Connecticut joins the "Ban" Wagon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTech

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
USA
TheDay.com - Blumenthal Pledges Fight For A Ban On E-Cigarettes

”I will vigorously fight to ban e-cigarettes, unless approved by FDA, and any attempt to retail the devices in Connecticut, as well as work with federal authorities to regulate Internet sales,” Blumenthal said at a press conference in Hartford.

Par for the course for AG's trying to make a name for themselves. It doesn't suprise me they are also trying to protect BPharma contributions and tax revenues under the vail of "safety". Overall, a positive article...

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I did a little research... and I mean a little... after reading this on Blumenthal. See who we are dealing with.

Obviously he is anti-smoking based on what he has done in the past AND his dislike for the ecig with only the FDA "report" to go on, however, I also came across some attempts where he actually goes AFTER pharma as well. So there is some hope here. He might just possibly have an open mind IF he is given more data.

Press Release from State Senator Don Williams
Attorney General: State Files Lawsuit Against Several Major Pharmaceutical Companies For Inflating Drug Prices

What we all cannot forget though is that most, if not all AG's are lawyers with very little scientific read. So it IS up to us to help them see the flaws in the FDA science. They are going to do for their people what they believe is right based on surface information. We have to change that.

PS: Sun... It might be "bad" news... but we can certainly be proactive and do something about it. From the ECA, he will be getting contacted and provided information. With Spikey leading the consumer front... he will have a very open picture as to what is really going on. :)

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Par for the course for AG's trying to make a name for themselves. It doesn't suprise me they are also trying to protect BPharma contributions and tax revenues under the vail of "safety". Overall, a positive article...

Hightech---it is a "Vote Generator" issue. The majority of voters do not smoke and they do not want or care about us as a minoirity, even if it will save lives. So trying to sway this politicans is difficult at best if it does not further their effort to obtain votes and get re-elected.

Sun

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Hightech---it is a "Vote Generator" issue. The majority of voters do not smoke and they do not want or care about us as a minoirity, even if it will save lives. So trying to sway this politicans is difficult at best if it does not further their effort to obtain votes and get re-elected.

Sun

But, he could also make a name for himself by being the first AG to see what is really going on here AND approve the sale/use of the PV based on it's potential! Yes... I know... you will say "long shot", but is it not worth a try?

You never know!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
But, he could also make a name for himself by being the first AG to see what is really going on here AND approve the sale/use of the PV based on it's potential! Yes... I know... you will say "long shot", but is it not worth a try?

You never know!

I say that politicans go with the numbers--the long standing estabished voter's wishes. They do not risk their poll numbers on some long shot cause historically. But who knows, maybe this one is different. Begs the question as to why he jumped on the ban wagon to begin with?

Sun

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Yup some positive parts of the article in the second half. I'm pleased that they're willing to show both the anti-smokers and actual ecig users

I think this is the problem. I don't consider vaping to be smoking, and neither does anyone else.

What we need is for people against smoking in public, and for an improved public health, to be on our side - not be the "other side" we're fighting against.

After all. We agree with them. Its why many of us looked to PV's in the first place.

Sent to AG..

My name is Spike XXXXXX. I am the President of the Long Island Vapers Club in New York. Our members come from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. We are interested in meeting to provide information and answer questions about the "electronic cigarette" or personal vaporizer. We are a non-profit organization which promotes education and learning about nicotine vaporizers and educates the public on the safety and potential dangers of this device.

Information can be found on the "Info" page of our website here...
Vaping Info

additional facts and information are here...
PV facts

and this is a list of articles relevant to show that the levels of carcinogens found by the FDA in liquid used in this device are in lower quantity than in a Liter of EPA approved drinking water
Studies suggesting PV safety

I can be reached for comment, questions or to arrange a meeting at this email or at XXX XXX-XXXX.

Spike XXXXXX
President - Long Island Vapers Club
Long Island, New York - Vapers Club

Last edited:
I say that politicans go with the numbers--the long standing estabished voter's wishes. They do not risk their poll numbers on some long shot cause historically. But who knows, maybe this one is different. Begs the question as to why he jumped on the ban wagon to begin with?

Sun

Maybe he's Cooper's "down low" friend? Hmmm... research...

Tone

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
LI NY
I used to live in and still work in CT and I will give you all a few facts about it.

They charge you property tax on your car yearly even if it is leased, around $1300.00 a year, and they have a campaign that you should turn in you neighbor if they have out of state plates and live in the state more then a few months a year.
It was one of the first states if not the first state to pull imminent domain to take peoples property and sell it to private investment groups.
You can not buy beer or liquor on Sundays (this is why I moved LOL).
They are always looking for some attention, they refuse to believe that they are just a NY suburb.

BigJimW

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 17, 2009
Warwick, RI
www.moonport.org
Well the good news is, there are a lot of positive comments in that article. Hopefully that will make people wonder why the government is looking at trying to ban a device that has obviously changed peoples lives so much for the better.

That is exactly the impression I got. As more and more AGs go after these things, with the recent bill signed into law giving the FDA power to regulate cigarettes, it will be so obvious to what the government is attempting to do that even NON smokers will easily see it.

As more on the e-cig war continues, it will only expand awareness of the devices. In fact, admins, how many new members have joined here since the FDA report was issued? Quite a few from what I can see. :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread