How about nuking bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Has anybody tried sterilizing their eliquid bottles in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes? Does it work? Wondering if the bottles are microwave proof.

About the only thing I use my microwave for is sterilizing my kitchen sponges and auto-defrosting food I've forgotten to take out of the freezer for my pups. I've read on the news and science sites that microwaving sponges will kill all bacteria including e coli and salmonella.

Please and thank you.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I've heard that if they aren't microwave safe, like those disposable plastic containers or plastic that food comes in, they should never be microwaved. Even on the food label it will often say do not microwave reused container. Apparently it release something toxic. It might be good for the glass bottles though. I do the same thing with my kitchen sponges. :)

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Okay I'm back GD - just hung up from chatting with Tom. He suggested going to a restaurant supply and buying multiquat sanitizer. Ecolab distributes it, but not sure if they also manufacture it. They don't sell to the public - only by bulk to labs and wholesalers.

It evaporates, so no drying is required. Oh grief, I just accidentally toppled a bottle of Everclear on my work table - lost half the bottle:(. At $19 a bottle of EC, it's time to look for the multiquat.

So anyway, that's what Tom said - didn't mention the glue - thought I would let you go ahead on that.:D

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
LOL Thanks Seabrook. I'll have to check that out. Sorry about your spill. :( Do you buy your Everclear here in Calif? I can't find it but did see some online. I wonder if they would ship it to Calif. I have noticed that they changed their plastic sealing stuff and it comes off in one piece now so instead of stabbing myself repeatedly I was able to easily get it off. LOL

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Plastic bottles? No. Most of the time you'll wind up with a puddle of ook that's a real challenge to clean out of your microwave.

You can microwave glass bottles. But not the caps! When I made wine, I used to microwave clean and bone dry used wine bottles all the time. Then I discovered that a solution of sodium bisulfate did just as good a job.

But, really, a quick swish of Everclear probably works just as well and sterilizes the cap to boot. And it's easier. Pour an ounce or so into the bottle, cap it, shake vigorously, then pour the Everclear into the next bottle to sterilize.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Thanks, I have a BevCo not far from me so I'll try that. I was told by it wasn't sold in Calif when I asked for it at a liquor store. I guess he lied to me. :)

Yep, he probably just didn't know. It's not kept by the vodkas like one would guess. It's with the whiskeys where I shop.

... Then I discovered that a solution of sodium bisulfate did just as good a job.

But, really, a quick swish of Everclear probably works just as well and sterilizes the cap to boot. And it's easier. Pour an ounce or so into the bottle, cap it, shake vigorously, then pour the Everclear into the next bottle to sterilize.

Oh, thanks, I'll definitely have to check that out. I was told that I had to leave the EC in the bottles for at least 3 min. to fully sterilize. I fully submerge the inset droppers and the caps in a separate glass cup. You should see all the debris in the bottom of the cup when I remove them with a slotted spoon. Even hair. I wonder if it's hair from China or hair from the US distributor, LOL.

Thanks you guys for the replies and suggestions.

wizard10000

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
midwestern us
Thanks, I have a BevCo not far from me so I'll try that. I was told by it wasn't sold in Calif when I asked for it at a liquor store. I guess he lied to me. :)

He didn't lie to you - you can't buy the 190 proof stuff in CA. I live in Michigan and you can't buy PGA here either - I get it from out of state. Everclear does make a 151 proof version that is sold in Michigan and in CA.

From wikipedia -

Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

190-proof
In the United States, it is illegal to sell the 190-proof variety in California, Florida,[4] Hawaii, Iowa,[5] Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,[6] Nevada,[7] New Hampshire, North Carolina,[8][9] Ohio, Washington, West Virginia, and Virginia.
It is legal to sell Everclear 190 in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, New Jersey,Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut,[10] Delaware, Georgia, Idaho,[11] Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming, the District of Columbia, and in some military stores within the continental United States.

151-proof
The 151-proof variety is legally available for sale in California, Florida, Iowa,[5] Michigan,[12] Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and some other states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread