Glass Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycrt

Moved On
Sep 9, 2011
SouthEast
I was told I asked my question in the wrong forum and that this was a better place to ask it.

I have been reading these posts about building tanks out of syringes and poly tubing and such. I just have to ask. What is wrong with glass tubing? Borosilicate tubing would be strong. Breakage should not be an issue. So is there something that I am missing.

I am looking at the new 18650 mod by Joye and a building a tank for the top just seems to be the right way to go, but I really do not like the idea of plastic or some derivative.

Can someone help?

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Me too. I posted a link to glass tubes in the other thread and I am still thinking about experimenting myself. Hoping to get some good feedback from the more knowledgeable modders. Just in case - here is the link someone else posted for the poly tubing - it also carries glass tubing with almost any size you could think of...

McMaster-Carr

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I think the hardest part of glass tubing would be cutting it to size. Finding a four foot tube of pyrex with a 5/8" ID would be fairly easy. But what would you cut it with. And then you need to polish the ends, so they are not sharp.

Would be interested also, if there is a way...

The site I posted with the glass tubing also sells cutters and the price in reasonable. LT $20... Polishing could be done with dremel attachments. I have done it with other projects so I do not see why it would not fit here. Also the Borosilicate / Pyrex is more heat resistant and not that fragile.

roycrt

Moved On
Sep 9, 2011
SouthEast
You make it seem like I told you to go away. :p I just found this forum myself and figured it would get more response.
There are more modders here. Never said "wrong forum" just this one may result in more help. I'm curious myself. Posting so I can stay updated.

Sorry - did not mean to make it sound like that. There are so many more forums now than there were when I joined ECF - I am having trouble learning how to navigate it.

roycrt

Moved On
Sep 9, 2011
SouthEast
The site I posted with the glass tubing also sells cutters and the price in reasonable. LT $20... Polishing could be done with dremel attachments. I have done it with other projects so I do not see why it would not fit here. Also the Borosilicate / Pyrex is more heat resistant and not that fragile.

I checked the site - thanks. The glass tubing for a 12" piece is actually slightly cheaper than the poly tubing of the same size, which is surprising.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
It's easy to cut with various glass tube cutting tools. I know my local hardware store has the tool to cut sight glass, which they'll let me use -- I used to work there.

Smoothing the ends requires nothing more than aluminum-oxide sandpaper -- same thing we used to smooth the cut ends of the sight glass.

I also notice that Amazon sells glass tubing (through resellers) and also test tubes, although I'm not sure if they'd cut easily or be too thin-walled.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
It does. But honestly, we used to use AO sandpaper on the ends of glass sight tubes, and it gives you that nice frosty "buffed" look, and gets very smooth.

Did you work with melting and heating glass or just cutting? for me it was mostly for bending and stretching to make pipettes

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Did you work with melting and heating glass or just cutting? for me it was mostly for bending and stretching to make pipettes

Just cutting. We used an oddball old plier-like tool with the cutting wheels on a sort of chain. Like this: Glass Tubing Cutter.

We had to cut sight-glass tubing to length, then we'd buff the ends with aluminum-oxide sandpaper (actually it's referred to as sanding cloth) to a nice, clean and smooth edge.

I just figured for keeping it simple and DIY, this would work fine on cut glass tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread