E-Liquid Nicotine Amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
In 2010 Mrj7j posted a helpful bit of info on nicotine levels in tobacco versus e-liquids, however, he made some mistakes and there's more to add to complete the picture.

( Mrj7j post ; Nicotine in e-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-e-liquid-vs-nicotine-tobacco-cigarettes.html )

Most canadian KingSize cigarettes have 1 gm of tobacco. Most contain 1.6 to 3.6 milligrams total nicotine . There's about 20 drops of e-liquid per ml, and about 4-5 puffs/drop. At e-liquid of 16mg/ml, 1 drop is about .8mg total nicotine. (16 ÷ 20). 1 tobacco cig is about 8-10 puffs, and 1 drop of e-liquid is about 4-5 puffs, so 2 drops = 1 tobacco cig. As 1 drop = 0.8-1.8 mg total nicotine, 2 drops = 1.6-3.6 mg total nicotine. These amounts fairly compare with the 1.6 to 3.6 mg/gm/cig total nicotine in tobacco cigs.

However, total nicotine is not absorbed nicotine. No clinical studies which have measured absorbed nicotine in e-liquids, but tobacco tests estimate about 80% is absorbed.

In tobacco smoking, much of the total nicotine present in 1 cig is not inhaled as it burns out into the air and in the ashtray, and the last 1/2-3/5 " or so of the cig is disguarded. I estimate a cig with 2.4mg/gm of total nicotine content has only about 60% of it's tobacco actually use-inhaled, so 60% x 80% is about 48% (50%) absorbed nicotine, or 1.2mg/cig smoked.

E-liquid amounts absorbed can only be guessed at, though almost none is lost in holding and ashtray burning as with tobacco, although some amount is lost inside the atty's container and mouthpiece/cartridge polyfibre. ( provided you haven't de-bridged your atty )

Hope this helps.... :)

SeamonsterZ24

Jan 21, 2012
Wisconsin
In 2010 Mrj7j posted a helpful bit of info on nicotine levels in tobacco versus e-liquids, however, he made some mistakes and there's more to add to complete the picture.

( Mrj7j post ; Nicotine in E-liquid vs. Nicotine in Tobacco Cigarettes... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-e-liquid-vs-nicotine-tobacco-cigarettes.html )

Most canadian KingSize cigarettes have 1 gm of tobacco. Most contain 1.6 to 3.6 milligrams total nicotine . There's about 20 drops of e-liquid per ml, and about 4-5 puffs/drop. At e-liquid of 16mg/ml, 1 drop is about .8mg total nicotine. (16 ÷ 20). 1 tobacco cig is about 8-10 puffs, and 1 drop of e-liquid is about 4-5 puffs, so 2 drops = 1 tobacco cig. As 1 drop = 0.8-1.8 mg total nicotine, 2 drops = 1.6-3.6 mg total nicotine. These amounts fairly compare with the 1.6 to 3.6 mg/gm/cig total nicotine in tobacco cigs.

However, total nicotine is not absorbed nicotine. No clinical studies which have measured absorbed nicotine in e-liquids, but tobacco tests estimate about 80% is absorbed.

In tobacco smoking, much of the total nicotine present in 1 cig is not inhaled as it burns out into the air and in the ashtray, and the last 1/2-3/5 " or so of the cig is disguarded. I estimate a cig with 2.4mg/gm of total nicotine content has only about 60% of it's tobacco actually use-inhaled, so 60% x 80% is about 48% (50%) absorbed nicotine, or 1.2mg/cig smoked.

E-liquid amounts absorbed can only be guessed at, though almost none is lost in holding and ashtray burning as with tobacco, although some amount is lost inside the atty's container and mouthpiece/cartridge polyfibre. ( provided you haven't de-bridged your atty )

Hope this helps.... :)

Where did you get the percentages for the absorbed nicotine?

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
You can't compare how nicotine is absorbed in smoking vs vaping. Vaping is less efficient in getting nicotine into your system. That's why comparing what cigarette is smoked and it's nicotine content to what eliquid to use doesn't work.

wv2win :

Can you please give me the science research study summary or/and URL which evidences your comment. (soto prove your comment is infact actual responsible and reliable knowledge, not merely opinion, whether your own or some other sources you've simply accepted.)

I have yet to find any accoutable, responsible ( genuine ) clinical research dealing with the lung's responses to the ingredients in e-liquid, not to mention the efficacy of the lung's receptors and aveoli processes concerning e-liquid nicotine.

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
wv2win :

Can you please give me the science research study summary or/and URL which evidences your comment. (soto prove your comment is infact actual responsible and reliable knowledge, not merely opinion, whether your own or some other sources you've simply accepted.)

I have yet to find any accoutable, responsible ( genuine ) clinical research dealing with the lung's responses to the ingredients in e-liquid, not to mention the efficacy of the lung's processes concerning e-liquid nicotine.

You'll find all the studies (limited) done with links to the studies on the CASAA website. Click on the link in wv2win's signature and it'll take you to the site.

here
CASAA.org

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
And here's a link to a research study reported last year, indicating that approximately ZERO nicotine is delivered with PVs.

Study: 'Electronic cigarettes' don't deliver - CNN

I highly doubt that it true, but at the temperature atomizers vaporize at, I do know that nicotine (at least some) is virtually destroyed during the process. At least that I have read in several places.

Carbon

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
And here's a link to a research study reported last year, indicating that approximately ZERO nicotine is delivered with PVs.

I highly doubt that it true, but at the temperature atomizers vaporize at, I do know that nicotine (at least some) is virtually destroyed during the process. At least that I have read in several places.

Carbon

Cannot understand... there's quite a number of seemingly responsible studies which have precisley measured smoking-cessation rates among long-term tiobaccco users using the e-cig nicotine delivery system. Take your opinion to those Drs' :)

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Cannot understand... there's quite a number of seemingly responsible studies which have precisley measured smoking-cessation rates among long-term tiobaccco users using the e-cig nicotine delivery system. Take your opinion to those Drs' :)

Well like I TRIED to convey, confusingly so perhaps, is that I doubt that ALL nicotine is destroyed, just that some amount of it is.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ

I don't think I quite understand your point. Do you want to discuss the previous posters question/response? Do you agree, disagree? This is the beginners forum. People are trying to respond to your post, giving you what they 'think' you want (going out of their way to provide you with links) and you're asking for citations and telling them to take their opinion to doctors?

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada

Carbon

Wow, didn't have a clue I'd be getting so much OPPOSITION here :(

Zero or low or inefficient nicotine level comments stand in diirect conflict with statistical studies measuring smoking cessation rates using e-cigs... there's also FDA conducted tests measuring nicotine amounts and impurities at
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf

" The sparging apparatus was used to quantify the amount of nicotine released during use of these electronic cigarettes (Table 2). Levels found were consistent with the labeling (low, medium and high); "

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
I don't think I quite understand your point. Do you want to discuss the previous posters question/response? Do you agree, disagree? This is the beginners forum. People are trying to respond to your post, giving you what they 'think' you want (going out of their way to provide you with links) and you're asking for citations and telling them to take their opinion to doctors?

My point was tobacco smokers would not get the needed nicotine from e-cigs if it were being destroyed by the heater coil... smoker cessation rates would show NO difference between e-cig users and placebos and NO cessation due to e-cig use.

Somewhere in this the information being reported doesn't add up !

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada
Well like I TRIED to convey, confusingly so perhaps, is that I doubt that ALL nicotine is destroyed, just that some amount of it is.

Sorry about my comment...

At what minimum temp is nicotine destroyed ?

" The temperature of the heating element in each e-cigarette was determined by inserting a thermocouple and then activating the e-cigarette by drawing air through it. These temperatures ranged from 40 to 65°C."

What temps do a tobacco cig tip burn at ?

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Wow, didn't have a clue I'd be getting so much OPPOSITION here :(

Zero or low or inefficient nicotine level comments stand in diirect conflict with statistical studies measuring smoking cessation rates using e-cigs... there's also FDA conducted tests measuring nicotine amounts and impurities at
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/UCM173250.pdf

" The sparging apparatus was used to quantify the amount of nicotine released during use of these electronic cigarettes (Table 2). Levels found were consistent with the labeling (low, medium and high); "

Now this is an informative link and quote, thanks! Sounds pretty reputable and in direct conflict with the link I posted. Of course studies can be inconsistent, and like I said I doubted the study from that Virgina Doctor in my second link was very accurate.

Thanks again.

Carbon

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sorry about my comment...

At what minimum temp is nicotine destroyed ?

" The temperature of the heating element in each e-cigarette was determined by inserting a thermocouple and then activating the e-cigarette by drawing air through it. These temperatures ranged from 40 to 65°C."

What temps do a tobacco cig tip burn at ?

If that temp range is accurate, and I have no reason to think it isn't other than the anecdotal information I found somewhere (don't recall where it was sadly), then yes, the nicotine delivery would hardly be affected I'd say.

However, I did find this:

"As shown by the physical data, free base nicotine will burn at a temperature below its boiling point, and its vapors will combust at 308 K (35 °C; 95 °F) in air despite a low vapor pressure. Because of this, most of the nicotine is burned when a cigarette is smoked; however, enough is inhaled to cause pharmacological effects."

So if the first temp is accurate under standard conditions, then the 40 to 60 °C of the e-cig would appear to destroy some of the nicotine, but as stated in the lat sentence, not all to abrogate all pharmacologic effect.

Interesting and informative thread, thanks for starting it ;)

Carbon

COPDer

Jan 22, 2012
Canada

Carbon

excerpt from DublinEcigBenchtopHandout.pdf at CASAA.org

Safety of e-cigarettes as a product class
Safety results refer to the Ruyan® V8 Classic.

However, the low operating temperature (54°C) of
the atomiser - 5 to 10% of the temperature of a
burning cigarette - suggests e-cigarettes as a class
are unlikely to emit cigarette toxicants in their
mist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread