Do It Yourself: Mirage e-cig battery mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

tornicgr

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
uk
Hi.

This is my attempt to make my own e-cigarette mod. For that I used an old dead mirage battery, that I removed all electronics and battery from its case. Then I used the two remaining unused parts from a 14-in-1 mobile phone charger kit... The AAA battery box, and the USB-charger adapter!!! (The kit also included wall-to-USB charger and 12V-car-to USB chargers)

Anyway, since I removed the original Mirage battery guts, I used a 3.7v Nokia Li-ion battery from an old (broken now) phone. The battery fits in the AAA battery box if I remove the lower spring contacts. I chosen not to solder the power pins of the battery but instead I used some contact pins (very common to find).

Next to the battery I fitted the empty now mirage battery case with only two cables that are attached to the contacts of the threaded end and give power to the atomizer. The AAA box had a mini jack power connector that I had relocated on the bottom of the box, in the space that the mirage battery case left. This mini jack is used to charge the battery, as well to use the USB-charger thing as USB-passthough!!! In the original place of the mini jack I used a small switch (very common on desktop pc) and a bright blue LED in series with a 220 Ohm resistor as an indicator that I actually provide power to the atomizer when I press the button.

Its easy and fun to make, and will save you from charging all the time spare batteries... It will charge in only 1 hour and will last 1-2 days depending on how heavy you are vaping. One advantage of it is that with the manual switch I no more need to try hard to drag on it to vape, as it was happening because of the pneumatic switch on the original battery.

pict2935.jpg

pict2951.jpg

pict2963g.jpg

pict2965.jpg

pict2968.jpg

pict2971.jpg

pict2982.jpg

pict2983.jpg

pict2988.jpg

Thanos

tornicgr

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
uk
@kardjunkie: No, Mirage is not the name of the box but from the original e-cig. Its M402 like model from Mirage Cigarettes - Electronic Cigarette & E Cigarettes

@warp1900: The 3com box is the extension from an old PCMCIA card... It was my first attempt, served me well for about a week, but then I noticed the black AAA box from the charger among my stuff....

I could not resist and immediately discarded a fully working battery just to make this new black box mod!!!

See more details about it on the next photos, as well the original packing of the 14-in-1 USB charger kit... I suppose you can find such kit online, perhaps on ebay... I have found mine locally in a store for 9 euro.

pict2938.jpg

pict2947.jpg

pict2952.jpg

pict2953.jpg

pict2954.jpg

pict2955u.jpg

pict2956.jpg

pict2960.jpg

pict3252.jpg

pict3254.jpg

pict3255.jpg

Thanos

tornicgr

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
uk
tronicgr

Nice mod. Is that 3com box an old data switch?
I have 5 old cell phones around here that have the same battery in them and I cannot find them now that I have a use for them. I even threw all the chargers in the same box.......grrrrr

Yes the 3com box was from a very old laptop ethernet module...

The nice about using old cell phone batteries is that are PROTECTED and you can still use the same charger you used for the cell phone. It will take more time to charge with original cell phone charger though...

The USB charger, that I'm using, from the kit boosts the voltage to 6V for fast 1hour charge!!!! :thumbs:

Thanos

tornicgr

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
uk
What makes all the thread confusing is that you have 2 black boxes and it is not clear if you used parts from both or if it is 2 different boxes that look mostly the same?

:confused::confused:

Or is it that you just used 2 boxes to show what you changed on the original?

---

Its simple... I bought this 14-in-1 USB charger kit, twice!!!! So in the photos I used an original unmodified black box as comparison to see what changes I did! I had to buy another one because a friend of mine wanted one of the car-USB-chargers for his normal ecig. Let me keep the rest of the parts!!!

The changes are very few... Drilled a large hole to fit the empty e-cig battery shell. Removed a few unnecessary battery contacts near the bottom. Then relocated the minijack connector to the bottom of the box drilling new hole there. Installed a switch on the top, in place of the mini jack..

And the best all, no screws anywhere! All fit fine even after modding. Strong too, I must have dropped it a few times on the hard floor, but nothing broke or became loose.

Its more easy to mod this box that anything. All parts included!!! Like it was designed for that purpose!!!

Thanos

warp1900

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
TX
Its simple... I bought this 14-in-1 USB charger kit, twice!!!! So in the photos I used an original unmodified black box as comparison to see what changes I did! I had to buy another one because a friend of mine wanted one of the car-USB-chargers for his normal ecig. Let me keep the rest of the parts!!!

The changes are very few... Drilled a large hole to fit the empty e-cig battery shell. Removed a few unnecessary battery contacts near the bottom. Then relocated the minijack connector to the bottom of the box drilling new hole there. Installed a switch on the top, in place of the mini jack..

And the best all, no screws anywhere! All fit fine even after modding. Strong too, I must have dropped it a few times on the hard floor, but nothing broke or became loose.

Its more easy to mod this box that anything. All parts included!!! Like it was designed for that purpose!!!

Thanos

That clears up the whole thing. :D

Thank you very much Thanos and keep up the good work.

---

tornicgr

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
uk
Last edited:

bigozone

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Kentucky
cool mod. i'm waiting for my 901 to show up and then i'm gonna start making a very similar box.

thanks for the detailed pics, especially the wiring!

two questions,
1. is that 220 ohm resistor just for limiting the power to the led?
2. are there any other electronics required to hook up the cell battery to the atomizor?

i just dug up my old motorola cell phones and the 5 batterys i had for them, they are 3.6 volts but no miliamp ratings printed on them so i'm gonna research that before i go any further.

thanks for any info you can help with,

bigO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread