Status
Not open for further replies.

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
Variable volts. variable watts. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me it's the same thing.

Ohm's Law Calculator

It isn't the same thing. A variable wattage mod has to measure the output voltage of the battery and the resistance of the atomizer and then regulate TO a specific amperage in order to get the correct wattage.

Voltage mods just measure the voltage from the battery and then regulate the output of the mod to match the user selected voltage. This requires the user to pre-measure the resistance of the atomizer, plug in their desired amperage and then set the voltage on the mod accordingly. Since the resistance of atomizers change over time, it must be measured periodically by the user and then the user must adjust the voltage to get the desired wattage.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

AZCraig

Dying2Live

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
New Jersey
Just a suggestion: If ProVape made a variable wattage version of the ProVari, I'd buy it and I'm sure many others would too. Any plans for such a device from ProVape in the future ?

AZCraig

yea well if any other VV PV was built even nearly as flawless as the ProVari than I'd buy it, and I'm sure many others would too.

AZCraig

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2011
Mesa, AZ
www.KidneyPuncher.com
I actually wished the ProVari had this feature before I bought it, when comparing it to the Darwin.

It's really a more practical measure, because it's a measure of heat at the coil(s) that is kept constant.

Almost, wattage isn't a measure of heat, but of energy consumed. Wattage through the coil does directly relate to the heat the coil produces, but there are other factors related to heat production as well. Just wanted to clarify....

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
Do you mean a digital readout like the Darwin? That would be a nice added feature. I can calculate the wattage on my ProVari by reading the ato resistance and the voltage mentally. I=E/R and P=IxE. P=Watt, E=volt and I=amp or current. I am happy to just be able to tune in my ProVari for the best taste and TH. I do not concern myself too much about what watt am I at. I believe they make a small digital volt/amp gauge combination like the the digital voltmeter and use yhe P=ie formula. Some one will probably come up with one on ECF sooner or later. I am going to search for it myself.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
To me, it doesn't matter. I tend to vape different juices at different voltages. The cartomizer resistances don't change that much that I've noticed. And I don't like the same voltage at all times during the day. When I first wake up and before going to bed, I like a more mild hit. With my coffee and after meals, I want a murderous hit. Other points during the day, I want it somewhere in between, depending on how much I've been vaping, how stressed I am, etc.

To me, having the ability to set a constant wattage would make no difference. Because I only use cartos and the resistance doesn't change much, if any, and I'm constantly dialing in/changing my voltage, setting it for wattage or voltage doesn't make a difference, it's taste, vapor, and TH that determines where I will set it.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
Back when I made the choice between a Vari and a Darwin...

I picked Darwin, and while I do love the Variable wattage system, the deal sealer for me was the form factor, battery type, and built in charger. Mostly a Lifestyle choice. I'm most often driving/traveling (close to a USB port), or sitting at a computer (again close to a USB port). I felt I'd rather have one unit I could plug in and vape while charging than yet another bag full of vaping related gear (batteries and charger) to carry around and change out every day. Not a bad vape time from a fully charged Darwin away from the wire either! I can easily make an over night plane trip with it on a charge.

For me that's the bigger delima. Do you want the boosted 3.7v removable batteries at 300+ charge cycles in a tube shape and an external charger like the Vari?

Or do you want the in-line USB/passthrough charger with the bucked 12v 1000+ cycle li-poly batteries (way more charge cycles for the same money, but a little more trouble to have replaced a couple of years down the road)?

Do you want a tube and menu interfaces, or do you want the flat Darwin form factor with the dial and swinging arm?

At the end of the day, I think any VV/P device that's working as it should is no big deal to tune up to a great vape with ease. I'm happy with either one...VV or VP.

If you're dead set on cranking up a multiple-coil carto past 13 watts...neither of these VV/P mods will float your boat. Check out the Buzz Pro (reported to be able to hit up to 15 watts with the right carto), or go have something custom built to your specs. Personally, I don't want/need the extra watts on the high end...I'm fine with a dualie in the 6 to 10 watt range...Darwin and Vari can both do that no problem :)

Last edited:

PuffStuff

Dec 27, 2010
PDX
I agree OP, however my biggest complaint with the Provari is the 2.5 max amp draw. Upon e-mailing them re: future revisions they claimed that with existing equipment (attys and cartos) on the market anything above the 2.5 amp draw would lead to a very undesirable vape. That had to be the worst response that could have came back to me. I am above that all day, everyday....and I am lovin' my vapes!!

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
It isn't the same thing. A variable wattage mod has to measure the output voltage of the battery and the resistance of the atomizer and then regulate TO a specific amperage in order to get the correct wattage.

Voltage mods just measure the voltage from the battery and then regulate the output of the mod to match the user selected voltage. This requires the user to pre-measure the resistance of the atomizer, plug in their desired amperage and then set the voltage on the mod accordingly. Since the resistance of atomizers change over time, it must be measured periodically by the user and then the user must adjust the voltage to get the desired wattage.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

AZCraig

Or you could just pop whatever flavor/atomizer you want on your mod, not worry about doing math when you vape, and adjust to taste. This is why I will never buy a mod with an LCD again. I would rather just have my juice taste good and not have to worry about figuring out resistance to properly set my voltage so i get my coil to the right temp.

Blue OG Buzz/Silver Vein Alpha/Green and Black Reo Mini FTW

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
wattage\voltage...6 of one,half a dozen of another

i change the settings till the juice tastes good,,then record those numbers,
should i decide i want to change to a different flavor\carto set up for awhile,,
then come back to it,,i already know what number to use ,,.

i actually get out in the world and do work,,sometimes labor entensive

ppffff ,,,darwin wouldn't last a day in my pocket,,it's plastic

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
2012-01-23 13.48.30.jpg

Like the Darwin...hardest part for me was getting use to the shape coming from tubes. Need to get me a Reo Grand...all mechanical, 3.7, 5 and 6V vaping should cover my needs. I'm happiest in the 5V range I've learned over time with the liquids I most often use.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Almost, wattage isn't a measure of heat, but of energy consumed. Wattage through the coil does directly relate to the heat the coil produces, but there are other factors related to heat production as well. Just wanted to clarify....

Well put, Craig.

To go a step further, more accurate than a power consumed readout (watts) would be temperature of the coil. But, that's not going to happen because this is already confusing to most as the PV industry continues to evolve.

So, what BTU do you like to vape at? LOL

We buy our light bulbs in terms of watts too and we *relate* that wattage to brightness of the lamp. But the more accurate way of determining lamp brightness would be expessed in lumens. The light bulb buying public has no idea what a lumen is, so wattage remains the norm. My guess is that the PV industry will stick to watts as well.

Sorry for steering your thread off track. =) We agree though, it would be cool if dialing in the wattage was available in a well built mod like the Provari.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
Long Beach, California
I don't understand the rational here. If the taste is undesireable just lower the voltage, you are overcooking your liquid. Amperage is not the thing to shoot for, it is the wattage. If amperage is the problem just use higher resistance ato. I think most vapers are just confused on this issue. If it vapes good to you then don't worry what ampere it is just be happy.

andyman97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Upstate NY, USA
They both push current to a coil to vaporize liquid, and from what I've read about the Darwin, they both do it very well. It comes down to which one you personally like better. I don't think one is better than the other. They both are great devices and debating on which is better will always come back to personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread