Status
Not open for further replies.

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
Here is my video on how to re-wick and replace the coil on the Gotvapes Stardust. This just released clearomizer is extremely well designed and should survive for quite awhile. Probably the seals would be the first to go (and if you can figure out how to replace those, they may last years). Everything else is quite solid.

Description from the video:

Many people have been interested in changing the wick on the Stardust since my last video, so this should answer all questions. Please note that we are dealing with electrical currents and if you do not do it right, you could short circuit your batteries - SO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK! That said, if you are comfortable changing the wick and take the necessary precautions (use a multimeter!), there is no reason why a Stardust can't last you many, many months.

Forgot one small step. I run a flame over the wire and wash it off to make sure there's no particulates or machine oil on it.

BTW, after the video, I used a Provari to double-check the ohms reading on the re-wicked Stardust and the Provari got a 1.8 ohm reading, which explains why my vapor was very warm. If you don't like warm vapor, you may want to play around with different wire thicknesses (awg). If unsure, ask for advice on the ECF forums. They are very helpful!

Below are some links:

E-Bay Seller (coinswiesiek) of resistance heating wire (Kanthal A 32 awg 75 ft) - I got my wire very fast.
Resistance heating wire Kanthal A 32 awg 75 ft, | eBay...

ECF Thread on wicks (several links in this thread):
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/262201-mcmaster-wicks.html
If you get McMaster wicks, get the LOOSELY TWISTED ceramic rope:
McMaster-Carr

Clouds of vapor wick and wire for the iatty which can be used as well:
Store...
(They also sell $10 multimeters.)

Mergryphon's Tutorial on using a mulitmeter for ecig users:
Multi-Meter How to for Electronic Cigarette users - YouTube

How to Disassemble and Clean the Stardust:
Gotvapes Stardust: Advanced Cleaning - YouTube

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Robbie,

1st. You need to touch your + & - probes together to get your internal resistance of your meter, then deduct that from your ohm reading to get your true ohm reading.

2nd. if you want ceramic wick go here = Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

3. although the newer fatter Silica wick I find works and taste better then anything else in these ( my opinion only )

4. Nice review :)

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
where can you get these tank carts are they only for ego's stardust are sold out must be a few other names for them would like to give this a try great video

I think they go by the name e-turbo and CE4+ (NOT the CE4). But whatever the name, they're sold out everywhere. They were just released and didn't expect how popular they were but supplies will eventually match demand. Anyway, Gotvapes says they should be getting a big shipment in soon so keep an eye out!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Heh, it's hard to get more than 4 loops! The video may make it seem like there's a lot of room but it's really tiny! Be easier just to get thicker wick--maybe 36 awg (mine was 32)?

Hrm, just noticed cloudsofvapor pulled their wick from the website!

I saw that the same seller has some 36awg wire but the Resistance goes Way Up on it. Not sure if there is a 34awg? That's kinda an Old Ball Size.

BTW - COV has this wick material.

New Odysseus Wick

From what I read, it is 2mm in Diameter. It is Supposed to be Very Similar to what comes in a New CE2.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Robbie,

1st. You need to touch your + & - probes together to get your internal resistance of your meter, then deduct that from your ohm reading to get your true ohm reading.

2nd. if you want ceramic wick go here = Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

3. although the newer fatter Silica wick I find works and taste better then anything else in these ( my opinion only )

4. Nice review :)

That stuff is sort of Pricey isn't it?

What Size and Type do you use?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Heh, it's hard to get more than 4 loops! The video may make it seem like there's a lot of room but it's really tiny! Be easier just to get thicker wick--maybe 36 awg (mine was 32)?

Hrm, just noticed cloudsofvapor pulled their wick from the website!

I saw this on e-Bay and for $5.50 I got it.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It has Slightly Higher Ohms which might work better for me if more than 4 loops is hard to do. I would want to target the ohms around 2.5~2.8 which would work well for my e-Liquids on an eGo.

I have VVPV's but like to buy Cartos that can also be used on an eGo.

RockinRobbieSF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
San Francisco, CA
www.lusternia.com
Just tried this from gutted parts from a CE2. The results are awesome. Getting slightly hotter vapor, which is good in my case. IMO the stardust's vapor is a bit cool for my tastes. If I remember I'll check resistance when I get home this evening.

Great! I was wondering if anyone who watched the video would actually do it!

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Excellent vid Robbie and great info in this thread.

Thank ya folks! Now if I could just get my hands on a few of these I'd be a happy camper. lol

Just ordered some wick from COV. It's cheap enough!

That's funny because I did also. LOL

Damn... Ya'll are wick hogs. LOL They're sold out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread