the nic and I noticed it was reducing the frequency of the tachycardia. It took me about 5 months to get to 4-5 mg and the final leap to zero mg was on Jr. Mint's Daddy 0mg actually by mistake.
I have been nic free for about 5 month now...No wheezing and no tachycardia.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I'd been DIYing around 10mg/mL for a few months. Only flavor I've used is Cinnamon. Decided to drop the Flavor my next batch. Accidently left the nicotine out also. For the past 3 months I've been 0Nic0FA, Zero Nicotine Zero Flavor Added. That's the truth. . .I just accidently got off nicotine. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I started vaping last October 10/11 with 24mg nicotine. Ever since then I would cut back on the nicotine by about 25% every few months. I didn't have a plan of any sort just happened that when my bottle of nicotine ran out it didn't seem to matter anymore. I haven't used any nic since October. I mix my own juice and am using about 50pg/50vg. I also notice that I don't vape as much or as frequently. I may have vaped a whole 1ml of juice today. Other days it may be more.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
This is a great thread! I am still vaping low nic and zero nic at this point. I started with around 14-18 and dropped to 11-12 then to 6 nic where I am now but I also wanted to try some zero nic to see if I could do it. Especially with recent issues of FDA regulating nic base if it decides to. I started with a 80PG/20VG zero nic base and no flavor. It was very refreshing without any flavor on those days where my taste buds were off wack. Since that time I am finding I really like zero nic so I mixed one flavor, Key Lime zero nic and vape it everyday now. I am finding that I don't need a nic fix as much I thought, so am cutting back slowly but surely. I am still low level nic when I use it, but find that zero nic is really a favorite now. bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Well I am not totally off nic but keeping it low. I think it takes time to reduce it and stay at a certain level until you feel you don't want that much nic. I was at 12-14 for quite awhile and then I felt that I just didn't need that level anymore so went to 6 which I really like that level as I don't get any negative affects from it. I still have juice at 12 so am diluting it with more PG now plus I use my zero nic daily as well. At this point I am not sure if I want to quit nic totally, but I want to know I can do zero and enjoy it :) So my suggestion is keep one carto zero with a flavor you really like and vape it everyday in conjunction with other nic cartos. This works for me really well. When I need a Key Lime fix, I know that is zero nic but love the flavor :) bnrk

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I have been jumping back and fourth on the idea of zero nic but every time I get to about 6 I start to get the urge to smoke.... which is weird cause I haven't even touched a cig in..... well a long time lol not even sure about my quit date never even thought to write it down lol

Maybe keep most of your cartos at 6 but have a couple at 12 and one at zero. Switch around between them during the day. You will be cutting down without a major problem and still getting a nic fix so no smoking carvings :) Anyway that worked for me. I do find cutting back too quickly tho is not something that works well. My body started telling me that 14 was too high so I backed off. I think once your body is ready it lets you know :) bnrk

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
Not everyone can stop using nicotine. If you are one of those people it's still a lot better than tobacco. So my suggestion is take your time. I spent over a year to get down to zero nic. I lowered the nic content in one bottle of juice at a time and only when it didn't seem like I was vaping more to make up for it. I was never really concerned about getting down to zero, it just seemed to happen.

DevilFishPhil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Montreal, QC
I definitely agree that it shouldn't be forced, unless of course a health condition requires it. Otherwise go at your own pace, but the advice I always give everyone, whether a smoker trying to convert to vaping or a vaper trying to quit is: just try it! That's what worked for me, and I'm not saying it'll work for everyone but you'll never know until you try.

Shamruck

Dec 12, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I started out vapeing at the suggestion of family members to try and save cash. Once I got into it I was amazed at the many many benefits, such as how much healthier it is for you, and the savings, and also being able to smoke around ppl guilt free, and smoking in public buildings! (e cigs aren't regulated like tobacco in NC yet) my wife had quit smoking "cold turkey" a few weeks before I started vapeing, and didn't want to try my flavors because of the nicotine, so I stepped down 18mg > 12mg > 6mg > 0mg with about 5 days in between, total of about 2 1/2 weeks of vapeing and I was at 0 nic, now my wife, and some family member that don't even smoke can try some of the flavors. I still get all the enjoyment of vapeing, just without the dependency of nicotine to spoil my hobby :)

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I have to ask exactly what were you vaping then? I am unclear (as a newbie) I guess pure VG or PG or a mix of the two how that would happen?? Thanks

That's exactly what I was vaping, a blend of PG/VG w/10% PGA. Since then I've dropped the PGA in favor of blending 75%PG/25%VG. I don't think I can find a cheaper eLiquid. JMHO

Cheers,
otrpu

Kams Cats

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Excuse me for coming in late. I didn't know this little sub-forum existed.

I am a non-nic vaper. :) I started up at 28mg and worked my way down to 0 nic. It wasn't a problem at all. I think for me the biggest hurdle in quitting smoking was the fact that I flat out enjoyed it. I liked having that smoke to calm me down or perk me up. I even enjoyed watching the smoke. I am sure a lot of you understand what I am trying to say.

I didn't like what it was doing to me. So I quit smoking with the e-cig.

Unfortunately I have elevated BP so while I felt a lot better without the Analog I was still having some issues. So when I got down to 0 nic I notice my BP is much more normal.

At this time I don't plan on quitting vaping. I still enjoy it and I don't have a reason yet and I still use it as my crutch. It beats candy and alcohol. :)

Good to have a place for people here who are 0 nic or on the road to it.

I'm one of those people who needs to get down to zero nic as soon as possible, as I'm Type 2 diabetic.
I noticed that I was getting some really high readings on my blood sugar and, after a bit of research, I discovered that it was probably the nicotine that was doing it.
(Nicotine works on the liver to inhibit insulin production, which is why it's a good appetite suppressant. Hence the higher blood sugar readings in smokers, and even worse results for diabetics!)

I must have been vaping more nicotine than I had been getting when I was smoking. I must admit I love vaping and my pv is constantly in my hand these last few weeks!

So.. I need to get off the stuff if I don't want an earbashing from my doctor!

What I've done is take a normal 50ml bottle of my usual favourite flavour at 16mg, and each time I get a third of the way down it, I dilute it with PG/VG back to the top and add a few drops of flavour back in. I reckon that, sooner or later it will end up as more or less zero nic, and because I won't know at what point that will happen (I'm not keeping track of how dilute it is), I might be able to fool my brain into not noticing that it's not there :)

Last edited:

Brighid

Feb 20, 2012
Indiana
Thanks for the stories. I'm new to vaping with the intention of going nic-free. I have had no difficulty switching from analogs to 18mg menthol vapes. Have some 18mg pink spot vapors coming too. Once those are gone, I plan to step down to 12... then 6... then, well, probably zero. might have to mix some 6 with 0 for a while, but that's ok. I'm going to do this at my own pace.

Congrats to all of you who have made it successfully to 0 nic! That's awesome & inspiring =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread