Get the word out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigelty

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2009
Long Island
I'm just wondering why CASA and ECF members (ecig users) are not striving to get the idea out of how wrongful it is that all these bans are around.

I'm a New Yorker. I have never seen any clips on the news or any other media about how outraged ecig users are about these bans.

Our choice to an alternative that contains less chemicals is currently available and works for some of us. There has been all sorts of talk about these products getting banned-left and right. But it still boggles my mind to see no matter what, tobacco cigarettes are available anytime, anyplace and easier to obtain.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I'm just wondering why CASA and ECF members (ecig users) are not striving to get the idea out of how wrongful it is that all these bans are around.

I'm a New Yorker. I have never seen any clips on the news or any other media about how outraged ecig users are about these bans.

Our choice to an alternative that contains less chemicals is currently available and works for some of us. There has been all sorts of talk about these products getting banned-left and right. But it still boggles my mind to see no matter what, tobacco cigarettes are available anytime, anyplace and easier to obtain.

Well, it's all about money...well and effort.
Here is what I proposed: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...d-usa-today-some-place-large-circulation.html
The good news is there is a movie in the making but it too needs funding: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/261419-we-vapers.html

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

That's because you are looking for these stories in the wrong News sub-forum. This is the forum about the proposed legislation. The other News sub-forum is the Media and General News: Media and General News

We aren't trying to keep this a secret, m'dear. But unless you have lots of bucks to spend on advertising, you are at the mercy of reporters and editors who don't want to run a story on e-cigarettes every day. Usually there needs to be something that just happened or is about to happen (such as a vote on a proposed ban on sales or use) for a reporter to become interested.

This story in USA Today last year was good. N.Y. lawmakers aim to ban 'e-cigarettes' - USATODAY.com

But notice how it tied to a proposed bill in Albany.

The more recent New York Times article was excellent. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/media-general-news/237825-ny-times-good-article.html

There are more. Spend some time in the Media and General News forum.

And remember, local folks have a much better chance of getting a story done in their local media. If enough ECF members developed a relationship with a local reporter, we could have a story going every day across the country. And then there is always the Letter to the Editor. Again, a Letter to the Editor needs to tie into news in a timely manner.

Suppose the Washington Post Health section runs a story on smoking cessation. I could compose a Letter to the Editor that points out that they left out the most effective method for getting off smokes in years: the electronic vaporizer (aka "e-cigarette.) But I would need to submit that letter within a day or two of the publication of the story. No matter how great the letter is, it nearly always needs to have a tie in with some other story they published recently.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I totally agree with the OP. Why isn't the CASAA President on TV? Or the other community reps for that matter. Why no big articles about it in the press? Why nothing on the radio from Placebo @CASAA for example? And what has Kristin done lately, I ask?

These people are all slackers and need to wake up. I have Liked the OP's post and urge you to do the same. It's time our community reps did something for us!

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
And here is another opportunity to follow the OP's advice. Wouldn't it be great if there were a documentary film by vapers about vapers?

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/legislation-news/261419-we-vapers.html

To donate to this very important project: We Are Vapers -- IndieGoGo

Also, participate in social networking opportunities.

Follow CASAA on Twitterr: CASAAmedia
Read and post on our Facebook page: Welcome to Facebook
Join the group created by CASAA members: Log in | Facebook

And to answer Rolygate's question: CASAA.org

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yes Elaine. I'm sure it will come. We will come up and see you sometime.

Bill - I know you have trouble with my sense of humour, but please persevere. Honestly, I need it to face the continual grind.

We have all spent a combined million hours plus on these efforts - Bill more than most, I should imagine - so it just amused me to find someone who is not aware of the huge amount of work done here. At first I was gobsmacked, as we say over here; then, I simply decided to have a bit of a giggle.

However the OP does have a point, I suppose: our work is, to certain extent, underground and behind-the-scenes. And if this is the impression one person has, there will be millions of others for whom the same applies. Perhaps it is now time that we engaged in some sort of more visible type of advocacy, since there is a penalty for being invisible. Some may feel that advertising - because this is what I am talking about - is crude, the wrong approach, or just too expensive. That may be true in part, but we ignore it at our peril. The modern world only sees what is advertised.

I for one would be keen to see a far more visible role for THR-realism advocates.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I also firmly believe that your efforts, Bill, would be strengthened immeasurably by having a website, even if only of one page. There are so many reasons for this, I couldn't even begin to list them.

You simply need one page giving an outline of your work, and your contact details. I'd build it for you tomorrow if you'd let me.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Rolygate, Elaine...Bill!!!!
You guys are my true heroes....That said, I can certainly understand the O.P.'s questions and disappointment. I too was of that persuasion until I started reading and understanding. But I too really believe that we need to be on the offensive. Time is ripe!!! It really is... I have people ask me everyday what I'm doing (while I blow belows of vapor). E-Cigs are everywhere...good ones and bad ones...the bad ones are going to turn off folks who try them- unfortunately and give vaping a bad name (like my neighbors- they've tried them...they didn't work for them- no need to waste their time they say) unless the basic understanding of the concept is that they are a right way and that this really is the miracle, messiah alternative to cigarettes we have all been waiting for!! I wonder how we can get on the offensive a bit more and get the news out? Let's save the smokers!! I've been born again, I tell you!!! And given a second chance because of some e-juice, atomizers and a simple high drain battery. Unfortunately, it seems to take some kind of "ban" or legislative action for people in "restricted" areas to "wake up" and begin to fight and the fight seems to also be restricted to that particular instance and those who joined in are back at their pace of life and take for granted again their lives. I do like the idea that we as Vapers are Mad and we want to tell the world why. Is there nothing more that we can do to propel the energy in that direction??

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Is there nothing more that we can do to propel the energy in that direction??
If CASAA had a lot more money, I'm sure there is a lot more they could do.

But without a lot more money, I would imagine they are pretty much stuck with doing about what they are doing.
There's a lot of smart people on the CASAA board of directors and I'm sure they constantly looking for ways to have more impact.

I have spent that last two years trying to think of ways to get our message out without money, and this is all I have...

1) Have a big celebrity like Katherine Heigl, Rush Limbaugh, or Leonardo DiCaprio learn the issues and speak up about them
2) Have someone create a high-quality documentary about vaping, vapers, and harm reduction
3) Organize some form of highly visible protest that will make the national news
3) This idea I had for getting positive press all across the country

As far as (2) regarding the documentary, that project is actually now taking place!!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rs-exploration-into-world-harm-reduction.html

1) Have a big celebrity like Katherine Heigl, Rush Limbaugh, or Leonardo DiCaprio learn the issues and speak up about them
2) Have someone create a high-quality documentary about vaping, vapers, and harm reduction
3) Organize some form of highly visible protest that will make the national news
4) This idea I had for getting positive press all across the country

5. Attend a CASAA member meeting and share ideas and get involved.
6. Organize, tell a friend, or simply attend a vape meeting for World Vaping Day, March 22.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
It doesn't take money to fume in the news about bans. Why aren't the bans being covered in the news? There's a fume right there. What else is going to slip by the public eye? What already has? Why aren't the journalists (avg) researching fully the pros and cons of safer alternatives? Why are our lobbyists and senators going on sabatoge hearsay instead of facts and research? The question is, how do we start a newsworthy "news" story ....

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
This is not a criticism of anyone posting here but there is too much criticism of other people not doing this or not doing that. The bottom line is if everyone would do what they could to help solve our problems rather than wondering why "they" don"t do this or do that,we could be more effective as a community. If everyone spent more time "doing" than complaining,effective solutions might be achieved. If you do nothing,you are part of the problem and not the solution.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Every newspaper has a "Featured Story" section, a "Highlight a Community Member" area, and so forth.
If we had a decent author, (and proofreader and approval by the person featured), those could be submitted to newspapers in their areas. For instance, what if every Caasa member had a "feature" article about their fight against Safer Alternative bans and so forth. We are spread out across the nations....
These feature articles would have references to Bill, Elaines, Kristin, etc featured articles and of course the org as well.

Where there's a will....

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
What is one of CASAA's slogans?

"CASAA fights for vapers. I am CASAA."

What that means is: CASAA is nothing without active members willing to step up and do the work that needs to be done. CASAA is not only comprised of the 9 volunteer directors and 2 advisers on the board of directors. We NEED an active and generous membership.

Do people really expect 9 unpaid volunteers, who are scattered all across the U.S. with jobs and families of their own, to battle the anti-electronic cigarette groups all alone and with barely any funding? We NEED active members to donate time and money if they want to see results. Think about it - 9 volunteers with little time and little money against the massive funding, staff, lobbyists and resources of the ALA, ACS, CFTFK, FDA, etc.

CASAA was formed only 27 months ago with no money at all, no experience in lobbying or running a non-profit organization, an empty web site and at many times only 3-4 actively working directors out of the 12 originally elected. Today, we have built that into 9 very active directors; raised over $20k (which is still a tiny amount compared to what the opposition has and not nearly enough to do what everyone expects us to do); built up a web site filled with studies, research and articles; have 2 busy facebook pages, twitter, YouTube and Google+ accounts; monthly newsletters; an informative and timely blog; google member map; member forum and even an "award" program to raise awareness of misinformation being given out by anti organizations. CASAA has incorporated; been working on getting tax-exempt status; participated in a high-profile e-cigarette trial; testified personally before numerous legislative bodies and committees, including the FDA TPSAC meetings; been quoted and interviewed by the media; gained two very knowledgeable advisors and numerous contacts in the Tobacco Harm Reduction community; written a few dozen letters to boards of health and legislators opposing various bans; helped with studies and surveys; done our own e-cigarette user survey; attended vape meets; written numerous articles and press statements; created hand-out cards, flyers, tri-folds, window stickers and decals and a medical info-graph for members; appeared on vaping shows, provided advice to vendors; recruited dozens of Regional Representatives; advising on a documentary; promoting World Vaping Day and hold bi-weekly member meetings (remember this is all while having real jobs and families; often donating funds out of our own pockets and pinching every penny that came in.)

To ask, "Why is CASAA not striving to ___________ ?" is a bit of a slap in the face considering everything we have managed to accomplish and do accomplish daily with so little resources and in such little time. IMO, a better question would be, "Why aren't more people getting involved and helping CASAA with its mission?"

CASAA needs:
- 3 more people to serve on the board of directors
- Many, many more active Regional Representatives (several states have NONE, still including Hawaii, where CASAA was recently involved in stopping a 70% e-cigarette tax)
- More than just the same 20-40 members attending the Member Meetings & helping with tasks
- Monetary donations
- Members who have legislative contacts helping out more
- Members who have media contacts getting us in touch with those contacts
- Members who are doctors and nurses being more involved
- Many more members to participate in Call to Actions (which we do for every ban brought to our attention in order to "get the idea out of how wrongful it is that all these bans are around.")
- Members to show up and speak at committee and legislative hearings to oppose bans

Without these things, the CASAA board of directors will not be able to do much more than it already does - which is pretty much everything humanly possible with our manpower and funds. I think if I see one more post about "Why doesn't CASAA just ______________?" I'll probably lose it. The CASAA board is doing everything it can - it's time for vapers to step up if they want to see more being done.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
So then its not feasible for every member (i thought there were more than nine) to submit an article to their local papers discussing their battle with bans? The nine leaders could be spotlighted nationally.....

sorry if the suggestion riled feathers. wasnt meant to be taken attackatively . just hoping to get the word out. (For free)

So then its not feasible for every member (i thought there were more than nine) to submit an article to their local papers discussing their battle with bans? The nine leaders could be spotlighted nationally.....

sorry if the suggestion riled feathers. wasnt meant to be taken attackatively . just hoping to get the word out. (For free)

CASAA has far more than 9 members, but there are only 9 currently volunteering on the Board of Directors.

You bring up a very good point in that every single person who switches from smoking to vaping is a potentially gripping "personal interest" story on what might be an otherwise slow news day. The trick is having a "hook" into the media to run the story, but one possibility is the upcoming National Vaping Day, March 22: Anyone, regardless if you are a registered CASAA member or an official or unofficial representative of "World Vaping Day" or whether you are contributing to "We Are Vapers" or "We Are CASAA", anyone could submit a Letter to the Editor or draft news story describing their own journey from smoking to a smoke-free alternative and how that has impacted your life and the people around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread