EGO E-Power 18650 vs Smoke Tech E-Power 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Can someone elaborate on the differences, pros, cons of the EGO E-Power 18650 vs Smoke Tech E-Power 18650. I see they both can take 2200 - 2800 mah batteries and the only physical difference I see is the switch. Is one better than the other?

"MyVaporStore.com" carries the EGO E-Power 18650 and "Liberty-Flights.com" carries the Smoke Tech E-Power 18650. Both are close in price so I'm confused. Maybe just different manufacturers?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. Notice the different button types. Why is that?

1-18-2012 9-52-43 PM.jpg

I think I found the difference. The silver one is a 18650 and the black with the big cone is a 14650. However, I have seen some reviews of the 18650 with the bottom button type with the big fat cone. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm only asking because I want to purchase one but I like the fat cone type because you can change out the button for $10 should it go bad. On the other one you have to buy a whole new batt tube for $20.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Tanis143

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
www.tandp.us
The ego is manufactured by Joye Tech who make the original ego style battery. The E-power is made by smoktech, which is similar to an ego but different in a few aspects. The Ego 18650 mod uses the same regulation chip that the regular ego's do so its 3.3 volts regulated while the E-power (both the 18650 and 14650) are regulated to 3.7 volts. Also, the Ego 18650 has the exact same threading as the regular ego so anything that works on an ego will work with it while the E-power's outer threading is larger and requires an adapter kit to work with EgoT tanks and the large Ego dual coil mega carto's. I've not tried the Ego 18650 mod yet but I've heard from my local store that its nice. I have a smoktech E-power 14650 mod myself and it was my daily mod til I got a silver bullet with a couple of 18650's.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I would avoid the smoktech 18650 E-power if you can find it, the switch they used on it was pulled for quality reasons but their 14650 system has been rock solid. Between the two the only difference maker would be the 18650 at 3.3v will last a lot longer than the 14650 at 3.7v, however you trade size for power as the 18650 is significantly thicker than the 14650. But either one should last a quite awhile as both are proven quality manufacturers.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the reply Tanis143. I have to admit though, I'm still confused and I just saw someone advertising them as "Ego E-Power". I've seen E-power 18650's with the wide tube and fat cone though. That's the part I don't understand. I'm assuming those don't have the switch issue either. Eh...I dunno. I'll keep on researching....thanks again!

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok, here's what Ty from Liberty Flights just told me when I asked him what the difference was.

In the picture I have above in the first post on the top, the silver one is the "EGO E-Power" which basically means it's an epower that you can use EGO accessories with. The cones, the specific cartomizers that only fit egos, etc.... Whereas with the black one on the bottom you can only use 510 accessories but no ego stuff and that's the Epower.

So with that in addition to what Tanis143 stated above about the voltage, you guys think I'd really notice a difference between 3.3v and 3.7v?

Confusing stuff....geez.

Last edited:

DrBrabham

Jul 19, 2011
NYC
Can someone elaborate on the differences, pros, cons of the EGO E-Power 18650 vs Smoke Tech E-Power 18650. I see they both can take 2200 - 2800 mah batteries and the only physical difference I see is the switch. Is one better than the other?

"MyVaporStore.com" carries the EGO E-Power 18650 and "Liberty-Flights.com" carries the Smoke Tech E-Power 18650. Both are close in price so I'm confused. Maybe just different manufacturers?

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. Notice the different button types. Why is that?

View attachment 73840

I think I found the difference. The silver one is a 18650 and the black with the big cone is a 14650. However, I have seen some reviews of the 18650 with the bottom button type with the big fat cone. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm only asking because I want to purchase one but I like the fat cone type because you can change out the button for $10 should it go bad. On the other one you have to buy a whole new batt tube for $20.

Thanks everyone.

Well first I should tell you that neither one of those mods in the picture is made by Joyetech. The name Ego is used by several manufactures but just bwecause it says Ego doesn't mean it's made by Joyetech. Joyetech does make a mod in this catagory and it just came out. it's called simply the Joyetech eGo 18650

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Ok, here's what Ty from Liberty Flights just told me when I asked him what the difference was.

In the picture I have above in the first post on the top, the silver one is the "EGO E-Power" which basically means it's an epower that you can use EGO accessories with. The cones, the specific cartomizers that only fit egos, etc.... Whereas with the black one on the bottom you can only use 510 accessories but no ego stuff and that's the Epower.

So with that in addition to what Tanis143 stated above about the voltage, you guys think I'd really notice a difference between 3.3v and 3.7v?

Confusing stuff....geez.

I notice the difference between 3.3 and 3.7

SilverSpike

Aug 1, 2011
Denver
Ok I got one of these this past weekend and have a question/problem. I did contact the vendor he did not know but said he would check with the company that makes them. Mybutton flashes a lot. Take a hit two flashes, fine for ten minutes take a hit 5 flashes, fine then 1 flash, fine then 3 flashes. You get the idea. Fire every time I push the button. Have not had it not fire once on any carto but get flashes all the time. Boge 2.0, the dual coil epower cartos it came with, even ce2s. Doesn't matter what carto. Any ideas? Other then this it seems like a solid unit

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok I got one of these this past weekend and have a question/problem. I did contact the vendor he did not know but said he would check with the company that makes them. Mybutton flashes a lot. Take a hit two flashes, fine for ten minutes take a hit 5 flashes, fine then 1 flash, fine then 3 flashes. You get the idea. Fire every time I push the button. Have not had it not fire once on any carto but get flashes all the time. Boge 2.0, the dual coil epower cartos it came with, even ce2s. Doesn't matter what carto. Any ideas? Other then this it seems like a solid unit

I vaguely remember someone else having a similar issue if not the same. Not sure what the outcome was. I'll see if I can find the post and what the resolution was if any.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Last edited:

Hottody

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Temcula CA
I have the joyetech 18650, nice device although the button no longer clicks after a week of use! The replacement is about 9 bucks. I have to say that I love this device, Im not so convened about button as I think it was an anomaly! Bought from ecig city in Laguna beach. I noticed that Vaporbeast.com sells the e-power, the entire kit at a good price. They also offer free shipping!

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
I think there must be a new version of the e-power than what people are taking about here. I bought the top one in your photo, the e-power 18650. Available from...

Ego E-Power or
Parts & Accessories - ePower Mod Compatible Parts - MyFreedomSmokes.com

It's cost about $20 for the body tube, plus batteries and charger. This unit has a 510 and also fits all ego components that I've come across, ego atty cones, and the larger DC ego cartos just fine.

I've only had it a few days but so far, so good.

Last edited:

Tanis143

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Broken Arrow, OK
www.tandp.us
Well first I should tell you that neither one of those mods in the picture is made by Joyetech. The name Ego is used by several manufactures but just bwecause it says Ego doesn't mean it's made by Joyetech. Joyetech does make a mod in this catagory and it just came out. it's called simply the Joyetech eGo 18650

That was my bad. I just saw the other day that JoyeTech made a 18650 mod that was basically a ego switch assembly that was adapted to fit an 18650 case. It looks very similar to the one in the photo, though it has JoyeTech printed on the side. The other upside to the new JoyeTech model is it has the 5 push lockout feature the ego batts have. Though I'm not likely to get it (love my SB too much) its a nice mod to carry in stores. It would really rock with the new EgoC tank system with an LR atty. I'm thinking about getting those once my local supplier has them as parts instead of kits, but I will likely use it on my 14650 e-power with an ego adapter kit.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Ok guys. After reading a bunch of reviews and some careful consideration I pulled the trigger on the eGo EPower 18650. (Pictured below) I made this decision for several reasons. However, the battery life and the fact that I could use it with all my other eGo parts and attachments were the deciding factors. I ordered it from Liberty-Flights and if I didn't give them their due praise I'd be amiss. I ordered it on Thursday of last week and got it on Saturday. That's fast. And Ty who answered all my pre-purchase questions was very patient and courteous and trust me, I didn't make it easy for him. :)

Ok, so let's get to the "PROs". After charging the battery which took no time at all, maybe an hour or 2, I put on a Smoktech 1.7 DCC and it was wonderful. I used my 3.5ml DCC Tank also and that was pretty good too. All in all I think it's a good unit and LF has it at a good price. For $47.99 + $2.99 S&H you get the batt tube w/ switch, 3 Mega DCCs, 2 18650 Batts and a Batt charger oh and a user manual. Not shabby at all.

So now the "CONs". The only problem I can find with this thing so far, which may be a dealbreaker for some folks, is that it won't work with my eGo-T atomizers. Now I'm not sure if this is just a faulty unit or it is by design. I did go to smoktech's website (link below) and I found three different models of the eGo EPower they sell but they state that they should all work with eGo-T parts so I have no idea.

I have an email out to Liberty-Flights and I will update this post when I get some feedback from them. If anyone have any suggestions or comments feel free to post em up. I'm curious to see what the outcome of this will be.

Smoktech link to eGo Epower units:

ego-epower

The starter kit I purchased from Liberty-Flights:

eGo EPower18650.jpg

Last edited:

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
I'm curious to know in what way doesn't it work? I have the same unit you got, although from a different vendor. When it first arrived I put everything I had on it just to see what worked and what didn't. I remember both my "B" and "C" tanks firing, although I didn't do any major vaping on them - just a quick test. They seemed to be ok. Now, I have to say I've been strickly using Boge LR and ST 1.7 SC on the new epower, but I thought I would let you know the b-tank should be fine.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think there must be a new version of the e-power than what people are taking about here. I bought the top one in your photo, the e-power 18650. Available from...

Ego E-Power or
Parts & Accessories - ePower Mod Compatible Parts - MyFreedomSmokes.com

It's cost about $20 for the body tube, plus batteries and charger. This unit has a 510 and also fits all ego components that I've come across, ego atty cones, and the larger DC ego cartos just fine.

I've only had it a few days but so far, so good.

Mine is the same as yours. I was going to buy mine from MFS as well but I had a credit at Liberty Flights so I went with them. Have you tried yours with an eGo-T atomizer? The one with the little sharp pin on the wick in the middle to pierce the gasket on the tanks? That seems to be the only thing it's not working with for me.

micksf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2011
San Fran
yes sir, see post 16. let me know if you need me to test further.

Mine is the same as yours. I was going to buy mine from MFS as well but I had a credit at Liberty Flights so I went with them. Have you tried yours with an eGo-T atomizer? The one with the little sharp pin on the wick in the middle to pierce the gasket on the tanks? That seems to be the only thing it's not working with for me.

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
yes sir, see post 16. let me know if you need me to test further.

Oh crap...I totally missed that. Duh. Sorry bout that micksf.

Well, as an update I'd recieved a reply from Liberty Flights. He told me to try to adjust the center post in the mod. He said to go in with a pin or a paper clip and try to lift it ever so slightly. He said those are made to "float" because of the different tolerances for the different vendors. I dunno. I'll try to mess with it when I get home from work later this evening and see what happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread