Older People - 55 years and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm 70, does that count? And yes, I smoked for well over 50 years.
    Two strokes, five heart attacks, couldn't breath and was coughing myself to death. Pretty good reason to find an alternative to smoking, don't ya think?
    10 months after starting to vape instead of smoking I can maintain my target heart rate for over an hour on a treadmill, and have to go a lot faster to keep the pulse rate up:ohmy:

Old, and planning on getting a lot older
    now, about that fried chicken .... can you pass the hot sause please

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2011
    NW OH, US
    Over 55 (barely) and started vaping just as soon as I found out it existed! Got into diy shortly after that.

I started smoking at age 11 (rough neighborhood lol!) and by the time I hit 20 I was a pad smoker. Did 2 packs a day for many years. Thing is, I always really enjoyed smoking, and would quit periodically (pregnancy, etc) and successfully, but always missed it. Then I hit 50 and had to quit as prep for a surgery I was having, and found I literally could not!

I'm able to 'enjoy' the same experiences I enjoyed with cigarettes (flavor, relaxation, something to do with my hand/mouth, etc) in a much more pleasant way now, w/o the torture of nic withdrawal. To me it's a no brainer ;)

phonedude

DIY Enthusiast
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 21, 2011
    Kansas
    I'm 58 and I wish vaping had been around earlier. Wheezed all the time. My breathing was horrible. Couldn't take a deep breath without coughing. Broke a rib from coughing so hard. And still kept smoking 2-3 PAD. Had given up quitting as stress and depression always got me smoking again.

And now its been almost a year since I had a nasty cigarette. No more breathing problems. No more wheezing. Now I use Kleenex to wipe up e-juice and not to cough into.

It really is miraculous. YMMV.

:)

murrajes

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2011
    Austin
    Almost 55, so I'm sticking my big nose in this thread! Smoked for over 35 years. Have heart problems and stroke in my family history. About a year ago, I was feeling numbness in my arms at night when I slept. So horrible of pain that it would wake me up. Tried to quit so many times. I was a serial quitter. I quit smoking every. single. day. Sometimes for days or weeks at a time. Just long enough to get to feeling better and then start up again. Then I found these :) Been vaping since November.

My arms don't go to sleep anymore. I just hope the damage I've done to my circulatory system can repair itself.

artt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    michigan
    yes at age 58 I wish vaping would have been an option 40 years ago. I also kick myself over the fact that when I first saw a segment on the news a number of years back concerning e-cigs I thought, "If it sounds to good to be true" and dismissed the idea. Fortunately about 1 1/2 years ago a friend of my wife tried an ecig and liked it, and so do I.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2009
    Raven's Haven, Indiana
    I'll be 57 in a couple of weeks. For 42 years I was a smoker - generally 1 1/2 to 2 PAD. I loved smoking. Even though I quit for the length of two pregnancies I still went back because I missed it so much. The more people nagged me to quit, the more stubborn I was about continuing even though I had chronic bronchitis and had to clear my throat constantly.

When taxes on cigarettes rose and they became too expensive I just started rolling my own (with filtered tubes). One day I was googling in an effort to find less expensive RYO tobacco and saw an ad for an electronic cigarette. Sounded pretty much like pure hokum to me so I googled further and found this forum. After a full day of reading about it I ordered my first PV. I enjoyed it so much I forgot to smoke. I had somehow managed to permanently quit accidentally. That was over 2 1/2 years ago.

No more bronchitis or phlegm. I'm no longer out of breath after minimal effort, and I was able to greatly reduce my blood pressure meds. These things are life savers and I've spread the love to a great many others who are also now either non-smokers or smoke far less.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    55+ here. Smoked since I was 13. Wow I have been saying 35+ years - I just noticed it is a lot more than that... Where were these things 35 years ago or better yet why didn't my mother take me out to the wood shed when she first caught me.

I learned about these things over a year ago, but procrastinated for months, then researched for months, and then thought it out for more months. I started vaping about 4 months ago and I am not going back. I have goals with these things and I plan on sticking to my plan - hypnosis, cold turkey (three times), gum, patches, etc. - none worked, but...

Oh, almost forgot. Just had my annual physical a week ago and all my tests came back with improved results - I am happy, my wife is happy - shoot life is happy...

Last edited:

hersch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2010
    indiana
    I smoked for over 40 years,pack and a half a day..I am going on 64yrs old..I to researched the ecig,after my daughter a nurse told me about them..So I took the plunge in vaping, thanks to my daughter I have been smoke free for 2 years as of this month..I cannot stand the smell of reg now and I don't wheeze any more, which stopped within 3 days after starting vaping..

When I was smoking I could barely go swimming because I would have a hard time catching my breath..And now There is a big improvement on that part..I can take long walks now...I really enjoy vaping I have no side effects,except reg cig I am more sensitive to the smell,nasty smell..I can taste and smell better...:facepalm:

sandscards

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 6, 2012
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I am about to turn 57 and smoked for 35 years or so over a pack a day. I smoked menthol and enjoyed it but I was the only one in my family who smoked. To keep peace had to smoke outside and nobody would ride in my car because of the smell. I didn't really realize it was really that bad until I quit smoking two weeks ago and started to be able to smell it. The thing that pushed me over the edge was the cost increases of the cigarettes and hard breathing. I believe, at least in my head, that I can tell a difference after only two weeks. I am also having a blast with all the little gadgets to play with. Between playing with the new toys and reading this forum I don't have time to go outside to smoke anymore. I might miss something on here. It is really a great support group!

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 9, 2011
    NW OH, US
    I'll be 57 in a couple of weeks. For 42 years I was a smoker - generally 1 1/2 to 2 PAD. I loved smoking. Even though I quit for the length of two pregnancies I still went back because I missed it so much. The more people nagged me to quit, the more stubborn I was about continuing even though I had chronic bronchitis and had to clear my throat constantly.

When taxes on cigarettes rose and they became too expensive I just started rolling my own (with filtered tubes). One day I was googling in an effort to find less expensive RYO tobacco and saw an ad for an electronic cigarette. Sounded pretty much like pure hokum to me so I googled further and found this forum. After a full day of reading about it I ordered my first PV. I enjoyed it so much I forgot to smoke. I had somehow managed to permanently quit accidentally. That was over 2 1/2 years ago.

No more bronchitis or phlegm. I'm no longer out of breath after minimal effort, and I was able to greatly reduce my blood pressure meds. These things are life savers and I've spread the love to a great many others who are also now either non-smokers or smoke far less.

How cool is that? That's exactly how I found out about ecigs (don't you just love google?)!!
    On a more 'negative' note..my husband of 30+ yrs has been smoking 2 packs a day for over 40 yrs and has never been able to quit. I was so hopeful...he coughs, well, like an old man that's been smoking for 40+ yrs :( He was positive about ecigs for awhile...said he was going to 'try them' once he smoked up all our ryo and I figured out the finer points of what we needed.
    I initially got a 'couples kit' of 808's (which didn't cut it for long), then bought us each a kgo kit...have nic in the freezer, pg/vg and over 100 bottles of flavoring. I've had him try every flavor trying to entice him.

Every time he runs out of tobacco and tries a pv he coughs...terribly with each draw, and I know that discourages him. I've tried to 'teach him' different methods...still coughs. I've tried giving him back the 808...he still coughs then buys more tobacco and says he'll try again when he's finished it, etc....etc....

I just bought a Jazz pipe thinking that might entice him (he used to smoke a pipe and seems to think it's cool). I'm not nagging, and trying to be helpful, I just don't know what else to 'try' at this point.

Anyone else have problems with coughing when you started??

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2010
    USA
    I get Social Security next month. Whoopee! I smoked for about 45 years. Had a heart attack in 2000 and diagnosed with emphysema in 2006. Finally was able to quit smoking April 2010 with the help of an Ecigarette. All medical test are positive now and my doctors are very happy and supportive with my progress. I can even laugh now without going into a coughing fit. Best thing I have done for my health ever.

cardiackid

ECF Veteran
    Dec 6, 2011
    Falcon Lake
    I'm 9 yrs shy for this but having a heart attack in October AND seeing how long it takes to recuperate life lost from smoking makes me even I'd say! I AM still struggling between stinkies @ work & vaping...even though I KNOW what's right.
    I do prefer the vaping though...what I need is to be laid off (work & smokes seem to go together...)
    I'll change - I promise, you people are all a great help

Gadd

ECF Veteran
    Nov 16, 2010
    ARKANSAS
    I'm 65, and had smoked for 46 yrs prior to trying an e-cigarette. I always enjoyed smoking and had made half hearted attempts to quit a few times, but I really didn't want to quit. My wife is very sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I always went outside to have a hit, and when I would come back in, she wouldn't stay in the same room with me for quite a while. Since I went to vaping, I now know why. People that smoke, STINK. I had cardiac bypass surgery and was told by my Dr. that I was borderline COPD. Still smoked. My wife has never been a nag about it but I know that it bothered her, but one day she showed me an ad in a magazine for one of those e-cigarette systems that advertise on tv. She asked if I would try it if she bought me one. I told her to let me look into it. I then began some research on the Net and found lots of information, including this forum. I spent about three days reading everything that I could. I ordered a Penstyle 801 for my first kit. It worked ok, but I soon tired of the cartridges and the mess and shortly after ordered my first ego type kit. Haven't looked back. The day that I got my first e-cig was the last day that I smoked. Lungs are clear, angina has not reappeared, and I don't stink up the house. My wife sits with me again, and even encourages me to vape in the car, because she likes the aroma of some of my favorite flavors.
    Been analog free for about a year and a half. It's all good:)

Last edited:

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Hey guys, don't you think suppliers should give us a senior discount?:p 63 years young here. Been smoking since I was 17. Saw the ads on TV and at first laughed it off. Just couldn't imagine something like that would work. Boy, was I ever wrong. Went to the smoke store to get my usual 2 cartons but we decided to give these new fangled things a try. hubby ended up smoking the cigarettes. I couldn't stand them after a few days of vaping. He is having a few problems vaping so we are trying to trouble shoot it. Right now he is doing the drip on an atty method with unflavored nic juice. So far it is working.
    I know I can take a much much deeper breath now without pain and I no longer have to spent the first hour of the morning coughing and hacking. Love it and will never go back.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    Anyone else have problems with coughing when you started??

Yes, it was the size, speed, and depth of the vape I was taking that caused it.

Think about it this way. You coughed on the first draw from a cigarette way back when - you were putting a foreign substance into your body and it was trying to tell you "Stop That", but as we all know - none of us listened back then.

When you first vape - depending upon the variations you start with you can have the same body fluctuations. Again, you are putting a foreign substance into it and it could be complaining... Your mind is saying - Hey lungs this is better than the one I have been punishing you with for the last XX years, but your lungs are still saying - Hey this is not normal - I do not want it...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread