Can you be an Analog Virgin but Vaping Stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adixx

Jan 9, 2012
Ontario - Canada
I know it's possible - but most of the posts I've read seem to come from ex-analog types that got into vaping for smoking cessation first.

I guess my question is: Are there people that have never had analogs or very few, that now vape?

Forgive me if this has been discussed - still new to the site and couldn't find the thread.

Edit 1/14/12
Moving to Zero Nicotine Vaping and Quitting Vaping

Zero Nicotine Vaping and Quitting Vaping

Last edited by a moderator:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Adixx, a belated welcome to ECF!

Are you currently addicted to nicotine via cigarettes, pipes, cigars or smokeless tobaccos? If not, do you have some medicinal reason (ADHD, depression, some kinds of asthma, etc.) for becoming addicted?

For many people, including me, nicotine is the most addictive substance on earth, and vaping was the only way for me to break the cigarette habit. I remain addicted to nicotine, but that's better than also ingesting all kinds of other nasty chemicals along with the nicotine in the cigarettes.

If a non-addict wants to try vaping, I strongly suggest using zero-nicotine e-liquid!

Adixx

Jan 9, 2012
Ontario - Canada
Sorry - I wasn't asking for advice for someone that wanted to Vape and had never had analogs, more so - if there are people out there that just started vaping for the sake of vaping without ever using analogs.

I am the 99% (borrowed from the Occupy Movement) or higher people that initially turned to vaping as means of quitting.

I was just curious as to whether vaping has a following amongst people that have never used cigarettes.

erbarry88

Dec 26, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Im that person that picked up vaping and have never wanted or desired to smoke analogs but I do use other tobacco products. I learned about vaping trying to get my wife to stop smoking analogs and so far just cant find anything she likes. I will not stop until I find something she likes but until then Ill be vaping away. I occasionally smoke a Black & Mild, hookah, or partake in a cigar every now and then, I love the taste and smell of these three but when it comes to analogs I just cant stand either one. I think this is why vaping caught my attention as I love the flavors you can vape and the smell it produces. I get my juice with very little nic levels simply because the little nic helps me get a relaxed feeling the same way caffeine does. I use coffee the opposite way most people use it as I would drink it at night and sleep like a baby but yet I dont drink coffee everyday and dont crave it. As for being cool, I vape in the car, while on the pc, and when watching tv/movie so I dont know how cool I seem to people not around me. :)

Last edited:

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I think the reason you see so many ex-smokers raving about the value of vaping in quitting is that so many of us were previously of the opinion that we would never be able to quit. We have frequently tried all the other alternatives out there and have failed to give up the cigarettes. I know that when I realized I could actually quit smoking, I was so elated I wanted to shout it out to the world!

In hindsight, we realize that the decision to begin smoking when we were young was the worst decision we ever made in our lives. Decades later we found we were slaves to the tobacco industry. The discovery of vaping becomes the key to freedom for us.

Vaping, however, can be addicting itself though. For that reason, I would never recommend vaping to a non-smoker. That is also the reason that I find it difficult to understand why a person (adult) who has made the right decision to avoid smoking all their lives would even consider picking up an addicting habit later in life.

@erbarry....I applaud your attempt to provide your wife with a healthier alternative to smoking. However, the decision to quit smoking must be her own. My husband is still a smoker. I have introduced him to vaping and he has seen my success. He does occasionally vape when he's somewhere smoking is not allowed, but until recently has not expressed the desire to quit smoking. I've noticed lately that he is keeping a pv next to the computer and has started using it in place of smoking. I am hoping that he will eventually decide to quit smoking altogether, but it's going to have to be his decision. A person who is being coerced into quitting is a person who is destined to fail.

Cyatis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Stratford, Wisconsin
There are people who vape that have never smoked at all, though they tend to be rare.

Once you start smoking, and then replace it with vaping, you end up in my catagory who started vaping to quit or cut back on smoking. Once your hooked on smoking, it can be very hard to quit period. This is the majority of vapers.

Some start vaping just to be cool, and no I don't get that. They tend to be rare but they do exist. There are some that have never smoked at all that do it for medical reasons, these people tend to be rare also, but they also exist.

Here are some honest opinions...

I don't encourage vaping to those who never smoked, because there will be someday they cannot vape, and then what?

No money, forgot something important, mailman lost my package, etc... It happens to the best of us, and knowing that up front is only fair.

The flip side of the coin, is there are people who see value in the proper use of nicotine regarding memory and concentration or improvement with other medical issues. For many people, it can make their day a lot easier to deal with, and that has merit to. I understand people like this, and most adults can make a reasonable decision regarding this. Sadly most of these people, learn this fact by smoking in the first place. There are a few in this group who have never smoked at all, and ran into the fact that nicotine might help them cope with their medical issues and decided to try it.

Vaping is much better for you than smoking is, in that regard, and if your going to go down that road as an adult, vaping is the way to go. Your health risks are much lower, and there is a lot of other chemicals that you get while smoking other than nicotine.

Of course this brings up the topic of people starting with 0mg nic. I don't see a lot of value in that for either starting group who never smoked, as one doesn't need to vape, and the other needs the nic. 0mg tends to have more value for people who have used nic before, and are trying to break their dependence on it.

If you smoke, there is a lot of value in switching to vaping of course.

I hope that answers your question, its the best answer I have for you.

Last edited:

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
This reminds me of that movie with Gwyneth Paltrow and Bed Affleck... she had a friend who used nic gum to quit smoking because it calmed her, so she started chewing the gum for her nerves. Then she developed TMJ so had to give up the gum, but by that time she was addicted to the nic so she was smoking to get off the gum. Ben's response was something like "That's great. At this rate you'll be hooked on ...... by the end of the month." LOL

Point being... I don't see a reason to develop an addiction that doesn't currently exist. That being said, I don't see the harm in vaping 0 mg if it floats your boat. After all, isn't it our argument that it is safe???? Don't we all enjoy it? I know I enjoy it infinitely more than analogs. And I want to eventually get to 0 nic. Once I get there if I feel the urge, need, or even just the desire to puff on a pv for the rest of my life, then I will happily vape away.

And I know this is all hypothetical, since the OP has already said he is/was a smoker. I just don't see why so many are so against it. It seems to be hurting our cause. :)

ETA: oops, didn't know drug names were banned. I Think this is OK since I was just mentioning it as part of the story. Not supporting drug use in any way, shape or form. I'm very much against it, actually.

Last edited:

wreimer

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
I would think its possible to find someone who never smoked but took up vaping for some odd reason. I wouldn't expect the numbers would be terribly high though.
Nicotine is hoiffically addictive. I'm a cancer survivor who, despite battling a disease CAUSED by smoking, could not quit the habit. Vaping for me is the only way I can avoid analogs

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry - I wasn't asking for advice for someone that wanted to Vape and had never had analogs, more so - if there are people out there that just started vaping for the sake of vaping without ever using analogs.

Why would Anyone want to Vape when they are Not Addicted to Nicotine?

To Look Cool?

:facepalm:

erbarry88

Dec 26, 2011
Yuma, AZ
@erbarry....I applaud your attempt to provide your wife with a healthier alternative to smoking. However, the decision to quit smoking must be her own. My husband is still a smoker. I have introduced him to vaping and he has seen my success. He does occasionally vape when he's somewhere smoking is not allowed, but until recently has not expressed the desire to quit smoking. I've noticed lately that he is keeping a pv next to the computer and has started using it in place of smoking. I am hoping that he will eventually decide to quit smoking altogether, but it's going to have to be his decision. A person who is being coerced into quitting is a person who is destined to fail.
Well she had actually quit for me and then she got pregnant which I think helped the situation. She wasnt smoking for over a year and then out of no where began to smoke. She doesnt mind vaping but she says the throat hit and flavor isnt there for her. So once I find somehting she likes Im sure she wouldnt mind vaping. She smokes Marlboro Golds/Lights whatever they are, so if you know somehting close to this flavor let me know :)

Adixx

Jan 9, 2012
Ontario - Canada
Thanks, some interesting insight and responses. I was curious as to the make up of 'The Vaper'

1. Is vaping an ex-smoker exclusive club.
2. Will vaping (by non-vapers) always be viewed as an analog replacement, or will it eventually be viewed as its own entity or experience.
3. Could impressionable types (please dont take offense if this is you) turn to vaping for the cool factor or buzz much the same way we might have with analogs.
4. I think vaping is cost prohibitive for teens etc, but could that take mommy and daddy's PV and sit around with their friends passing it around.
5. Would non-vapers be curious to experiment - I mean I think most people can figure out what happens when someone pulls out the mall kiosk cig-look-alike, but what if someone pulls out a Darwin. Would people be inclined to try vaping for the sake of vaping?

I guess people who vape come from different backgrounds, motivations, demographics.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I know it's possible - but most of the posts I've read seem to come from ex-analog types that got into vaping for smoking cessation first.

I guess my question is: Are there people that have never had analogs or very few, that now vape?

Forgive me if this has been discussed - still new to the site and couldn't find the thread.

Yes, and I know a few including my bf ... just because someone doesn't smoke, doesn't mean that they can't and should not enjoy vaping. Hooka bars are filled with ppl who enjoy Hooka smoking, yet they don't actually smoke cigarettes.

What is more perplexing to me are those who come out and criticize and question non smokers, who enjoy vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread