Here's a pic of my polypropylene tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
For those of you who are wondering about the polypropylene tubing I've been using to replace my polycarbonate tubing on my tanks, I thought I'd post a pic for you.

This one uses a couple of liquinator caps. This tubing will fit on all of the popular tanks that use a 5/8" x 3/4" od tubing.

400580716.jpg

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
The grommets are too small. They fit with so little pressure that I don't trust them. BigdaddyVapor has caps separately, but I think they're $16.99 or $17.99, still pricey though. That being said, I have a few, and this tubing works very well. I have another item coming that might work well for endcaps, I'll keep you posted on this forum. If it works, it'll be epic!

Adeem

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
The grommets are too small. They fit with so little pressure that I don't trust them.

I find that the grommets are much tighter once the carto is in the middle. Try it you'll see what I mean. I also use o-rings in the indendation of the grommets, 7/16 id 5/8 od are the right size for the o-rings.

For anyone interested in trying grommets make sure you get vinyl not rubber. You'll taste the rubber. Radio Shack sells vinyl grommets.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Or you can get six free vinyl grommets from here.
Vinyl Grommet
You want GV.7/16 to fit the tubing. The GV 7/16 are 5/16" inner for carto and 5/8" outer with O-ring slot. Don't ask me why they are called GV 7/16, unless that's the interior O-ring dimension.

I use 1/2" X 5/8" O-rings. They fit about the same, but are way easier when you change cartos.

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Sorry, I just don't trust them. I did try 1 tank using these grommets, and it came apart(wasn't using the O rings). One of the grommets slid sideways, and the rest is history. It just doesn't seem that there is enough of the grommet making contact with the tube for good enough security. Perhaps if the grommet were thicker, I'd have more confidence. Just my .02 on these grommets. YMMV. :)

I have another idea for endcaps using the polypropylene tubing, waiting on UPS. Someone(can't remember) suggested to use these, Q Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38809B by Danco Company. Before they are placed on the tube, they seem perfect. You need to put the carto into one of the the washers, push the washer into the tubing, and then push the other washer on. It works, it's extremely secure, and it looks good, but it's too tight to do a hot switch, and refilling needs to be done with a syringe.

So, I have a different size coming, P Slip Joint Washer Bag # 38808B by Danco Company. I am hoping that this size will allow for easier refilling and hot switching of cartos.

It'll either be an epic fail or an epic win... I will post my findings.

I find that the grommets are much tighter once the carto is in the middle. Try it you'll see what I mean. I also use o-rings in the indendation of the grommets, 7/16 id 5/8 od are the right size for the o-rings.

For anyone interested in trying grommets make sure you get vinyl not rubber. You'll taste the rubber. Radio Shack sells vinyl grommets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread